U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
 
9 posts, read 31,538 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I had a couple quick questions to ask about the Journal Square area near the Ramada Limited area on Tonnelle Ave. I am staying there with my cousin at the hotel this weekend and I was wondering how it is to walk around there at night on the trip back from NYC/JSQ Path station.

Main reason I ask is because I will have my camera with me and I have heard mixed reviews about the Jersey City area. I am debating to bring my digital camera, or less expensive film camera, for being at risk of being mugged. Is that part of town considered "Downtown". I was reading from the other posters that downtown is the safest area, but I can't find any sort of boundary on google maps which would tell me where downtown is.

Does anyone know where the closest parking facility is to that hotel?

At first I was going to stay in Newark but was told by my cousin to stay away from there.


Thanks ahead of time!
I'm from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, which arn't the greatest cities either, I'm a college student if that matters and probably won't stand out as being a affluent individual who has tons of money.

Last edited by Justin27; 12-11-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,864 posts, read 17,736,158 times
Reputation: 6438
Journal Square (JSQ) is not Downtown. Downtown is near the Exchange Place, Pavonia Newport and Grove Street PATH stations. There are some hotels Downtown, but they're pretty expensive on a student budget. JSQ is meh, OK. It's not puppies and rainbows, yet you're not going to fear for your life there either. Your digi cam will be fine. I've walked around that area with a camera taking photos on the street, day and night, without a problem. As long as you have a bit of street smarts you're not going to land into any trouble. Just don't do anything really stupid like walk back to the hotel from the PATH in the middle of the night with your iPod on or something. Don't stare at the homeless people. Don't stop and dig out your wallet to hand them a dollar. Etc.

I've never stayed in the Ramada. It doesn't look like the nicest of hotels, but I can't imagine it would be too terrible. It probably hasn't been updated in awhile. I'd be interested in hearing your review of it. There are a few places open late on the Blvd if you need to catch a bite before bed, and nearby Newark Ave is the heart of Jersey City's Indian community, if you're into Indian food.

Enjoy your stay!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,495 posts, read 4,778,230 times
Reputation: 954
The Ramada won't be terrible, but Tonnelle Avenue is prostitute central at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
 
9 posts, read 31,538 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Journal Square (JSQ) is not Downtown. Downtown is near the Exchange Place, Pavonia Newport and Grove Street PATH stations. There are some hotels Downtown, but they're pretty expensive on a student budget. JSQ is meh, OK. It's not puppies and rainbows, yet you're not going to fear for your life there either. Your digi cam will be fine. I've walked around that area with a camera taking photos on the street, day and night, without a problem. As long as you have a bit of street smarts you're not going to land into any trouble. Just don't do anything really stupid like walk back to the hotel from the PATH in the middle of the night with your iPod on or something. Don't stare at the homeless people. Don't stop and dig out your wallet to hand them a dollar. Etc.

I've never stayed in the Ramada. It doesn't look like the nicest of hotels, but I can't imagine it would be too terrible. It probably hasn't been updated in awhile. I'd be interested in hearing your review of it. There are a few places open late on the Blvd if you need to catch a bite before bed, and nearby Newark Ave is the heart of Jersey City's Indian community, if you're into Indian food.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not really a fan of Indian food, unless Falafel is considered Indian?

I'll let you know how the hotel is, from the reviews I've seen on hotels.com, it was just remodeled and after looking at the pictures on the Ramada website it looks like a decent place to spend a night.

I may take a trip into the NYC at night, not to late but once it gets dark, probably like 6 or 7, to take photos. I was going to stay in White Plains at first but PATH is cheaper then taking a train to and from the city. Is there any easy way to get up to Weehawken from Journal Square, to take the Ferry either back from or over to NYC?

I'm taking a DSLR not a small digital point and shoot camera but it will be in a shoulder bag.

So closer to the river is considered downtown?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
 
43 posts, read 243,642 times
Reputation: 23
that hotel isn't really on the "hoe stroll" of tonnele avenue, its more of in a residential area...and the walk to the square is much longer than it looks on the map, taking you up sip avenue and and down kennedy, it can be a pretty intimidating experience for an outsider, its at least ten minutes..if you have any street smarts you'll be fine, but that area is notorious for muggings and crews of teenage stick up kids so your best bet is to just catch a cab at the station
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:14 PM
 
43 posts, read 243,642 times
Reputation: 23
you can take the 84 to weehawken from the square, just make sure it says park avenue and not bergenline, that'll put you a block from boulevard east which i'm guessing is what would most interest you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM
 
9 posts, read 31,538 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
that hotel isn't really on the "hoe stroll" of tonnele avenue, its more of in a residential area...and the walk to the square is much longer than it looks on the map, taking you up sip avenue and and down kennedy, it can be a pretty intimidating experience for an outsider, its at least ten minutes..if you have any street smarts you'll be fine, but that area is notorious for muggings and crews of teenage stick up kids so your best bet is to just catch a cab at the station
Lol, could I just take JFK Blvd instead of walking all the way down to Sip? If worse comes to worse I'd probably take a cab, and might anyways since its pretty cold now. Are cabs as abundant as they are in NYC, or would it be better to call ahead?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
 
43 posts, read 243,642 times
Reputation: 23
nowhere has as many cabs as nyc, but there are many different livery and yellow cab companies that i'm sure the hotel has a list of, and there is a cab stand right outside the path..oh and you're right, you can take kennedy to tonnele
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,558,687 times
Reputation: 2316
Oh god............. Not this again. Just stay in NYC if you are scared.
Unless you look like a mark, you will be fine in the Journal Square area.
Unbelievable.

I lived in the area for years & nothing ever happened to me. I've stumbled home drunk in the middle of the night by my self (in my younger days), hung out in front of my building talking to friends until the wee hours, ect.

Stay out of the Greeneville section & you will be fine (It's not near Journal Square).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,864 posts, read 17,736,158 times
Reputation: 6438
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
you can take the 84 to weehawken from the square, just make sure it says park avenue and not bergenline, that'll put you a block from boulevard east which i'm guessing is what would most interest you
You could also take the PATH to Pavonia-Newport and switch to the Light Rail. The Port Imperial light rail station is on the Weehawken waterfront by the ferry terminal, so getting on the ferry is easy. If you want to take photos from the park atop the Palisade, there is a staircase going up the cliff. It's narrow, and probably best climbed during the daytime. I'm not sure if the way is lit at night or not. If you take the bus gabrielo recommended up Park Avenue, get off at 42nd Street/Liberty Place and walk east to Blvd East. That's where the park atop the palisade is. You'll then have to walk down the narrow stairs to get to the Port Imperial ferry terminal. The stairs are located here. Check nywaterway.com for ferry schedules and fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin27 View Post
Lol, could I just take JFK Blvd instead of walking all the way down to Sip? If worse comes to worse I'd probably take a cab, and might anyways since its pretty cold now. Are cabs as abundant as they are in NYC, or would it be better to call ahead?
Yeah, just walk up the Blvd. The Ramada is a 5 minute walk to the PATH station, tops. There is a cab stand right in front of the PATH station if you feel you really want to use one. If you need one to pick you up at the hotel, have the concierge call one for you. You won't be able to hail a cab on Tonnele.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top