Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,626,627 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

It's ultimately up to you whether you want to start looking right away or not. Personally, if I were you I would file for unemployment benefits, and then continue looking for work (which is a requirement for receiving your unemployment benefits). But don't get your hopes up, because for the immediate future I doubt there will be much out there.

Regarding how to deal with the gap in your resume, it seems totally reasonable to me that an easy explanation would be the birth of your 4 month old. It's not uncommon in my experience for a woman to take upwards of 1 year off after the birth of a child. And if your new job search is focused on a different type of position (e.g. closer to home, more stable hours) it also is a perfect time to make a career move for family reasons.

Your local town might even have some resources, I know some towns have started running information sessions at the library etc. What town are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 AM

222 posts, read 778,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Did you work at an I-Bank if I may ask?
Yes, IB bank and actually I worked in investment banking division

Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I would go for unemployment and here is the beauty of things, even though the job market may suck, you have 10 months of unemployment, so thats a good buffer. Now I would definately start right now looking for a job, but here the best part since you have 10 months of unemployment I would the first three months try anything and everything that may interest you!! You never know, you may just find a new career, also look in your field but why not take this as a new start approach. I mean if you ever said boy I would love to get into lets say sales for example try answering things off the beaten path one that you may not have experience in and take a shot at having some fun. Look at interviews as interviewing them too!! Good luck, jobs are like buses you get off one and another will come along soon!!
Thank you very much for support!!!
The problem is two kids, all expenses, house with mortgage obviously and unclear situation at my husband's work. Jobs...doubt anybody is hiring right now...I like what I did..really liked finance..was not in that area only because of $$$ etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Where's the bus stop?

Employers are funny/stupid in that when they see a gap of dates on a resume and the applicant explains that they were looking for a job - those employers frown on that even though THEY are the cause of that problem in the first place.
Well, I think we do not need to worry about the gap in the resume at this point. Look it is not personal in most cases, it is the economic situation... A lot of peoplw were let go and will let go in next X month ..hopefully not year.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Sorry to hear about your layoff.

It's ultimately up to you whether you want to start looking right away or not. Personally, if I were you I would file for unemployment benefits, and then continue looking for work (which is a requirement for receiving your unemployment benefits). But don't get your hopes up, because for the immediate future I doubt there will be much out there.

Regarding how to deal with the gap in your resume, it seems totally reasonable to me that an easy explanation would be the birth of your 4 month old. It's not uncommon in my experience for a woman to take upwards of 1 year off after the birth of a child. And if your new job search is focused on a different type of position (e.g. closer to home, more stable hours) it also is a perfect time to make a career move for family reasons.

Your local town might even have some resources, I know some towns have started running information sessions at the library etc. What town are you in?
Well I do not think Iwill need to explain the gap in my resume - that's the last thing I worry about. I will put "laid off" in my resume. Smart employer understands everything. I was good in what I was doing and was laid off because the situation..A lot of people like me are out there right now..

Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,932,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Where's the bus stop?

Employers are funny/stupid in that when they see a gap of dates on a resume and the applicant explains that they were looking for a job - those employers frown on that even though THEY are the cause of that problem in the first place.
This is changing though - employers are not blind to what is happening in the country right now. Unemployment is sky high and there is more letting go than taking on right now.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,894,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Well I do not think Iwill need to explain the gap in my resume - that's the last thing I worry about. I will put "laid off" in my resume. Smart employer understands everything. I was good in what I was doing and was laid off because the situation..A lot of people like me are out there right now..
I help hire at my organization. We always look at 'gaps' and even if someone was laid off, we want to hear what they've been doing: consulting (yes, we DO check the people for whom they consulted); part time work...anything. But seeing 'laid off' is not, at least for us, a good reason to have an excessive gap in a resume.

And about using your new baby (congratulations) as your reason for not working - we usually check with the last employer re: date of separation. Most places don't give more than six weeks or so for maternity leave. So something would sound fishy there....

Old 12-07-2008, 10:50 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,932,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Exactly.

I'm in HR and trust me, the rules on this are changing DAILY. The mindset - traditionally - has been you don't want a "gap" on the resume. However, right now, that is NOT the case. Unless the hiring company are so detatched that they have no clue as to what is happening in our country right now, the "gap" is becoming more common and accepted.

Look all you want "right away" but, frankly, with holidays and year and you are unlikely to find anything going on before the beginning of 2009. Trust me, most HR departments are lucky if they are at full staff before the end of the year and those that are will be more focused on year end issues and open enrollments.

Finance, as I'm sure you know, is a TOUGH field right now. So many layoffs, so much competition for jobs... it's not the prettiest scenario.

I don't know of any companies hiring, if I do hear of any I'll certainly post it here. I wish you the best, I know how difficult such uncertainty is.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Exactly.

I'm in HR and trust me, the rules on this are changing DAILY. The mindset - traditionally - has been you don't want a "gap" on the resume. However, right now, that is NOT the case. Unless the hiring company are so detatched that they have no clue as to what is happening in our country right now, the "gap" is becoming more common and accepted.

Look all you want "right away" but, frankly, with holidays and year and you are unlikely to find anything going on before the beginning of 2009. Trust me, most HR departments are lucky if they are at full staff before the end of the year and those that are will be more focused on year end issues and open enrollments.

Finance, as I'm sure you know, is a TOUGH field right now. So many layoffs, so much competition for jobs... it's not the prettiest scenario.

I don't know of any companies hiring, if I do hear of any I'll certainly post it here. I wish you the best, I know how difficult such uncertainty is.
At least someone agreed with me
I will def start looking around starting January..reconsidering NY to NJ..close to the house and kids. Plus, will accept lower paying job for sure..Not big deal at this point.
For me, it is also very hard just to sit at home..I was working mom all the time since my kids were born. This will be another issue for me - what to do.
Well a lot to reconsider...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,570,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Exactly.

I once had Full HR Management duties in a small company and I always treated Humans/People like Human Beings - not saying you don't.

In the past I've found that A LOT of HR departments Don't treat People as Human Beings (= Heartless and Cold) but as Guilty till Proven Innocent.

I'm sure they'll be some HR Departments even in this economy debacle that'll want to play their so called card to the hilt meaning that knowing that there's a multitude of people out there looking for work, even though they really know what's going on out there will put resume requirements to meet like the gaps in employment thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: