Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Hello, let me introduce you to Government.
you sound more and more like kate in this post, however thats the new mommy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
i agree a lot of places they have to pay for garbage pick up.... we in suburbia are used to garbage being picked up for "free."

Old 12-11-2008, 01:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times
well i know for one thing my mom and dad worked 2 jobs when i was a kid, our yard was not the nicest.but step inside and it was spotless. and we lived in a nice area of jersey. i just thinks its people in general. some people make it so that the outside looks nice and the inside they are pigs.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
well i know for one thing my mom and dad worked 2 jobs when i was a kid, our yard was not the nicest.but step inside and it was spotless. and we lived in a nice area of jersey. i just thinks its people in general. some people make it so that the outside looks nice and the inside they are pigs.

That is so true - I remember visiting a colleague of mine who lived in a beautiful building with a doorman in NYC on Central Park West (very expensive area) and I could not believe how cluttered and untidy her apartment was.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
First - Well, I can assure you our place was clean and tidy. My father would not settle for less. As part of our punishment for being bad was waking up at the crack of dawn and doing yard work.

Second - not sure you need municipal services to bag up your trash, pull out weeds and dead plants, etc...

Third - So does that mean that these people are not only lazy but they are disrespectful of other people's property?

Another problem is the high amount of slumlords who also don't care about the properties they own and rent them to anybody! I think this contributes ALOT to the way certain areas look in the inner-city.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Lightbulb Two - three sides to a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
[/b]

Another problem is the high amount of slumlords who also don't care about the properties they own and rent them to anybody! I think this contributes ALOT to the way certain areas look in the inner-city.
IMO: there are three sides to every story. His, her's and somewhere inbetween lies the truth. The Slum Lord does exist so does the Slum Tenant. Sometimes, there is a prop. owner that fumigates the entire house for bugs, paints, spackles, refloors, unclogs, patches, replaces windows, etc. Only to come back a few days/weeks later to see it all destroyed. The real kick in the a$$ is to see them spray paint gang signs on the bedroom walls or front of the house. Very ignorant people. Just my insightful experiences. Maybe just maybe those slum lords were once caring responsible prop. owners - at one time before they too were exhaused & broke & pi$$ed off.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I have never understood this either. I can understand the house needing to be painted and other repairs going south if money is a issue. But soap and brooms don't cost much. We weren't exactly rolling in the dough when I was growing up. Mom didn't work, Dad worked 3 jobs to make ends meet. Our clothes weren't always new but they were always clean.
My biggest peeve is people that don't shower regularly.
Laundry soap is pricey these days but still.
Shampoo is cheap, no reason people can't wash their hair.

Quote:
Why on earth are so many poverty stricken areas in NJ filthy? I never understood this? I grew up ridiculously poor in Arizona (7 of 9 kids, in a trailer, mom brain damaged since I was 10 and Dad never making more than $35K a year) and we were never messy, dirty, filthy... what's up with that? Do you have to have money to get off your lazy butt and clean the garbage out of your yard?
People don't take pride in their homes. To most it's a place to sleep and possibly make money when they sell.

Quote:
Second - not sure you need municipal services to bag up your trash, pull out weeds and dead plants, etc...
Again, pride. They simply don't care.
I live in a new community, someone left their home a few months ago, there was a phone book sitting at the curb. Do you think the neighbor directly across the street could pick it up and put it in his trash? No. I ended up doing it. I also walk the street around my house picking up trash, cigarette butts and unclog the sewer in front of my house. None of the other neighbors do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
First of all - cleanliness from a child's perspective is different from cleanliness from an adult's perspective. So to say that your home was always clean when you were a child may not be what some of your adult neighbors thought
You're right.
My kid thinks I'm anal and that the house is clean when I can see it's not.
They don't see spots on carpet, messes on desks

Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM

220 posts, read 623,768 times
Ya know, there are just alot of people out there w/the mentality "if I don't own it, why should I care?". Many lower income areas have alot of rental properties & as a former poster wrote, the landlords after awhile feel that they are shelling out more $$ then they make to keep it up, & wind up giving up. I've been in homes in some "bad" sections of Paterson & the ones that are owner-occupied are the nicest on the block (true pride of ownership). It's even true with alot of foreclosures...the houses are many times "trashed" when banks have to step in...the owner feels like "it's not mine anymore, it's the banks" & they leave it in terrible condition. "Yes", sometimes it's on purpose because they're mad they lost their home & they want "pay back" BUT there is a theory that if your financial house is in disarray, it stands to reason your physical house will probably be too.
IMHO-To the OP, there is a difference b/w people who are proud & otherwise have their act together and just might not make a whole lot of money & people who don't have alot of self respect no matter HOW much money they have....

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
IMO: there are three sides to every story. His, her's and somewhere inbetween lies the truth. The Slum Lord does exist so does the Slum Tenant. Sometimes, there is a prop. owner that fumigates the entire house for bugs, paints, spackles, refloors, unclogs, patches, replaces windows, etc. Only to come back a few days/weeks later to see it all destroyed. The real kick in the a$$ is to see them spray paint gang signs on the bedroom walls or front of the house. Very ignorant people. Just my insightful experiences. Maybe just maybe those slum lords were once caring responsible prop. owners - at one time before they too were exhaused & broke & pi$$ed off.

Landlords like these, unfortunately, are more the exception than the rule. And if they do care about their properties, why do they rent to people who "paint gang signs on the bedroom walls"? There are still lots of hard-working/decent people who live in the inner-city only because they can't afford to live anywhere else. These are the tenants they should rent to.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Wink You can never tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Landlords like these, unfortunately, are more the exception than the rule. And if they do care about their properties, why do they rent to people who "paint gang signs on the bedroom walls"? There are still lots of hard-working/decent people who live in the inner-city only because they can't afford to live anywhere else. These are the tenants they should rent to.
To answer your question; How the heck can you tell if the Father, Daughter or cousin is a gang member? Other than the tell-tale tat, red bandana or will they introduce themselves "Hola Gringo me'amo ' Juan I am a good standing member of La Mugre' " We don't rent to just anyone. Sometimes, it's the tenant, the boyfriend or the "oh hees my cousin veesiting from Mehico" j/k And as for those hard- working decent people, where are they? I can't seem to find any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey