Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times

Advertisements

Edison NJ has alot of nice areas. Even New Brunswick is not too far from Newark. You would get more for your dollar in Pennsylvania though. It is further but the interstates are at your doorstep. If you tried the Hawley area or the Milford area you would be about 2 hours from Newark. It's a hike but worth it.
The Marlboro area of NJ isn't that far from Newark either. It's pricey though.
Have you thought about Staten Island, NY? It's close to Newark too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelunie View Post
I love in East Rutherford, and am less than 20 minutes to Newark,the towns around here would fit in with your budget and are nice, Rutherford is very well to do area, but you can find a 2 bedroom for about 1500 a month, and wallington, caralstadt, woodridge, you can probably find more for your money. I would definitly stay away from Rahway, big prison for sex offenders and Edison, those two are like cities with a lot of crime. Hope this helps. Good Luck
Please do a little research before saying something you know nothing about....
The prison you speak of is not only for sex offenders but also for murderers and it is probably one of the toughest prisons in the country BUT it is not in Rahway!!! Also if you did a little research on the crime you talk about you would know that Rahway was rated below the State avgerage.................

Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM

97 posts, read 356,903 times
Smile I don't blame you! ;-) Here are my suggestions

Do you have any kids? if so school system should be an issue, I'll assume not at this time and say...

Towns nearby within driving distance and with a train close by, these towns are also pretty safe; they all have their bad spots.

Linden - has train and is only about 15 minute drive, has several food shops like a large shoprite and pathmark and is loaded with shopping malls, it will be the next Woodbridge once they finish demolishing the old General Motors plant and begin building more malls and housing in its place.

Rahway - (Next to linden south of them)Not as up and coming as everyone would have you believe but it is a small town which has began renovating its downtown area in an attempt to clean up its image and its starting to work. The downtown used to be filled with bars and losers. They have since torn down many of the rat holes that housed them and began building higher end condos and renovating some of the old run down buildings. They are trying to tout it as an arts district, that has still to be seen other than the old theater they have there but who knows in 10 or 20 years ;-) Either way, the town is priced well for cost of living and they are "trying".

Union - Used to be highly desirable but school system no longer what it used to be and the town is following in the same foot steps. Don't get me wrong it is still a nice town, at least some areas but in my opinion, its not as nice as it used to be.

Cranford - The opposite of Union, actually this town is getting better and better, decent schools, renovation of the downtown district is looking trendy and they also benefit from a Midtown line but it is the same as westfield uses

Summit - This is a midtown direct line, they have a blue ribbon school district and the town consist of a variety of homes from new to historic, they have an excellent hospital in town called Overlook and in some areas of town has spectacular views being Summit, it is on a mountain. Summit is a popular commuter town for NY with its many direct trains to Penn Station. It now has numerous restaurants, cafes and services in the center yet retains a peaceful village feel

Millburn/Short Hills - The beauty of the area, highly rated public high school, and prestigious shopping make this town one of the most distinctive suburbs in New Jersey. Short Hills is home to the upscale ‘Mall at Short Hills’ housing Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue stores. Milburn boasts a thriving downtown with distinctive shops and restaurants, as well as the renowned Paper Mill Theatre, which has been a leading professional theatre since the 1930’s. In Millburn/Short Hills you have both small town charm with big city sophistication. It may be possible to find rentals here in your price range or slightly higher

Maplewood - Listed as ‘one of the best places to live’ by Money Magazine, Maplewood is only 20 miles from midtown Manhattan but has a charming, small town community feeling while also being sophisticated in its lifestyle. Diverse in its population, it’s a great place to live if you can’t afford the city. The downtown is pedestrian-friendly with several good restaurants and shops. There is a new visual arts center in town as well as several arts centers hosting on-going theatre and cultural programs. The neighborhoods are tranquil and tree lined, with a collection of Tudors, Victorians, and Colonials and over 30 active housing committees. There are lots of parks and the town abuts a 2000 acre nature preserve with lots of walking trails. There are several elementary schools, middle schools, and a high school with a reputation for academic excellence. A fantastic place to raise a family without the high costs of living in the City.

South Orange - South Orange is Maplewood’s ‘sister city’, and also a 29 minute train ride from downtown Manhattan. South Orange is very similar to Maplewood and includes lots of cultural activities through out the year, for example, the Arts in the Park free outdoor concert series in the summer.

Colonia & Avenel - (South of Rahway) - Quiet towns with not a whole lot going on but are close to trains in both Rahway and Iselin which has Metro-Park train station, a busy station for NYC travelers

Woodbridge - (Plenty of shopping) This is for sure! This is a very large municipality, actually the 5th largest in the state consisting of other towns within its district which are considered part of Woodbridge (Avenel, Colonia, Fords, Hopelawn, Iselin, Keasbey, Menlo Park Terrace, Port Reading, Sewaren & Woodbridge Proper) they meaning Woodbridge proper has a train stops but check the hours they run vs. the hours you need to travel, that can be an issue with many NYC / Newark travelers. Once again, this town has many MANY rentals, townhouses and condos available, abundant shopping and eateries, has its good and bad areas too.

Metuchen - (Not so many rentals) More of an upscale town that is resisting change! They want to keep everything historical so you won’t see many town homes or condos here, nor will you see many new homes although they are being built. It is a little expensive however you may be able to find a rental here in your price range if you look hard enough. The trains here are run pretty regular but you need to be on "The List" if you want to park at the train station. Residence of Metuchen are given card blanche` for parking.

Edison - (Another large town) Has plenty of shopping as well with its Menlo Park Mall among many smaller strip malls, Edison has a few train stations, check your travel times again, parking is ok for them. They have plenty of rentals, condos and town homes as well.

Edison is about as far south as I'd go to keep travel times down for you however other towns you may consider further south are Highland Park, New Brunswick, North Brunswick.

More towns North of Newark
Towns north of Newark are a more urban living style, some not so good or at least I wouldn't want to live in some of them. My worst list... I really can't say being a realtor and all, can get in trouble for that, go figure!
So I'll just tell you where I would not want to live: East Orange for sure, heck I should say the Oranges in general although there are some very nice areas in West Orange and South Orange. Newark, you already made your decision about that one, Irvington: I once sold a home there but it was tough, someone kept stealing the plumbing, yes stealing pipes! Hillside, Bloomfield and Belleville have some nice places but you have to drive the neighborhoods to see which areas are best suited for you, as far as trains I'm not as familiar with their locations in those areas although I am very familiar with the neighborhoods up North Jersey up to Livingston and then out west jersey.

Montclair, Upper Montclair, Glen Ridge, Lyndhurst, Nutley, Brookdale, are not bad but once again not sure how the trains run without looking at the map for the train routes. NOTE: Northern towns tend to be more expensive and you get a lot less for your money! They also tend to be more congested traffic wise.

Chatham, Morristown, Madison & Summit all have access to Midtown Direct train lines, are pretty good town and are upper scale but you may be able to break in by renting at your price level, would have to check what is available to be sure.

East of Newark the good areas are just plain very expensive.

Train Schedule and MidTown Direct Train Lines info
Always go to the source for the best info NJ Transit Website
NJ Transit Rail/Line System Map - Image or PDF
NJ Transit Printed Time Tables
Travel Time Map by NY Times
Train Schedules Station to Station

NJ Association of Railroad Passengers (NJ-ARP) interesting Blog Article (http://www.nj-arp.org/blog/2007/03/nj-transit-travel-times/ - broken link)
NJ-ARP (What did it take for this group to form?) NJ-ARP

SCHOOL INFORMATION
School Report Card Data NJDOE Professional Development and Technical Assistance
NJ.com: School report card NJ.com: Everything Jersey
NJDOE Data NJDOE Data

I've got to go shovel some snow now, so gotta go! Any questions, feel free to ask, I'm glad to help. No plug for my real estate agency here, all my other posts were removed just for adding my company name, geeze!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 AM

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
TOP HIGH SCHOOL RANKINGS in NJ by NJMONTHLY.com
Search SCHOOL INFO BY CITY
Search TOWN/CITY Information by City-Data

SCHOOL REPORT CARD DATA
NJ Schools State Data
2007 School Report Cards, 2008 Not out yet
Alphabetical Ordered List of High School Report Card Results
NJ SCHOOL REPORT CARD Data Breakdown by The Star-Ledger
School Test Score Rankings for those who care about more than if every kid in class passed the minimum requirements!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,045 times
Default I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's plenty of places in Woodbridge and Edison that are within your budget, including many that are within walking distance of the train to Newark (if that's something you would use). I can't comment on the laundry in the unit, but most of the newer units have it.

Bob
Bob can't but i can there are units in the area that are you can rent in your price range.
They have two bedrooms and washer and dry and close to one of three train stations. Also a 20min car ride to newark up rt1 if you have a car.

Also there is a train station in Avenel, Iselin ,Woodbridge there is parking there at metro park for 160 monthly 4 months waiting list. Edison has one trian staion.
There are condo for rent in the area near Woodbridge center with bus service as well to train station.

Last edited by judithexit; 03-30-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM

Cool City Rankings, Midtown Direct Train Lines and School Report info

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorKaminski View Post
Do you have any kids? if so school system should be an issue, I'll assume not at this time and say...

Towns nearby within driving distance and with a train close by, these towns are also pretty safe; they all have their bad spots.

Linden - has train and is only about 15 minute drive, has several food shops like a large shoprite and pathmark and is loaded with shopping malls, it will be the next Woodbridge once they finish demolishing the old General Motors plant and begin building more malls and housing in its place.

Rahway - (Next to linden south of them)Not as up and coming as everyone would have you believe but it is a small town which has began renovating its downtown area in an attempt to clean up its image and its starting to work. The downtown used to be filled with bars and losers. They have since torn down many of the rat holes that housed them and began building higher end condos and renovating some of the old run down buildings. They are trying to tout it as an arts district, that has still to be seen other than the old theater they have there but who knows in 10 or 20 years ;-) Either way, the town is priced well for cost of living and they are "trying".

Union - Used to be highly desirable but school system no longer what it used to be and the town is following in the same foot steps. Don't get me wrong it is still a nice town, at least some areas but in my opinion, its not as nice as it used to be.

Cranford - The opposite of Union, actually this town is getting better and better, decent schools, renovation of the downtown district is looking trendy and they also benefit from a Midtown line but it is the same as westfield uses

Summit - This is a midtown direct line, they have a blue ribbon school district and the town consist of a variety of homes from new to historic, they have an excellent hospital in town called Overlook and in some areas of town has spectacular views being Summit, it is on a mountain. Summit is a popular commuter town for NY with its many direct trains to Penn Station. It now has numerous restaurants, cafes and services in the center yet retains a peaceful village feel

Millburn/Short Hills - The beauty of the area, highly rated public high school, and prestigious shopping make this town one of the most distinctive suburbs in New Jersey. Short Hills is home to the upscale ‘Mall at Short Hills’ housing Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue stores. Milburn boasts a thriving downtown with distinctive shops and restaurants, as well as the renowned Paper Mill Theatre, which has been a leading professional theatre since the 1930’s. In Millburn/Short Hills you have both small town charm with big city sophistication. It may be possible to find rentals here in your price range or slightly higher

Maplewood - Listed as ‘one of the best places to live’ by Money Magazine, Maplewood is only 20 miles from midtown Manhattan but has a charming, small town community feeling while also being sophisticated in its lifestyle. Diverse in its population, it’s a great place to live if you can’t afford the city. The downtown is pedestrian-friendly with several good restaurants and shops. There is a new visual arts center in town as well as several arts centers hosting on-going theatre and cultural programs. The neighborhoods are tranquil and tree lined, with a collection of Tudors, Victorians, and Colonials and over 30 active housing committees. There are lots of parks and the town abuts a 2000 acre nature preserve with lots of walking trails. There are several elementary schools, middle schools, and a high school with a reputation for academic excellence. A fantastic place to raise a family without the high costs of living in the City.

South Orange - South Orange is Maplewood’s ‘sister city’, and also a 29 minute train ride from downtown Manhattan. South Orange is very similar to Maplewood and includes lots of cultural activities through out the year, for example, the Arts in the Park free outdoor concert series in the summer.

Colonia & Avenel - (South of Rahway) - Quiet towns with not a whole lot going on but are close to trains in both Rahway and Iselin which has Metro-Park train station, a busy station for NYC travelers

Woodbridge - (Plenty of shopping) This is for sure! This is a very large municipality, actually the 5th largest in the state consisting of other towns within its district which are considered part of Woodbridge (Avenel, Colonia, Fords, Hopelawn, Iselin, Keasbey, Menlo Park Terrace, Port Reading, Sewaren & Woodbridge Proper) they meaning Woodbridge proper has a train stops but check the hours they run vs. the hours you need to travel, that can be an issue with many NYC / Newark travelers. Once again, this town has many MANY rentals, townhouses and condos available, abundant shopping and eateries, has its good and bad areas too.

Metuchen - (Not so many rentals) More of an upscale town that is resisting change! They want to keep everything historical so you won’t see many town homes or condos here, nor will you see many new homes although they are being built. It is a little expensive however you may be able to find a rental here in your price range if you look hard enough. The trains here are run pretty regular but you need to be on "The List" if you want to park at the train station. Residence of Metuchen are given card blanche` for parking.

Edison - (Another large town) Has plenty of shopping as well with its Menlo Park Mall among many smaller strip malls, Edison has a few train stations, check your travel times again, parking is ok for them. They have plenty of rentals, condos and town homes as well.

Edison is about as far south as I'd go to keep travel times down for you however other towns you may consider further south are Highland Park, New Brunswick, North Brunswick.

More towns North of Newark
Towns north of Newark are a more urban living style, some not so good or at least I wouldn't want to live in some of them. My worst list... I really can't say being a realtor and all, can get in trouble for that, go figure!
So I'll just tell you where I would not want to live: East Orange for sure, heck I should say the Oranges in general although there are some very nice areas in West Orange and South Orange. Newark, you already made your decision about that one, Irvington: I once sold a home there but it was tough, someone kept stealing the plumbing, yes stealing pipes! Hillside, Bloomfield and Belleville have some nice places but you have to drive the neighborhoods to see which areas are best suited for you, as far as trains I'm not as familiar with their locations in those areas although I am very familiar with the neighborhoods up North Jersey up to Livingston and then out west jersey.

Montclair, Upper Montclair, Glen Ridge, Lyndhurst, Nutley, Brookdale, are not bad but once again not sure how the trains run without looking at the map for the train routes. NOTE: Northern towns tend to be more expensive and you get a lot less for your money! They also tend to be more congested traffic wise.

Chatham, Morristown, Madison & Summit all have access to Midtown Direct train lines, are pretty good town and are upper scale but you may be able to break in by renting at your price level, would have to check what is available to be sure.

East of Newark the good areas are just plain very expensive.

Train Schedule and MidTown Direct Train Lines info
Always go to the source for the best info NJ Transit Website
NJ Transit Rail/Line System Map - Image or PDF
NJ Transit Printed Time Tables
Travel Time Map by NY Times
Train Schedules Station to Station

NJ Association of Railroad Passengers (NJ-ARP) interesting Blog Article (http://www.nj-arp.org/blog/2007/03/nj-transit-travel-times/ - broken link)
NJ-ARP (What did it take for this group to form?) NJ-ARP

SCHOOL INFORMATION
School Report Card Data NJDOE Professional Development and Technical Assistance
NJ.com: School report card NJ.com: Everything Jersey
NJDOE Data NJDOE Data

I've got to go shovel some snow now, so gotta go! Any questions, feel free to ask, I'm glad to help. No plug for my real estate agency here, all my other posts were removed just for adding my company name, geeze!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorKaminski View Post
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
TOP HIGH SCHOOL RANKINGS in NJ by NJMONTHLY.com
Search SCHOOL INFO BY CITY
Search TOWN/CITY Information by City-Data

SCHOOL REPORT CARD DATA
NJ Schools State Data
2007 School Report Cards, 2008 Not out yet
Alphabetical Ordered List of High School Report Card Results
NJ SCHOOL REPORT CARD Data Breakdown by The Star-Ledger
School Test Score Rankings for those who care about more than if every kid in class passed the minimum requirements!
Forgot this one: Best Places to Live in New Jersey (broken link)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelunie View Post
I love in East Rutherford, and am less than 20 minutes to Newark,the towns around here would fit in with your budget and are nice, Rutherford is very well to do area, but you can find a 2 bedroom for about 1500 a month, and wallington, caralstadt, woodridge, you can probably find more for your money. I would definitly stay away from Rahway, big prison for sex offenders and Edison, those two are like cities with a lot of crime. Hope this helps. Good Luck
There is no prison in Rahway; East Jersey State Prison is located in Woodbridge, NJ in Middlesex County.

East Rutherford has the same violent crime rate as Edison. Edison does have a higher property crime rate, but hardly fits your description of "lots of crime".

But I suppose 'tis better to have loved in East Rutherford than to never have loved at all ...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Bound View Post
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your input. It's much appriciated. I was wondering about Verona? Any thoughts?
Verona is pretty nice. You can also check out Montclair, Bloomfield (Brookdale area), Nutley, West Caldwell...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times

Just a few of the projects going on or recently completed in Rahway

Skyview at Carriage City Plaza, Rahway, NJ

celebrity chef david drake a fine dining restaurant in rahway nj

Luciano's Italian Restaurant, Rahway, NJ : reviews

Park Square Online

http://savoyatrahway.com/2/lifestyle.html (broken link)

River Place at Rahway (http://www.riverplacerahway.com/attractions.asp - broken link)

Diversified Communities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey