Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Guess we need to fix this like the Abbott Districts.

Lets throw some money into the problem as that will surely fix it...NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Thumbs up Yes Calico :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I have never understood this either. I can understand the house needing to be painted and other repairs going south if money is a issue. But soap and brooms don't cost much. We weren't exactly rolling in the dough when I was growing up. Mom didn't work, Dad worked 3 jobs to make ends meet. Our clothes weren't always new but they were always clean.
Couldn't agree with you more. Points 4 u.
I grew up the same way. Lots of kids and not enough money. Our hand me down clothes, were called hand me down & down & down. Iron on denim knee patches, sew the holes in the socks, one new pair of shoes per year in September. Reminds me of that Stevie Wonder song, a line in it goes, "Her clothes were old but never ever dirty".

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Points 4 u.
I grew up the same way. Lots of kids and not enough money. Our hand me down clothes, were called hand me down & down & down. Iron on denim knee patches, sew the holes in the socks, one new pair of shoes per year in September. Reminds me of that Stevie Wonder song, a line in it goes, "Her clothes were old but never ever dirty".
Reps to you. Funny you should say that, I thought of that song after I posted....Just Enough For the City...great song.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Reps to you. Funny you should say that, I thought of that song after I posted....Just Enough For the City...great song.
Growing up , I loved this song.

I have some free time now (sleep little kiddies sleeeeep) & I needed a mental break so I looked up the lyrics. Besides it would bother me all night long if I didn't just look it up right away & post the answer. Oh crap, I hope its ok to post this partial lyric....???

Living for the City.

A boy is born in hard time Mississippi
Surrounded by four walls that ain't so pretty
His parents give him love and affection
To keep him strong moving in the right direction
Living just enough, just enough for the city...ee ha!

His father works some days for fourteen hours
And you can bet he barely makes a dollar
His mother goes to scrub the floor for many
And you'd best believe she hardly gets a penny
Living just enough, just enough for the city...yeah

His sister's black but she is sho 'nuff pretty
Her skirt is short but Lord her legs are sturdy
To walk to school she's got to get up early
Her clothes are old but never are they dirty
Living just enough, just enough for the city...um hum

Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
people often look like they feel.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
Why on earth are so many poverty stricken areas in NJ filthy? I never understood this? I grew up ridiculously poor in Arizona (7 of 9 kids, in a trailer, mom brain damaged since I was 10 and Dad never making more than $35K a year) and we were never messy, dirty, filthy... what's up with that? Do you have to have money to get off your lazy butt and clean the garbage out of your yard?
I grew up in a poor neighborhood. Some people cared for their properties, some didn't. You can't pin this one on NJ. I guess that I should have kept a photojournal of all the trashy slums that I've been through, FL, GA, TX, NC, DE, NY and more. I really get around, don't I?

I still can't believe the stuff that I saw in that neighborhood before we moved when I was 12.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
absolutely cannot say jersey is the only place like this in the poor sections. I now live in Philly and boy take a look at the poor sections over here if you think jersey is dirty. Its a state of mind.. I think its actually the other way around,. The people who have the dirty places are just plain lazy thus cannot find or even care if they have a job. I don't think its the poor people who are dirty. Its the lazy (dirty) people who don't want to find work and become poor

Old 12-10-2008, 05:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Anecdotal story. Forget original source.

Liberal dogooder group decides to have a clean up the ghetto day. Of course they gave it some kind of nicer name but that is what it was.

Dogooders come in and work alongside locals and clean up the neighborhood followed by a free lunch for all.

Awww. Aint that sweet.

Almost no locals showed up for the work part. Lots showed up for the free lunch.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
imagine that.. Maybe they were in their houses watching jerry springer and eating potato chips. why work.. if you don't have to..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Liberal dogooder group decides to have a clean up the ghetto day. Of course they gave it some kind of nicer name but that is what it was.

Dogooders come in and work alongside locals and clean up the neighborhood followed by a free lunch for all.

Awww. Aint that sweet.

Almost no locals showed up for the work part. Lots showed up for the free lunch.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Awww. Aint that sweet.

Typical........who says that there is not such thing as a free lunch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey