Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Clifton, NJ and at age 26, I packed up and moved to Nashviile, TN. No, I have no looked back. It was the best and riskiest thing I have ever done. This is my own personal opinion, but I think NJ is dirty, over-crowded, and polluted. In addition, I believe you need a passport to enter the state now, since it is looking more like a middle-eastern country than a state in America. Moving to Tennessee made me feel like I was once again, in America. Mind you, that is my personal experience and feelings. If you are happy in NJ, that is wonderful, but it was no longer the right place for me. I now live in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles outside of Nashville, and I couldn't be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Hey pal, I'm from the small podunk of Manhattan, though London originally. I think what irks me the most is its people's passive aggressive stance against blatant fiscal rape by the state's politicians. Everyone cries about it, though who actually does anything? On the plus side, Bergen County feels like a place on its own, not as backwards as the rest of the state seems. Of course I'm still an outsider, so again I might be missing something, still don't think so though. Maybe pizza and bagels should be higher on my priority list over boosting my own retirement from RE tax savings?

I could create endless threads & expound on the nauseating provincial nature across the river of those who love to love themselves & hate everything else. I could discuss the fact that you view this very large world through a pinhole.
That would be too easy though.
Everyone knows this.
New Jersey is, in fact, not Manhattan. Ireland is not Venezuela. Madagascar is not Finland. Gabon is not Cambodia. Wow! What a surprise.
If anyone is being passive aggressive............. It's you. Just make the "I'm upset at the fact that I'm in NJ" thread already. Stop hiding behind this thinly veiled curiosity.
Your intentions for this post are as clear as glass my friend.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I believe you need a passport to enter the state now, since it is looking more like a middle-eastern country than a state in America.
Yikes!!!!!!
I, for one, am also overjoyed you moved. That sort of mind frame should be below the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Yes we all hear that there are parts of the state that seem like a foreign country- that is not the entire state.

And podunk is a state of mind. When you live in a bubble you live in a bubble. Pigs nuckle, metropolis, whereever. Do you get that?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Americans are generally passive in most of the country in regard to politics. Passive agressive might be more common in the future. It depends on what happens in the next few years.

What are you doing about it other than bitching on here?
Whoever the hell you are- LOL zzzzzzzzzzz

You are aware of all the social classes and their equity and you just can't get it? That post is a joke post. There is no way you understand the American class system.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Clifton, NJ and at age 26, I packed up and moved to Nashviile, TN. No, I have no looked back. It was the best and riskiest thing I have ever done. This is my own personal opinion, but I think NJ is dirty, over-crowded, and polluted. In addition, I believe you need a passport to enter the state now, since it is looking more like a middle-eastern country than a state in America. Moving to Tennessee made me feel like I was once again, in America. Mind you, that is my personal experience and feelings. If you are happy in NJ, that is wonderful, but it was no longer the right place for me. I now live in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles outside of Nashville, and I couldn't be happier.
I also live in TN , the east . I lived in both North and South Jersey, I did prefer the shore more though. I do miss some things in Jersey, not the traffic and the hurried life . I think almost every state has a crummy area.Would I move back to the shore area if I could, yes, I miss the ocean.But like you said it is just my opinion.Overall I don't think Jersey as dirty,and there are peolpe from differnt countries all over. How boring if we all were clones. But this is JUST MY THOUGHT.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
I now live in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles outside of Nashville, and I couldn't be happier.

You're not at all far from where the Bonnaroo Music Festival takes place. We went the second and third years that they held that thing (2003 and 2004). You must've experienced some severe culture shock. I know just driving through that state it seemed like a whole different world from New Jersey.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM

327 posts, read 881,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I could create endless threads & expound on the nauseating provincial nature across the river of those who love to love themselves & hate everything else. I could discuss the fact that you view this very large world through a pinhole.
That would be too easy though.
Everyone knows this.
New Jersey is, in fact, not Manhattan. Ireland is not Venezuela. Madagascar is not Finland. Gabon is not Cambodia. Wow! What a surprise.
If anyone is being passive aggressive............. It's you. Just make the "I'm upset at the fact that I'm in NJ" thread already. Stop hiding behind this thinly veiled curiosity.
Your intentions for this post are as clear as glass my friend.
I'm based in Manhattan. A project in NJ came up and I was given the offer to take it, which I CHOSE TO DO, since I've never visited before (I'm still foreign to this country remember?) It's ironic that you peg me as a holier-than-thou Manhattanite, based on three posts I had on the topic. Hypocrite much, or just some insecurity about your address vs. mine?

Funny part is the provincial mindset seems strongest in NJ, where people will defend their state to death, as seen on this thread, yet put no plan of action against the real culprit - those yummy Trenton boys . Another case of rape victim mentality where she takes and spreads the blame in place of her perpatrators, in order to avoid seeing the real depth of the state's political (read FISCAL) dysfunction that affects her retirement, her kids' college tuition, the list goes on and on...oh yeh but the pizza at seaside makes up for it! jErSeY 4EvAaaaA

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
Jersey 4 eva indeed. Ive been to almost all states and more than 20 different countries. There are a few places in the world I would seriously consider moving to but NO PLACE is as diverse and awesome as NJ.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM

327 posts, read 881,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Jersey 4 eva indeed. Ive been to almost all states and more than 20 different countries. There are a few places in the world I would seriously consider moving to but NO PLACE is as diverse and awesome as NJ.
just an example of the lack of the state's acuteness to identify blatant droll sarcasm in my fist pumping of "NJevaaa yoooooo mmmmmm WIN WIN WIN!!" fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey