Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 AM

119 posts, read 339,332 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would like some advice please. I was orginally born in Long Island New York and like many other New Yorkers in the late 80's, my family relocated to South Florida. It was paradise when we first got here. I loved and still do however I do get scared. I get scared because I am now married and we are expecting a child. Like most South Floridians, I do not feel safe or comfortable raising a child down here. It is a complete shadow of what it used to be however it's all I know. Recently many of my family has moved back up to Long Island or Jersey cause they could not take it down here. In theory it seems great. I know Long Island and have always loved it there. I feel it's a great environment to raise a family and the schools are way better than down here. I do not know much about Jersey but I have to imagine it's along the same lines. I am all for a move to be closer to the family and is overal better for the family. However, I am confused. Any advice from individuals that have lived in SFL and now they are in either Jersey or Long Island or those who are in Jersey and Long Island and are now in SFL? Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
I can't do a fair compare/contrast of the areas, but do have a question - there has got to be 'family friendly' areas in So Fla with great schools - Weston comes to mind. Have you investigated that area?

Good luck to you!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,438 times
Hi I can help you as someone is on Long Island, and looking to move to NJ.

Now - I have a caveat. I might be slightly biased, because I grew up in NJ, but I have been living on Long Island for the past 12 1/2 years. Towns I have lived in up here:

* Hewlett
* East Meadow
* Hicksville
* Amityville Village
* South Huntington

I will tell you that the taxes overall in NJ (depending on the town of course) are cheaper than long island. And that for some reason, higher taxes, unlike long island, doesn't necessarily correlate to better school district. Some of the better school districts in NJ also have some pretty average taxes. I also feel you can get more of a bang for your buck in NJ than on Long Island when you are looking for a place to live.

Are there specific places in NJ you're looking at? Long Island...?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Hello,

I would like some advice please. I was orginally born in Long Island New York and like many other New Yorkers in the late 80's, my family relocated to South Florida. It was paradise when we first got here. I loved and still do however I do get scared. I get scared because I am now married and we are expecting a child. Like most South Floridians, I do not feel safe or comfortable raising a child down here. It is a complete shadow of what it used to be however it's all I know. Recently many of my family has moved back up to Long Island or Jersey cause they could not take it down here. In theory it seems great. I know Long Island and have always loved it there. I feel it's a great environment to raise a family and the schools are way better than down here. I do not know much about Jersey but I have to imagine it's along the same lines. I am all for a move to be closer to the family and is overal better for the family. However, I am confused. Any advice from individuals that have lived in SFL and now they are in either Jersey or Long Island or those who are in Jersey and Long Island and are now in SFL? Thank you for your time!

I never lived in Florida, but my parents and brother moved down there in 1997, so I've spent quite a bit of time down there. They first moved to Boynton Beach. My father died in late '98, and my mother and brother moved to Jacksonville in early '99.

My brother hated Florida from day one. My father was too stubborn a man to admit he didn't like Florida, but I know that deep down he didn't like it either. My mother liked it a little better, but even she thought it wasn't as great as she imagined. There are two seasons in Florida, especially in the South: Hot and Hotter. In Jacksonville, getting to anywhere was usually a 45 minute drive. Way more crime than in NJ. (Outside of a couple of dozen hardcore cities, crime is very low in NJ.) Food is way better in NJ. Food is CHEAPER in NJ. Houses look nice and are cheap in FL, but most are also built of paper. It goes on and on.

My brother came back to NJ in '05, and he's much happier. He immediately got a better job (he looked for a couple of years down in FL). The only thing he misses about Florida is he was able to make some good friends, especially in Jacksonville, but he still keeps in touch with a lot of them.

As far as similarities between LI and Jersey's northern burbs, they are demographically quite similar. Both are affluent areas, both have very good schools. I would say LI has a larger degree of "blue collar wealth" than NJ's burbs, where the more affluent burbs tend to be more white collar. Housing prices are similar.

So, if you want to move back and are looking for something like LI, Northern NJ would be a good choice. Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Thank you all for your reply. The crime in Florida is absolutely rediculous. Every day I turn on the TV and a killing has taken place in Miami. I never ventured down there b/c I think it's filthy. If I were to go back up North, I would perfer to be in Nassau county. I was born in Franklin Square and my relatives live in Floral Park.....both great areas! As for Jersey, the other half of my family lives in Bergen county...Wycoff specifically. I guess the major issue is affordability. I mean South Florida is expensive too but I think you get more house for your buck. I get very torn because we do take advantage of what Florida has such as the beautiful West Coast and Disney. But it still lacks that "lively" feeling that NJ and LI have. I'm confused...lol.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 AM

Well... between bergan county and western nassau - I think you're talking about the same price point both in terms of cost of a house, and cost of taxes.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your reply. The crime in Florida is absolutely rediculous. Every day I turn on the TV and a killing has taken place in Miami. I never ventured down there b/c I think it's filthy. If I were to go back up North, I would perfer to be in Nassau county. I was born in Franklin Square and my relatives live in Floral Park.....both great areas! As for Jersey, the other half of my family lives in Bergen county...Wycoff specifically. I guess the major issue is affordability. I mean South Florida is expensive too but I think you get more house for your buck. I get very torn because we do take advantage of what Florida has such as the beautiful West Coast and Disney. But it still lacks that "lively" feeling that NJ and LI have. I'm confused...lol.

It's funny you mention the "lively" feeling of NJ and LI, because that is one of the first things I noticed about Florida. There is absolutely no sense of community whatsoever. Most of the towns in this area have a sense of community, and it's shown through various town events. You don't get that in Florida.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
It's funny you mention the "lively" feeling of NJ and LI, because that is one of the first things I noticed about Florida. There is absolutely no sense of community whatsoever. Most of the towns in this area have a sense of community, and it's shown through various town events. You don't get that in Florida.
There is none. It's practically lifeless down here in that respect. My wife always says that FL has no personality. I took her to first visit LI a few years back and she loved it b/c of it's personality and it's sense of community. There are no towns here and it's a rarity for people to live in the same house for a long time...like my mother who is living in her house for over 20 years.

Another question is with employment. I know everything centers around the City so does that mean there is really nothing in Northern NJ or LI in regards to employment?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Another question is with employment. I know everything centers around the City so does that mean there is really nothing in Northern NJ or LI in regards to employment?
LI's employment centers are in New Hyde Park and Melville/Farmingdale - also Haupphauge for computer associates.
NJ does have industry as well.
But overall, most of the work in the tri state area is centered in manhattan.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Makes sense. Any information on South Jersey that one can share with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey