Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 20,005 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bloomfield and when it came time to buy my own home, my wife and I decided to buy here. We recently just had our first child and decided that my wife would stay at home to raise him. While I am very happy with our decision, it unfortunately means that we now have one income instead of two. The mortgage payments and property taxes are such that we're spending more money on housing than I feel comfortable with.

A friend told me about his brother moving to Eastern PA. It sounded like there were a bunch of people moving out of NJ to that area based on cost of living. Schools seemed to be good quality and people were getting more house for their dollar out there. All things which are very important to us.

After some thought, however, I came to the realization that I just can't do it. I love NJ too much. I don't want to ever leave. So, within NJ, I am looking for a similar sized home (3 br, 2 bath) to the one that we have now but for less money. I'm hoping to spend in the neighborhood of $350,000, but could possibly go up to $400,000 if the property taxes were reasonable. (I'm paying $10,000 which I consider quite unreasonable, but par for the course in Northern NJ.)

I'm working from home these days for a company based out of state, so commute isn't a huge issue for me. However, with the economy the way it is, you never know. So, if I ever end up looking for a job, I'd like to be within shot of New Brunswick, Princeton, Philly, or New York. If I end up job hunting, I figure I would search those places first.

Any one have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,438 times
Are you looking for single family home?
Old Bridge might not be a bad choice for you...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomfield_denizen View Post
I'm working from home these days for a company based out of state, so commute isn't a huge issue for me. However, with the economy the way it is, you never know. So, if I ever end up looking for a job, I'd like to be within shot of New Brunswick, Princeton, Philly, or New York. If I end up job hunting, I figure I would search those places first.

Any one have any suggestions?
Start around the Northeast Corridor train line and work out from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
+1 as a viable option.

You may also want to look into Freehold. Route 133 takes you from Freehold and dumps you out just east of Princeton Junction which is one of the stops along the Northeast Corridor.

If you are concerned about your position now, you may want to get connected with some of the people in your field through a website like LinkedIn.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, single family home. I'll check out Old Bridge. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Start around the Northeast Corridor train line and work out from there.
I like that strategy. Thanks!

... Freehold is a definite possibility.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I made this goofy map a while ago about towns that compares average household income to average sales price:

Based on this map, a town like Spotswood (near Old Bridge) might not be such a bad choice.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 AM

171 posts, read 815,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomfield_denizen View Post
Yup, single family home. I'll check out Old Bridge. Thanks!
I've lived in Old Bridge for 2 and a half years now. It's a nice, family friendly town, all the moms are home with the kids (I am too). There are a lot of houses in your price range. We have a split level 3bd 2 bath, nice yard. Taxes are just under $6,000. Tons to chose from for under $400,000. I live in Sayerwood South, nice area, tons of kids, bus stop is close, no train in town. Library, ice skating rink, tennis court are also close.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn76 View Post
I've lived in Old Bridge for 2 and a half years now. It's a nice, family friendly town, all the moms are home with the kids (I am too). There are a lot of houses in your price range. We have a split level 3bd 2 bath, nice yard. Taxes are just under $6,000. Tons to chose from for under $400,000. I live in Sayerwood South, nice area, tons of kids, bus stop is close, no train in town. Library, ice skating rink, tennis court are also close.
I grew up in Sayrewoods South. I would move back there in a heartbeat if I found the right property.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM

171 posts, read 815,352 times
Quote:
I grew up in Sayrewoods South. I would move back there in a heartbeat if I found the right property.
Are you kidding, that's so funny...
What's the right property? There is a ton for sale, and they're all similar...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn76 View Post
Are you kidding, that's so funny...
What's the right property? There is a ton for sale, and they're all similar...

Right now we are looking to rent until the economic climate calms down a little bit. The house would have to be updated - because we are going into a rental situation, we don't want to be dissatisfied from the moment we first walked in the door, you know what I mean?

I grew up on Cindy Street - 5 houses from carpenter school. My parents sold the house in 2002, and it just resold over the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey