Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times

Advertisements

I participate in "turkey shoots" at vfw/amvets clubs. In this shooting competition you supply your own 12 guage shotgun and the clubs provides the shells and paper targets. Everyone fires at their specific target and the individual with the most pellets in thye bullseye wins a frozen turkey, ham, etc. As you step to the firing line the diameter of the choke in your shot gun is checked by a club representative by sliding a gauge inside the barrel....if it goes in you pass....if your choke is too tight and the gauge won't fit in your shotgun is eliminated from use in competition.
I attened a shoot two weeks ago at a vfw hall always open to the public and the chokes on my shotguns were all tested with their gauge and passed. I did exceptionally well that week winning 10 of 21 shoots. I even donated 3 of the won turkeys to the needy. The next week I was told I couldn't use a certain shotgun as they (the club) felt the barrel had been extended because the finish on the barrel was worn at the end. In fact, the shotgun is 70 years old and the finish is worn, however, the barrel has not been extended so their cause to eliminate that shotgun from use is baseless. They then proceeded to pull out a different choke check gauge from the one they used the week before which didn't fit into any of the shotguns I used the week before, effectively eliminating me from competing. When I asked where was the guage they used the prior week I was told it was lost but they claimed the new one was the exact same size as the old one. When I pointed out this had to be impossible as I was able to compete the prior week with the exact same shotguns I was asked to leave and banned from coming back without explanation. I was told the "club" could make any decisions who could compete at its own "discretion" without any explanation. I didn't do anything wrong but find myself eliminated without any just cause. Is this legal ? Is this discrimination in any form. Do I have any legal recourse in this situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
I would say you have no legal recourse. They changed the rules (which they are allowed to do) If you no longer qualify under the new rules there is nothing you can do about it. If they refused to give you the prizes you won under the previous rules then you may have a case but thats it. Just my opinion, I am no legal expert in any way.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Agree with the above poster. They changed the rules which they have the right to do. Move on.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agree with the above poster. They changed the rules which they have the right to do. Move on.
How does one know what the rules are if they change from week to week ? Many there have "custom" chokes to meet the set standards. Aslo......is it fair to inaccurately label a gun barrel as being extended when it really wasn't ? Shouldn't there be some standard of proof required other than just because "I say so", especially when they are wrong ? People spend a lot of money to have competitive guns at these shoots.....if you wish to change the rules thats fine but do it at the beginning of the season so everyone knows what they are going to be rather than changing them just to eliminate an individual thats doing well while competing within the rules.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
How does one know what the rules are if they change from week to week ? Many there have "custom" chokes to meet the set standards. Aslo......is it fair to inaccurately label a gun barrel as being extended when it really wasn't ? Shouldn't there be some standard of proof required other than just because "I say so", especially when they are wrong ? People spend a lot of money to have competitive guns at these shoots.....if you wish to change the rules thats fine but do it at the beginning of the season so everyone knows what they are going to be rather than changing them just to eliminate an individual thats doing well while competing within the rules.
It may not be FAIR, but there doesn't appear to be anything illegal about it. (Bear in mind that I am NOT a lawyer, or any sort of authority on this type of law at all. This is purely my opinion.) I assume the guage that they used to eliminate you was the same guage used to test everyone's guns that day. If that's true, then they were just enforcing a standard. As to the question, that would only be applicable if you were eliminated from the event based on your being a member of a protected class. Sounds to me like they didn't care about that, but didn't want you in because you were too good a shot. (Which I also find strange, but that's another issue entirely.)
I don't really think this is a legal issue at all. Now, I would venture to guess that you could make it a big PR issue for them, if you decided it was worth it to you.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Bottom line, I don't see where they have done anything illegal. Find another club to join, as you are obviously dissatisfied with this one.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bottom line, I don't see where they have done anything illegal. Find another club to join, as you are obviously dissatisfied with this one.
Ditto, what will bringing legal action get you besides getting to be a member of a club where no one likes you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey