Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 PM

63 posts, read 109,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
On another note of keeping costs for us down. It's a small thing, but I'm sure it adds up. You will all think I'm nuts.

Tell all the seniors you know (with the exception of diabetics) to go to a salon to have their toe nails cut. My 92 year old grandmother has gone to a few podiatrists over time now to have them cut and they charge $100 each time and call it surgery!!!!!! And this is billed to medicare!! We pay for these things. If we could cut down on these wastes, it would save a lot of money.
Hi Jersey719, the reason why seniors go to the foot doctor for their nails is because they can't afford a salon visit because of their high tax bills, maybe you could cut your grannys toenails, it's not that bad, I do my husbands, but I use a chainsaw! heehee! Isn't medicare federal?

ALSO, half of the services available to inmates is a bit ridiculous too. I could go on for a really loooooong time about this one. As some of you know, I spent quite some time working in our CJ system.
I agree with you about the inmate situation, it's supposed to be a prison, not a spa retreat! You should start a thread about this, I bet you'll get alot of replies.

There are so many little changes we could make as a society that would add up to a huge amount and yet all the politicians want to do is look for the big things. I think they should shift to the small stuff and they would turn into big stuff. JMHO
If everybody would bombard their local politicians with emails maybe we could get results. I am in the process of working with my assemblyman to sponser a bill to cap off the taxes for people who don't utilize the public school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:18 PM

63 posts, read 109,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
this is why our monetary policy is bad. Inflation wipes out a lifetime of savings.
Oakman, I agree, I'm living it! This state doesn't relize that people with no children actually keep the school taxes down by not having children in the system, when we move we sell to people with kids furthering the burden of the schools. The sad thing is, most of the school budget goes to the administraters who are waaaaaaaaay overpaid in the first place.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
a home fitting that description (right down to square footage) recently sold in my town for a song and dance. this home sold for over $40K less than a 2700 sq home (same type home, 2700 sq ft home is 5 yrs older too and on 1/2 the land) 2 yrs ago. big house was NOT in foreclosure.
Doesn't happen where I live. Bankruptcy? Divorce? Many homes sell for a "song and a dance" given homeowners circumstances no matter the market...especially when a smaller/less property house in the same "town" goes for $40K more...did you see the inside? Do a walk-through? Know the sellers personally? Was the home in disrepair? You have to take a lot more into consideration than selling price...even in this market...and did the fortunate buyers buy it to live in or fix up and sell? What do you really know about this house?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBlinkyLite View Post
If everybody would bombard their local politicians with emails maybe we could get results. I am in the process of working with my assemblyman to sponser a bill to cap off the taxes for people who don't utilize the public school system.

I'm with you on bombarding them. Just so sick of getting the stock form emails back. I do it anyway.

Funny how people are though. I went to a council meeting to speak about something that ours is doing that is completely wrong and wondering what their thoughts are on it. Believe me, I'm not the only one that feels this way BUT I spoke and went by the others that felt the same as me and all they could do was shake their heads and talk about what a shame it was.
Not ONE of the others would get up and speak. People like to complain and then do NOTHING about it other than complain. So I'm with you on taking action. After all, don't these people work for us????

Old 12-17-2008, 05:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBlinkyLite View Post
OH - and yes, I do cut hers for her. After I found out what the charge was I started doing it. It's not bad at all. She's clean and takes great care of herself. Yes, medicare is federal, but imagine all the money that could be saved and put toward other things if this changed. I understand what you said about not being able to afford it. Maybe the doctors shouldn't call it "surgery" and charge a little less for doing it. It's an abuse of the system.

I could start a post about the prisons and it would probably shock a lot of you.
This time of year, one of my pet peeves is the Salvation Army. I know I'll get attacked for this BUT each year I worked in the prisons, I saw them come in with gift packages for the inmates. FOR THE INMATES!!!! They're getting gift packages off our donations AND the other funding they get.

Sorry, I got really off topic there...

Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Doesn't happen where I live. Bankruptcy? Divorce? Many homes sell for a "song and a dance" given homeowners circumstances no matter the market...especially when a smaller/less property house in the same "town" goes for $40K more...did you see the inside? Do a walk-through? Know the sellers personally? Was the home in disrepair? You have to take a lot more into consideration than selling price...even in this market...and did the fortunate buyers buy it to live in or fix up and sell? What do you really know about this house?
I know everything I need to know since a good friend of mine is a realtor and gave me the scoop. Trust me, I'm not talking out of my a** - prices are dropping like a rock HERE.

BTW, my old house is on the market for less than what was paid in late 2003.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
concerning the seniors posts: people are trying try to push seniors into reverse mortgages. Now I dont know if that rings true still in this market but the man I know 85 years old is considering this , its his only choice at this point! So that is the future of our seniors REVERSE MORTGAGES!!???? How terrible is this??????

Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I know everything I need to know since a good friend of mine is a realtor and gave me the scoop. Trust me, I'm not talking out of my a** - prices are dropping like a rock HERE.

BTW, my old house is on the market for less than what was paid in late 2003.
I agree with you just scan the mls, prices are dropping. There is no doubt about it!!! I just saw a great house in Norwood, Bergen County, NJ fixed to the hill for 340's. I have not seen that in along time in Norwood for a totally big renovated home!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 AM

220 posts, read 623,672 times
Yes prices here in Morris Cnty are dropping like crazy as well. The larger homes are really taking the hits. Homes are listed at 100K less than they would have been a short year ago...I myself am constantly looking for that perfect opportunity for a move for my family in this market. Will prices continue to drop? Experts say they will. I feel badly for the original poster. It sounds as if they are really doing their homework on these listings (on maybe short sales & foreclosures) & these are the most frustrating of transactions to enter into BUT can be the most rewarding if all works out. As they experienced...it commonly goes awry. PLUS they are up against all the other bargain hunters out there fighting for the same "cherry" house. What I've seen happening is buyers are picking a house(s) & then watching it until they feel the price has dropped significantly enough for them to make an offer...BUT what many don't realize is there are 10 other people and/or Realtors also watching the same house & once it makes that drop...everyone is on top of it throwing out offers. Sounds like our poster has seen this routine before. All I can offer is to keep at the diligent homework & the right house WILL happen for them. With the current state of things, chances are many more opportunities will be emerging.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz555 View Post
Yes prices here in Morris Cnty are dropping like crazy as well. The larger homes are really taking the hits. Homes are listed at 100K less than they would have been a short year ago...I myself am constantly looking for that perfect opportunity for a move for my family in this market. Will prices continue to drop? Experts say they will. I feel badly for the original poster. It sounds as if they are really doing their homework on these listings (on maybe short sales & foreclosures) & these are the most frustrating of transactions to enter into BUT can be the most rewarding if all works out. As they experienced...it commonly goes awry. PLUS they are up against all the other bargain hunters out there fighting for the same "cherry" house. What I've seen happening is buyers are picking a house(s) & then watching it until they feel the price has dropped significantly enough for them to make an offer...BUT what many don't realize is there are 10 other people and/or Realtors also watching the same house & once it makes that drop...everyone is on top of it throwing out offers. Sounds like our poster has seen this routine before. All I can offer is to keep at the diligent homework & the right house WILL happen for them. With the current state of things, chances are many more opportunities will be emerging.
That's where I am, so I'm glad to see some verification from someone with a pulse on the market. And the particular house I was referring to above is a high end home, so you're backing me up there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey