Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times

Advertisements

We had a great tradition of cutting down our own tree. The kids loved it. Two years ago we moved to Georgia and went to a tree farm to cut down our tree. When we arrived we were informed that the good trees (douglas fir etc.) don't grow well in GA so all they had were these pretty sad looking Leland cypress trees. The kids were pretty adamant about cutting down a tree so we cut it down and put it up in our family room. On Christmas eve last year apparently a few cocoons of praying mantises that were hidden in the tree hatched from the warmth in our house. Imagine our surprise when after Mass on the 24th we came home and our house was overrun with THOUSANDS of praying mantises. It was so unbelieveably disgusting but we could not take it down until "Santa came". A few more cocoons hatched over night to my horror. We vacuumed up as many bugs as we could (crawling up the walls, on the ceiling, on the mantle...everywhere). The tree was on the curb at noon and I hit the Expo after Christmas artificial tree sale on the 26th.

Other than that now old tradition we get the chocolate advent calendars for the kids, new pajamas for all on Christmas Eve. One night of driving around and looking at lights, and singing in the choir on Christmas Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Does arguing count as a tradition?

About the only tradition my family has is my parents arguing with each other, me arguing with my parents, my brother arguing with my parents.

Or my favorite one...my parents arguing with any other poor soul, related or unrelated, who happens to be present.

At this point, I just have another drink. Cheers.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM

234 posts, read 537,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
That is funny. When we were kids we would get new PJ's on Christmas eve too. I always wanted the ones with feet.
-Pajama City

Adult Footie PJs

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Does arguing count as a tradition?

About the only tradition my family has is my parents arguing with each other, me arguing with my parents, my brother arguing with my parents.

Or my favorite one...my parents arguing with any other poor soul, related or unrelated, who happens to be present.

At this point, I just have another drink. Cheers.

Of course arguing counts- That plus the drinking you mentioned are probably the two traditions that will last forever.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
-Pajama City

Adult Footie PJs
Oh that is funny! I kind of like the purple ones.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 AM

234 posts, read 537,199 times
My parents and siblings all live 2500 miles away... but since moving to NJ, my husband and I do Christmas on our own. We do Chanukah at my cousins. (My mom's Jewish, Dad's Christian)

Chanukah - we have a party at my cousins. Brisket, lots of wine, discussions of politics and the lighting of the Moose Menorah

Christmas - me and hubby open one gift Christmas evening. On Christmas day, I make a fancy breakfast complete with mimosas. We open presents in our jammies and then Hubby cooks a fantastic English Christmas dinner (pheasant, yorkshire pudding, etc).

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
We (me, my husband, and a few others of my grandmother's grandchildren) make homemade pierogies with g-ma the weekend before Christmas Eve and they are eaten on Christmas Eve with the family (dad's family). We used to go to my grandfather's brother's house after Christmas Eve dinner for a party with the extended family, but once my grandfather died everybody decided that it was too much to do in one night so now we go to my great-uncle's on the Saturday before Christmas for our big get-together (food and a grabbag).

I seem to be starting a tradition that my mother comes to my house (she lives in PA) while we are with my father's family on Christmas Eve, and sleeps over to have Christmas morning with us. Last year was the first year we did this and it was nice, so we're doing it again this year. I make a big breakfast, she gets to see her granddaughters for Christmas...nicey nice.

I want to start the new pj's on Christmas Eve with my girls. I like that.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Does stealing the skin off of the turkey while mom's back was turned count as a tradition? With 8 kids, we had a bald turkey on the table every year..lol : )

My tradition is watching "It happened One Christmas". It's a feminist's version of "It's a Wonderful Life" starring Marlo Thomas and Cloris Leachman (sp).

Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Does stealing the skin off of the turkey while mom's back was turned count as a tradition? With 8 kids, we had a bald turkey on the table every year..lol : )

My tradition is watching "It happened One Christmas". It's a feminist's version of "It's a Wonderful Life" starring Marlo Thomas and Cloris Leachman (sp).
Counts in my family, but at Thanksgiving not Christmas.

I love that movie!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Who could forget the Yule Log on channel 11? My dad always had it on when we opened gifts. Here is a schedule of when it will be on, for those interested:

‘Yule Log’ Returns to iN Demand Networks, WPIX - TVWeek - News
I remember about 20 years ago, the Yule Log went against the NY Rangers, and the Yule Log had higher ratings. It's a fact. More people tuned in to watch the Yule Log than the Rangers. This was before they were on cable TV exclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey