Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of talk on here about the music BACK WHEN. does anybody like todays generations music, i know most of you probably hate it.

I got into music in the 90s when i hit junior high and yes i loved it then more then now but c'mon, theres gotta be some songs you like nowadays.

Im talkin about songs on Z100 or summin. anyone !?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I hear a lot of talk on here about the music BACK WHEN. does anybody like todays generations music, i know most of you probably hate it.

I got into music in the 90s when i hit junior high and yes i loved it then more then now but c'mon, theres gotta be some songs you like nowadays.

Im talkin about songs on Z100 or summin. anyone !?

Interesting topic! OK, I'll bite. Yes, I do INDEED hate most of today's popular music. I think the quality of music as a whole took a severe nosedive in the early 1990s (starting with the grunge movement) and has yet to recover. I love 50s, 60s, 70s (not too crazy about disco, but the 70s is still overall my favorite music decade), and 80s popular music, but I hate most 90s and 2000s pop music.

Which current bands do I like? Not many. Paramore is very good. My Chemical Romance is also very good, but I have a feeling they're going to disappear into obscurity. Kelly Clarkson was good, but seems to be slipping lately. Avril Lavigne is pretty good. Fallout Boy is good (although I generally can't stand emo, these guys have talent). Chris Daughtry could have been great, but he sold out and made his album too soft and commercial. We'll see what the future holds for him and for David Cook, who also has potential.

But none of these bands can hold a candle to Journey, Queen, Styx, Rush, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Go-Gos, Duran Duran, etc. IMHO.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
I hate anything that's on the radio or the billboard charts. THere is so much great music out there that doesn't even make it to the radio stations. I refuse to listen to any of this popular crap because it's just what the media wants you to listen to.

Beyonce? Britney Spears? P Diddy? MIley Cyrus, Madonna, Celine Dion, Jamie Foxx, are you kidding me? Great singers?? *shudders*

Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I outgrew grunge, ska was a gimmick

Music today is just not marketed correctly, it is too trendy

It is a lifestyle, and is exclusive for a certain clique, that is how they make lots of money off the clothes and magazines, and what nots

That business tactic started in the 90's with alternative music

It was marketed with flannel shirts, and no fear gear, and rollerblades, and skateboards

Those corporations made a ton of money

Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I outgrew grunge, ska was a gimmick

Music today is just not marketed correctly, it is too trendy

It is a lifestyle, and is exclusive for a certain clique, that is how they make lots of money off the clothes and magazines, and what nots

That business tactic started in the 90's with alternative music

It was marketed with flannel shirts, and no fear gear, and rollerblades, and skateboards

Those corporations made a ton of money
Bingo!

I haven't heard anything with real lyrics that are either "fun" (read: Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonite, Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right to Party) or "meaningful" (Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World, Bruce Springsteen - Your Hometown, Mister Mister - Take These Broken Wings).

Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
The music industry, in this day and age, is no longer about turning out musicians and albums. It's about turning out celebrities and singles.

There is no such thing as a real album anymore. An album now is, what, 2 singles and a bunch of filler (and, of course we all know that we have the choice to buy only the 2 singles, as opposed to the whole album). Albums used to have an arc...tell a story...have a theme. Now they are merely a platform...a formality, really...to ***** out the only 2 singles that are viable.

The more we delve into the digital, the more meaningless the music becomes. There isn't even a CD, or a casette tape, or a record to hold in your hand anymore. No liner notes. No album art. Everything is merely a file to download. And once you get sick of it, or it goes out of fashion, it gets lost in the bowels of your hard drive forever.

Very few artists (and I use that term lightly), write their own material. Very few of them even know how to really sing.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Interesting topic! OK, I'll bite. Yes, I do INDEED hate most of today's popular music. I think the quality of music as a whole took a severe nosedive in the early 1990s (starting with the grunge movement) and has yet to recover. I love 50s, 60s, 70s (not too crazy about disco, but the 70s is still overall my favorite music decade), and 80s popular music, but I hate most 90s and 2000s pop music.

Which current bands do I like? Not many. Paramore is very good. My Chemical Romance is also very good, but I have a feeling they're going to disappear into obscurity. Kelly Clarkson was good, but seems to be slipping lately. Avril Lavigne is pretty good. Fallout Boy is good (although I generally can't stand emo, these guys have talent). Chris Daughtry could have been great, but he sold out and made his album too soft and commercial. We'll see what the future holds for him and for David Cook, who also has potential.

But none of these bands can hold a candle to Journey, Queen, Styx, Rush, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Go-Gos, Duran Duran, etc. IMHO.

You sure got that right !!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 54,251 times
Songs on Z100? i don't think many people consider anything on Z100 quality music, especially since that station has 10 songs on rotation all day.

There are many good bands around today, but are much more played out west and are popular among college/young adults. You wouldn't hear much of them on the radio out east. Bands like Fleet Foxes, TV on the Radio, MGMT, Okkervil River, The Decemberists, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, etc.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I hate anything that's on the radio or the billboard charts. THere is so much great music out there that doesn't even make it to the radio stations. I refuse to listen to any of this popular crap because it's just what the media wants you to listen to.

Beyonce? Britney Spears? P Diddy? MIley Cyrus, Madonna, Celine Dion, Jamie Foxx, are you kidding me? Great singers?? *shudders*
c'mon Beyonce has a great voice. no?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
I love "modern day music," just not what you hear on the popular radio stations. There are a lot of amazing musicians out there who exemplify and revolutionize musical ideals. Look harder...you'll find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: