Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you're on a fixed income, and if I'm correct, you're 39 yrs old. i can only suspect some of your support will become SC's problem, which I guess in some small way helps "dirty jersey".
LMAO. One less to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ah jerseygirl you really cant say that. Many of us dislike what NJ has become and will always call it home but few can stand there with a straight face and say they dont miss something about it.

A-flippin'-men to that. We have a thread in the Charlotte forum about places you miss and man...you can't help but get a little misty eyed talking about places "back home". It's always "back home" to me, even if my home is now in North Carolina.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You might find Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont more to your liking. All good answers you made but those answers suggest you should live someplace with miminal summers.
See that's the thing-I think I'm addicted to the change more than the season itself. By the beginning of March I'm ready to feel the sun on my face and hear the birds chirping again. Regardless, like clockwork by the end of August I'm jonesing for the leaves to start changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you're on a fixed income, and if I'm correct, you're 39 yrs old. i can only suspect some of your support will become SC's problem, which I guess in some small way helps "dirty jersey".
ZING!!! Good one Tahiti! I was thinking it but you said it.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That "dirty Jersey" deal seriously grates on my nerves too. The whole post grated on my nerves.
Dirty ??? Lets not specifically pick on New Jersey with this label. Half my relatives are Canadian from the Toronto area and I have been up there at least once every year to visit....sometimes lengthy visits. I can tell you that compared to Canadian cities and suburbs New Jersey is dirty but the right to litter seems to be an American mentality. To throw trash out your car window while driving in unthinkable in Canada but you see it every day here in the States. Its not just New Jersey.....we've pretty much become blind to the trash along the highways and on our city streets.... before we take offense to being called dirty you need to take a serious look at how others see the trash that litters our road sides. Litter is not tolerated in Canada but for some reason Americans seem to grant themselves the right to leave their trash behind whenever and whereever they please. Theres no better example than Niagara Falls.......its better now that it used to be but the Canadian side is pretty much litter free while the American side leaves much to be desired in cleanliness.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I did the whole NJ to SC thing. Believe me, it's no treat. Couldn't wait to get back. WOW!! I can't believe you're paying $1036 a mo for a 3 bedroom house and think that's bad.

I had one of the best paying jobs in SC and it didn't pay that much. If you're on assistance, then you'll be ok.

One of the posters are right about the cars and when I lived there, you still had to have your car inspected. It was done at private garages though and you paid for it. Very nominal fee, but just a formality. You'll see when you get behind a car that's emitting such harsh fumes you want to pass out.

I did like being able to be on the beach when it isn't even spring yet here. I didn't like how they hate northerners for the most part and are still fighting the civil war. Just wait until you experience that.
You think NJ is dirty?? You are in for a rude awakening. Unless you plan on never leaving your house, then you won't see it.

Our quality of life was worse. Housing was cheaper, but that's about it. And if you think car registration here is bad, wait until you see how much you are going to pay in personal property tax on your car down there. Back in the early 90's, I paid almost $300 a year for my '86 Tbird.

And what the heck are you going to do with a fireplace in SC?? Think about it. We had cold nights, but there weren't that many.

Good luck and hope it's all you think it will be.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I don't get that "retiring somewhere warm" thing. My grandfather hunted every fall and winter, split wood, plowed snow, etc...everyday until the day he died-he was retired for 20 years. There's just something that's not right with a place where it never snows
You can still have plenty of fun in the Carolinas when major ice storms roll through. We'd get ice every year, but every few years a real whopper would come along. You can chip ice for days and days. At least it's something to do while the power is out and all of the roads are closed. The firewood comes in real handy when you don't have any heat. I learned to keep the tank full on the gas grill.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
I moved to Tn a yr and a half ago from the Jersey shore,I read the posts here, but sometimes feel funny posting here now that I am no longer there. I just wanted to say "just for me", I miss things of Jersey alot.As far as peolpe moving here, be ready depending where you are going for some culture schock.I think there are "dirty places" everywhere, but I never considered Jersey dirty.There are alot of beautiful areas of N.J. ,the financial status isn't so great down here either.And as far as leaving friends and family, I would recommend thinking serious about a move.I miss being away from my old friends.I wish the best to everyone!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
First impressions matter. And for many who don't know the state, or have spent any time in it, this is usually what greets one who arrives in the Garden State:

From that point forward, they are given a side order of this:

And that's a real shame. Maryland and Delaware, for the same reasons, often suffer negative stigmatisms, when in fact, both of those states have beautiful areas as well. So, the state gets labeled as 'dirty', in large measure, because of this one road that so many receive their initial exposure from.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I moved to Tn a yr and a half ago from the Jersey shore,I read the posts here, but sometimes feel funny posting here now that I am no longer there. I just wanted to say "just for me", I miss things of Jersey alot.As far as peolpe moving here, be ready depending where you are going for some culture schock.I think there are "dirty places" everywhere, but I never considered Jersey dirty.There are alot of beautiful areas of N.J. ,the financial status isn't so great down here either.And as far as leaving friends and family, I would recommend thinking serious about a move.I miss being away from my old friends.I wish the best to everyone!
hey pop in to the Jersey forum even if you now live in TN, lots of ex jerseans still come here

Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
See that's the thing-I think I'm addicted to the change more than the season itself. By the beginning of March I'm ready to feel the sun on my face and hear the birds chirping again. Regardless, like clockwork by the end of August I'm jonesing for the leaves to start changing.

ZING!!! Good one Tahiti! I was thinking it but you said it.
not always, Im on a fixed income however its from some of my investments put into a money market. So I get a fixed income too, however its my money not the states!!! So we dont know that for a fact, I mean you could say that about me too. However husband does want to work for social and love of cars. So there is one working in the family. However I never considered myself a non working loser, I have my money working for me. SO this is not all cases. I never though that when I said I was on a Fixed Income put two and two together, thats why I got a lot of funny looks?? Never thought of that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey