Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,582 times

Advertisements

is this a good neighborhood? what are the people like who live in the apartments on e ridgewood ave? is taking the bus to nyc unpredictable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
The buses will probably run into loads of traffic

I do believe there is a NJ Transit train in NJ though

Why Ridgewood, I hear it is full of snobs?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
the bus is surprisingly reliable. traffic everyday

I really don't know what the people are like in those apartments. How much do those rent for?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,582 times
haha about the traffic. If the bus says it will take an hour at 8 am should I plan on 90 minutes? I think the apartments in the 1500 range but i'm not exactly sure. I just looked on craigs list to get an idea

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
i was making a joke, BUT, I think there is traffic everyday, but they are reliable. The buses know there is traffic and account for it. My brother in law in ridgewood takes the bus into midtown everyday over the train

Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

Why Ridgewood, I hear it is full of snobs?

Where in the world are all these bergen county snobs hiding? I've encountered some of it, but come on, it's not like people will point and laugh if you drive by in a toyota or something.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,327 times
Default I live near E. Ridgewood Ave in Ridgewood

The neighborhood is fantastic. It's a little upscale, though. Be prepared for high prices. Worth every penny though. Quiet, safe, genteel and civilized. My neighbors and I look out for each other's homes when away, and at times have left houses unlocked while out. No problems to report. It's like Mayberry RFD.

Buses to NY are easy. Take the 163T from E. Ridgewood Ave or the terminal downtown and it will drop you off on 42nd Street. The trip takes exactly 1 hour. $5.25 OW, $10.25 RT, runs 24/7. You can also take the Path (the train. Goes from Ridgewood terminal through Secaucus to Penn Station downtown NYC near 34th). As for snobs, I've only met very kind, friendly people here.

Hope this helps your decision.

Last edited by blahblahblonde; 02-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add how long the bus trip is

Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
It dosn't matter what area of Ridgewood you're in... It's Ridgewood.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Where in the world are all these bergen county snobs hiding? I've encountered some of it, but come on, it's not like people will point and laugh if you drive by in a toyota or something.
I dont know

I used to take swimming lessons many years ago in Ridgewood YMCA, and I always thought it was a nice town

But people on this forum keep saying it is full of snobs

Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I dont know

I used to take swimming lessons many years ago in Ridgewood YMCA, and I always thought it was a nice town

But people on this forum keep saying it is full of snobs
I agree. My husband was born and raised in Ridgewood and he is not a snob. His family was your average middle class family, his dad worked two jobs for over 20 years to be able to afford to live there because it was a great place to raise a family with good schools. My husband still has many family members that live in Ridgewood and they are not snobs either. Some of his cousins that live there are are quite wealthy but are not snobs. Having money does not always equate with being a snob.

When he was in school-especially high school-he tells me that yes there were some snobby kids and parents but it was not the majority. You will find snobs in most places not just in those with ther reputation like Ridgewood. I grew up in Ocean county in a town that had neither the wealth nor the reputation that Ridgewood has and there were snobs in my town as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey