Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,136 times

Advertisements

It's not like there is only the American south or NJ. Some of the people here act like there are only two options. Just ridiculous. This is a big country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,938,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
LOL. I love how people will pay $20k+ in RE taxes for a McMansion that ends up in a politician's pockets all for the sake of "good" pizza and bagels. It's like a 10 year old who gets beat by his dad daily but says it's cool since he pays the mortgage. I've only been here for the past 3 months for a project, so maybe I'm missing a silver lining here. Or not.
The whole premise of this thread was voicing your displeasure with NJ under the guise of a benign question. By your statements, you obviously have your mind made up on New Jersey.
When your project is up, be on your way.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Agreed. A silver lining? Do you believe in Mary Poppins too?
You just don't get this country in general. That's very obvious. Have fun in podunk.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM

9,332 posts, read 20,673,781 times
Quote:
LOL. I love how people will pay $20k+ in RE taxes for a McMansion that ends up in a politician's pockets all for the sake of "good" pizza and bagels. It's like a 10 year old who gets beat by his dad daily but says it's cool since he pays the mortgage. I've only been here for the past 3 months for a project, so maybe I'm missing a silver lining here. Or not.
Where did you live, prior to your arrival in NJ, Newjitty?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,505,388 times
Quote:
Okay so I moved away but you can't say anything bad about NJ or watch out!!! Lets put it this way, if I could afford it I'd be back. It is a great place to live and a great culture. It is near the greatest city in the world. Old growth trees and little towns with cool villages. Spring lake. The pizza and bagels are only the icing on the cake. The awesome people. I come back to the NJ forum because people on this site have that NJ sense of humor I so miss. Sadly, It has just become too expensive for most people.

FYI if you want to see McMansions you should come to GA. Georgia wrote the book. It is a whole different ballgame.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,351,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Okay so I moved away but you can't say anything bad about NJ or watch out!!! Lets put it this way, if I could afford it I'd be back. It is a great place to live and a great culture. It is near the greatest city in the world. Old growth trees and little towns with cool villages. Spring lake. The pizza and bagels are only the icing on the cake. The awesome people. I come back to the NJ forum because people on this site have that NJ sense of humor I so miss. Sadly, It has just become too expensive for most people.
For all of it's flaws it's still the greatest state in the union. But you have it pegged right there. It's become way too expensive. If you're already settled in and you're doing...you know...okay...then everything's cool. Attempt to start over in New Jersey you're going to go into severe sticker shock. I'm talking like a holy **** type of sticker shock. That's what p***es me off about the state. It's a state I love that I can no longer afford a decent quality of life in. I still love it to death.

So with that said, I think ol' Newjitty ought to be well on his way out once his project is up. So long, pally. Make some room for those who desire to come back.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 20,417 times
I certainly don't feel like I have to apologize for posting to this thread, or just naturally having some curiosity about a state I lived in for 47 of my first 49 years - of COURSE I'm still going to have something of an interest in things regarding NJ.

That does NOT mean, however, that I would want to move back.

Re: Jersey sarcasm as a way of life; when I first moved out here, my wife couldn't figure out what I was trying to say when I spoke in NJSARCASM-ESE. After trying to explain myself a few times, I finally asked her: "Have you ever seen any movies with Danny DeVito? And you know the way he talks?" That's when the light came on. We didn't have any problems communicating after that.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Nobody in my background talks anything like Danny Devito and I am not the type to spend lots of time looking back. With my life it would have held me back. I just don't judge people who never looked back. Whatever works for ya.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 AM

327 posts, read 879,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Where did you live, prior to your arrival in NJ, Newjitty?

Hey pal, I'm from the small podunk of Manhattan, though London originally. I think what irks me the most is its people's passive aggressive stance against blatant fiscal rape by the state's politicians. Everyone cries about it, though who actually does anything? On the plus side, Bergen County feels like a place on its own, not as backwards as the rest of the state seems. Of course I'm still an outsider, so again I might be missing something, still don't think so though. Maybe pizza and bagels should be higher on my priority list over boosting my own retirement from RE tax savings?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM

17 posts, read 40,020 times
We moved down to NE North Carolina a year ago. I do miss NJ a lot. I lived there all my life and find it hard adjusting to a new place. I am used to the Jersey way of life. A big problem here is the lack of jobs, good paying jobs and jobs period. I don't miss the winter weather or the traffic or the high cost of housing. Here the houses are cheaper and the taxes on them as well but everything else including surprisingly car insurance is just as expensive.
I could see myself moving back to NJ some day but I imagine it would have to be in South Jersey and not North Jersey where I am from. I always say if I won the lottery I would buy a house in Jersey to live during the summer and winter down here. All our family is up that way and that is hard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey