Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

As a law abiding citizen I have nothing to hide, therefor I have no problem with the police stopping me to ask routine questions.

Better them then the ineffective TSA who take an eight hour class and then are turned loose to harrass two year old children and 80 year old grandmothers in the name of "Homeland Security."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
The atmosphere is slowely changing from your innocent until porving guilty to its assumed that your guilty of something and you have to prove your innocence.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As a law abiding citizen I have nothing to hide,
The views of the folks who have a problem with it are probably not always based on whether they have something to hide.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
The views of the folks who have a problem with it are probably not always based on whether they have something to hide.

Very true!!!

Sometimes you don't know what may have precipitated it...

For instance over the summer my town was plagued with juveniles doing car & home breakins...even going as far as to trash one home to the tune of $15,000.00

When I got up one night and seen 2 kids about 15-16 wandering my neighborhood at 3AM, I called the police because more than likely they were up to no good at that hour of the morning....so you never know why the cops may be stopping & asking, sometimes it's because someone has called them

Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
When I got up one night and seen 2 kids about 15-16 wandering my neighborhood at 3AM, I called the police because more than likely they were up to no good at that hour of the morning....
Holy moley, lol

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Holy moley, lol
so what are you implying..that you wouldn't?? Even after I told you the problems over the summer???

You don't have a problem with 2 15-16 year olds wandering around at 3AM?/ This is when most of the car breakins were happening and this is not the city by the way

Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
so what are you implying..that you wouldn't?? Even after I told you the problems over the summer???

You don't have a problem with 2 15-16 year olds wandering around at 3AM?/ This is when most of the car breakins were happening and this is not the city by the way
Right. Man, my weltanschauung is about 180 degrees different than most City-Data users.

I would never call the police simply because anyone--teen or not, is walking on pubilc property (or even private property in a lot of instances--there it would depend on the situation) at any time of the day. I also do not think that the police should be able to stop and question teens (or anyone else) at 3 in the morning (or any other time) just because they're walking around, AND I do not think that any municipality should be able to impose curfews--I really can't think of any possible situation where I'd believe that a curfew would be warranted.

Just in case you're wondering if I ever would call the police, here are a couple reasons why I would: If I saw someone breaking into a car. If I saw someone breaking into a house. If I saw someone walking on a neighbor's private property, where I know the neighbor well and where I have no reason to believe that that person would be at their house, and especially where I see them doing something like walking up to and looking in various windows, etc. In that latter case, I think it's justified to call for trespassing. However, if it was a couple kids on the neighbor's property at 3:00 a.m., AND I know that there's a popular neighborhood shortcut through their property, and that's all I see evidence of, then I wouldn't call, even though they're technically trespassing.

And when I was a teen--13, 14, 15--I occasionally walked with friends in the middle of the night, occasionally took shortcuts across private property, and I lived in a small town at the time (in Florida). I also had friends who occasionally sneaked into or out of windows (their own or other friends)--although I didn't have to do that, because my parents knew that I would do those kinds of things if I wanted to whether they allowed me to or not, and they preferred to be forthright about stuff rather than having me do things subversively, and I feel the same way as a parent.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Right. Man, my weltanschauung is about 180 degrees different than most City-Data users.

I would never call the police simply because anyone--teen or not, is walking on pubilc property (or even private property in a lot of instances--there it would depend on the situation) at any time of the day. I also do not think that the police should be able to stop and question teens (or anyone else) at 3 in the morning (or any other time) just because they're walking around, AND I do not think that any municipality should be able to impose curfews--I really can't think of any possible situation where I'd believe that a curfew would be warranted.

Just in case you're wondering if I ever would call the police, here are a couple reasons why I would: If I saw someone breaking into a car. If I saw someone breaking into a house. If I saw someone walking on a neighbor's private property, where I know the neighbor well and where I have no reason to believe that that person would be at their house, and especially where I see them doing something like walking up to and looking in various windows, etc. In that latter case, I think it's justified to call for trespassing. However, if it was a couple kids on the neighbor's property at 3:00 a.m., AND I know that there's a popular neighborhood shortcut through their property, and that's all I see evidence of, then I wouldn't call, even though they're technically trespassing.

And when I was a teen--13, 14, 15--I occasionally walked with friends in the middle of the night, occasionally took shortcuts across private property, and I lived in a small town at the time (in Florida). I also had friends who occasionally sneaked into or out of windows (their own or other friends)--although I didn't have to do that, because my parents knew that I would do those kinds of things if I wanted to whether they allowed me to or not, and they preferred to be forthright about stuff rather than having me do things subversively, and I feel the same way as a parent.
well in this day and age I wish you the best and hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

I for one don't think there is any reason for young teens to be wandering about at 3 AM...jmo

Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Again, I tend to agree with your views but I don't know that they would work here in NJ. I grew up wandering around this state at all times of the day and night and more times than not there were kids up to no good. Even if that wasn't their original intention. Boredom would set in, peer pressure would take hold, especially in a group, and young males showing off for one another and whatever girls may be around them, was a recipe for trouble.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
First of all I'm fairly certain that South Mountain is still doing managed deer hunts (you'd think he would have mentioned something though) so you would have been in the thick of things if you were hiking on any day other than Sunday in October. Second of all South Mountain used to be a huge gay "cruising" spot. I used to live in West Orange when I was in college and my fiancee and I went there to hike once in the spring and saw lots of guys just standing around or sitting in cars in the middle of the day during the week. We just wrote it off as odd until we saw a news report some months later about the crackdown by the park police/local police.
As far as I've been told, the hunts are only in Jan/Feb, and on designated days (signs are posted all around saying that the res is closed [I was there in Feb when this was going on]) - and I listen to those signs (I surely don't want to be arrested, yet alone have a bullet/arrow through some part of my body).

Yeah, but what would I have to do with a gay guy? Nothing against the gays - but being a female.... and, I've heard the same about gays in the past, from a friend who does boyscouting (leader) there. He says it isn't so common anymore...and, from my own personal observation (from being in the res many many times [I pretty much live in there]) - it seems to be more straight couples walking/hiking or single runners of either gender more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey