Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home buy - Crawl base mold - advice
Yes, buy this home, as the mold can be removed 3 21.43%
Yes, buy this home, as I had experience with this typer of crawl base mold and it can be removed. 3 21.43%
No, do not buy this home. 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,947,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
The house we bought was 2 years old and had a minor mold count in the attic, the inspector told us to use bleach and it worked.......even after 1 year we have no more mold.
Mold in an attic is usually due to inadequate ventilation conditions usually also evidenced by darkened roof sheathing and rust on exposed nail heads. Bleach will temporarily remove the mold but adding a roof ridge vent and an automatic vent fan should help eliminate the conditions the created the mold to begin with. Mold doesn't appear and disappear for no reason at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM

138 posts, read 507,025 times
Have the homeowner complete full remediation; if they balk, then walk away from the deal. Mold is not something you want to deal with. If you were my customer. that's how I'd advise you.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinetteNJ View Post
Have the homeowner complete full remediation; if they balk, then walk away from the deal. Mold is not something you want to deal with. If you were my customer. that's how I'd advise you.
Remediating the mold won't help unless you eliminate what caused the mold also !!!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,620,919 times
...not so fast! We had a mold problem in our crawl space. For some bizarro reason, we were the ONLY house in our development that didn't have a french drain. Our crawl space (pardon the pun ) was crawling with mold. We got a $15,000 credit towards the purchase price, took 8k to fix!

Shanny

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
...not so fast! We had a mold problem in our crawl space. For some bizarro reason, we were the ONLY house in our development that didn't have a french drain. Our crawl space (pardon the pun ) was crawling with mold. We got a $15,000 credit towards the purchase price, took 8k to fix!

Shanny
I'm assuming you remediated the mold and added a french drain system to remove the moisture in the future ?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:23 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,601,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Mold in an attic is usually due to inadequate ventilation conditions usually also evidenced by darkened roof sheathing and rust on exposed nail heads. Bleach will temporarily remove the mold but adding a roof ridge vent and an automatic vent fan should help eliminate the conditions the created the mold to begin with. Mold doesn't appear and disappear for no reason at all.
Good to k now thanks.......but what I didnt get was the house was only 2 years old, it has since been checked and so far so good!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

56 posts, read 109,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move2nj View Post
Hi,

Due to water pipe leak from the next door, crawl base has mold on all side walls.
Thanks,
Move2NJ
We had a similar problem develop under similar circumstances. Our neighbor's home flooded while they were in Europe. The feed line to their washing machine somehow broke. Water flooded their entire first floor and streamed out under the back door insulation because of the pressure. It wasn't noticed by my family or our other neighbors. Over the next week we noticed that our lawn was very wet. The weather was dry. After getting muddy trying to mow the lawn my son began to search for the cause and discovered the flooded next door house. By then water was visible running out from the front of the house into the driveway and down into the storm drain.

We did not have an emergency phone number for our neighbors and did not know they were away. As a last resort we called 911. The cops broke the door down and it was like Niagara Falls. The force of the water nearly knocked them down. They succeeded in cutting the water off and securing the home.

About a month later we smelled an unusual odor and began to suspect mold. Sure enough our crawl space was dotted with what we now know was gray crust mold. Our homeowners policy paid for eradication and cleanup. We are checked monthly and so far it has not returned. The total cost for our house was just under 3K.

The damage was so bad next door that all of the flooring and part of the first floor sheet rock had to be demolished. All of the furniture on the first floor destroyed. Then a company that specialized in drying out flooded buildings came in before any construction could begin. It's been nearly a year since this occurred.

The company that did our mold eradication was very professional and did everything they could to see that we were satisfied with their work.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 10,776 times
Thanks to all. I have decided not to buy the home with mold.

Thanks again for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: