U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 17,549 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is my first post here; I have a NJ-related question that I thought someone here could answer.

I live in North Carolina and have an NC drivers license. A couple of weeks ago, I was staying in Jersey during a vacation and catching the PATH train from Jersey City into New York each day. On a Saturday, I parked at a Jersey City meter. I checked all the other cars around me - no one had paid a meter. There was no sticker on the meter giving enforcement times. There was no sign on the street listing enforcement times. It was Saturday. So I parked, and I got a ticket.

The ticket claims that my "New Jersey driving privileges" could be revoked if I don't pay. Of course, I don't have a NJ license. The woman at the Jersey City courthouse that I talked to by the phone claimed it would follow me to NC, but for all I know, that was an empty threat. It's hard for me to believe the NC DMV would suspend my license for an unpaid ticket in Jersey. I don't plan on going back to NJ any time soon; could I probably get away with not paying it? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM

1,041 posts, read 2,934,898 times
Just pay the ticket. You could have your driving priveleges revoked in NJ - so if you happen to be driving through even to go to say, NY, and get pulled over, you can be arrested. Just pay the ticket, otherwise one small ticket will turn into thousands of dollars.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 7,977,799 times
For most traffic tickets, states will "honor" outstanding fines etc of other states and can suspend your license in your own state. However, I don't think that parking violations fall under this, or at least are less common and may vary by state.

But it could definitely come back to haunt you if you ever have a traffic offense in NJ in the future.

Sounds like ticket that you might otherwise try to fight if you were local.

I guess you have to balance the small possible future risk vs. the cost of the ticket. For me, if it is under $100, I'd probably just pay it.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 17,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
For most traffic tickets, states will "honor" outstanding fines etc of other states and can suspend your license in your own state. However, I don't think that parking violations fall under this, or at least are less common and may vary by state.

But it could definitely come back to haunt you if you ever have a traffic offense in NJ in the future.

Sounds like ticket that you might otherwise try to fight if you were local.

I guess you have to balance the small possible future risk vs. the cost of the ticket. For me, if it is under $100, I'd probably just pay it.
It's only $29. And I obviously can't come back to NJ to fight it. It's just sort of the principle of the thing.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:31 PM

Not worth the principle if your license is suspended - and NJ will not hesitate to suspend it. Do you really want to not be able to legally drive in a state over $29...?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 PM

6,699 posts, read 17,173,218 times
$29?? Pay it. Not worth the hassle if you ever happen to be driving or parking in New Jersey ever again ever ever ever. I get b.s. tickets in the city sometimes. They're $84. But you can't fight it. You won't win. So why bother? There's no such thing as innocent until proven guilty. It's guilty. period. $29 is a small price to pay to absolve yourself of the whole slimey mess.

Oh, and thanks for visiting. Come back again.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Not only that - and I'm not 100% sure of this - but they might even be able to send you into collections over that measily $29, which will ruin your credit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey