Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even when I lived in West Paterson in the 90s, black people were moving there who didn't want to live in Paterson because of the drugs and crime. Our neighbors in the apartment across the hall moved out of Paterson because they were adopting a baby and didn't want to raise her in Paterson. They ended up buying a house in town.

One day the man knocked on my door and told me to bring my daughter's bicycle in because he noticed some black people walking around and was afraid they would steal it. HE was black.

I also knew some white people in West Paterson, siblings from a large family but some were married and had their own families, who had come from Paterson and still had other siblings there. They spoke like stereotypical inner-city black people with the "ax" and the "birfday" but they were all white as ghosts with red hair. A couple of the brothers were recovering heroin addicts.

Paterson's an interesting place, and my ancestral home. My grandparents met in Paterson while working in the silk mills about a hundred years ago.
Mighty Queen,

Are both your grandparents Dutch?

I remember you mentioned you were Dutch in one of your posts on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Mighty Queen,

Are both your grandparents Dutch?

I remember you mentioned you were Dutch in one of your posts on the forum.
Well, I am past 60, and all my grandparents are DEAD. (Although, a great-uncle, my maternal grandmother's brother, is still alive at 95.)

All of my grandparents were born in the USA, as were most of the great-grandparents. Three greats I know were born in Holland.

On my mother's side, the families of both grandparents came here from the Netherlands, while on my father's side, my great-great-grandparents whose English surname I bear came from Manchester, England, to Paterson, NJ, during the Civil War. They were cotton-mill workers in England but the mills were closing because the Yankee blockade was preventing cotton from getting through. There was work in the Paterson silk mills, so they crossed the pond in 1863 and took up residence and work in Paterson. My father's mother's people were Dutch, though. There's also one English line married into there somewhere that goes back to 18th century New England.

That's about as exotic as my DNA gets.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:51 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
because Paterson is a 3rd world hole? (except for the Italian neighborhood next to Totowa)
The neighborhood around big Turkish bakery that is open 24 * 7 is decent as well. I completely forgot what it is called...

Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
The neighborhood around big Turkish bakery that is open 24 * 7 is decent as well. I completely forgot what it is called...
South Paterson

Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
I bring up the point when people start comparing Paterson to Hoboken, Jersey City. do not compare-- HOBOKEN IS TWELVE (12) MINUTES FROM WALL STREET ! Therefore, the appeal is 100% for "millenials" & others working on/near Wall Street. Paterson, is a long commute. Furthermore, Hoboken always had a very diverse population, Italian, Irish, German, Black, some Latinos, etc.
Too much to say about Paterson, but not in the mood today, read my several years ago posts from Neleh !
Well to play devil's advocate, plenty of people commute to the city from farther areas to the north of Paterson, like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, etc.

The fact that Paterson has a train station gives it some hope IMO. It might take decades, but if cities in Hudson and Essex continue to get more expensive, Paterson might generate some interest from young professionals looking for a cheap urban environment. I think Newark has a greater shot of revitalizing in the near future though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey