Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times

Advertisements

been using my neighbors wifi for the last three days because comcast messed up our connection once again.

dear neighbor, thank you for not using a pwd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
been using my neighbors wifi for the last three days because comcast messed up our connection once again.

dear neighbor, thank you for not using a pwd.
Precisely why I leave a net connection open. Its neighborly

Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 AM

234 posts, read 537,258 times
Could be that because I have been in Information Security and Risk Management for so long, that I am uber paranoid, but then again, that's what I get paid to do.

"Security requires a particular mindset. Security professionals -- at least the good ones -- see the world differently. They can't walk into a store without noticing how they might shoplift. They can't use a computer without wondering about the security vulnerabilities. They can't vote without trying to figure out how to vote twice. They just can't help it. This kind of thinking is not natural for most people. It's not natural for engineers. Good engineering involves thinking about how things can be made to work; the security mindset involves thinking about how things can be made to fail. It involves thinking like an attacker, an adversary or a criminal. You don't have to exploit the vulnerabilities you find, but if you don't see the world that way, you'll never notice most security problems."This is from an article called "Inside the Twisted Mind of the Security Professional" Commentary: Inside the Twisted Mind of the Security Professional

Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
Could be that because I have been in Information Security and Risk Management for so long, that I am uber paranoid, but then again, that's what I get paid to do.
I used to do pen testing, so I understand the mindset.

At the same time, as many here know, I'm arrogant - so arrogant that I'm incredibly doubtful anyone would attempt intrusion, beyond that even MORE doubtful anyone would be able to come close to personal data, and even MORE doubtful that I wouldn't notice...

Firewall is the obvious first. Access to ports for "neighbor" users is highly limited. Then comes my port monitoring, with notification of any user aside from me using an otherwise blocked port. Then comes LIDS (I use the 2.6 tree, so no openwall for me). Add into that some decent monitoring for rootkit activities, and my compulsive checking of logs, and I'm fairly hardened up.

A few years ago, I had stated in my little user agreement page that they were welcome to attempt hacking one specific server. A chunk of people did try; there were three that got in, 2 of which couldn't accomplish anything beyond user level access - one impressed the hell out of me and got root! The culprit? A recent patch I had applied. The person left me a note telling me about it, I had missed it despite my checking a variety of places for security issues on the regular.

I fixed it and gave them shell access as a thank you for finding holes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey