Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times

Advertisements

Although video games and internet have some part in it, I think the times we're living in are mostly to blame.

I could live in Alpine or Ridgewood and I would NEVER let my kids go to the local park alone to play. Sickos can be found everywhere.

Another thing to blame is the weather. You can't expect to see parks and front yards full of children playing in January . You do see alot more kids around during the summer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Many parents don't let their kids play outside.
Computers and video games are a big culprit
What I find fascinating is how many parents drive their kids 3 blocks to school instead of walk them to school OR have them walk to school with a group of kids!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM

101 posts, read 460,711 times
as a parent of a preschooler and a toddler we do our best to get outside, but in the winter months it isn't practical for long periods of time. As a side project this past summer, we ventured to many playgrounds in NJ to post on our website, and there are some playgrounds teeming with kids and others that are barely used. It depends on the town, the time of day. I think many parents would love to let their kids hang out with the neighborhood kids like the old days, but when you have visibility to all the sex offender crimes/news reports/missing kids it makes you think twice. So you do the best you can, use your judgement, curb the tv/video games, and talk to your neighbors. We live on a busy street but are good friends with our neighbor across the way who have kids the same age as ours, they already spend alot of time together, and we've gotten to meet other moms through a moms club, so I guess that's what we do... In a few years, then it's school and I'm sure there are other parents here that can share their experiences...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
As the parent of 3 daughters, I don't let mine go anywhere other than the back yard unless they are with someone else. Too many sick people and crazy drivers. I live in a community of 25 mph streets, very off the beaten path and many many times have had to call the police in the summer to come down and crack down on these crazy drivers so the kids can play. They're driving like they're on the turnpike, flying down the roads. It isn't safe.

Whoever said something about the predators is on the money too. I'd love to be able to let them play outside and not worry. I will sit on the front porch if they're out there just to keep watch.
They take a walk, but not without our dog in tow. He's big and intimidating and someone would think twice before approaching them.

It's not always the tv or computer, sometimes it's just the times we live in that prevent things from being like the good old days.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
As the parent of 3 daughters, I don't let mine go anywhere other than the back yard unless they are with someone else. Too many sick people and crazy drivers. I live in a community of 25 mph streets, very off the beaten path and many many times have had to call the police in the summer to come down and crack down on these crazy drivers so the kids can play. They're driving like they're on the turnpike, flying down the roads. It isn't safe.

Whoever said something about the predators is on the money too. I'd love to be able to let them play outside and not worry. I will sit on the front porch if they're out there just to keep watch.
They take a walk, but not without our dog in tow. He's big and intimidating and someone would think twice before approaching them.

It's not always the tv or computer, sometimes it's just the times we live in that prevent things from being like the good old days.
But have the times really changed that much or is it simply a matter of we are more aware of it today with the unbeliebaly larger flow of information?

I am sure there were sickos back then- you just didnt know about them. Hell, there may have been MORE back then and their numbers have gone down with things like the national registry of sex offenders, etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
But have the times really changed that much or is it simply a matter of we are more aware of it today with the unbeliebaly larger flow of information?

I am sure there were sickos back then- you just didnt know about them. Hell, there may have been MORE back then and their numbers have gone down with things like the national registry of sex offenders, etc.

You are very much correct. There were probably just as many, it was just kept quiet like dirty little secrets. Maybe even more.

We are so much more aware of what is going on in the world now.

After spending 10 years working in the prison system, I'm hyperaware of what goes on outside and know where the predators are in my area especially.

Times have changed so much. It went from "you probably asked for it" to what we have now, which is more zero tolerance. We shelter our kids from a lot and I can't say it's such a bad thing knowing what is out there.

My grandmother is 92 and I can't believe how she is so scared on one side of her and yet, "oh, these things happen, move on" on the other. She would rather bury the bad and pretend it didn't happen. Her whole generation was that way though. Remember, child abuse was discipline back then.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 AM

161 posts, read 767,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
What happend to catching lightning bugs or jumpin in leaves?
Inviting anyone to ur slip-n-slide on the lawn when it's hot out?
Chasing the ice-cream truck for some airheads or stink bomb?
Playing ball without being on the school team?
Playing manhunt, truth or dare, getting in trouble?
Eating a sub/hoagie behind the store with a bud talkin about a girl?
Have kids forgot how to play with hotwheels?

i'm going nowhere with this, what's the good side to this??
Ok. Im 27 years old and here are my reasons for kids staying indoors more and not doing things on this list.

1. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.
2. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.
3. Ice cream trucks have gone out of business.
4. Nowhere to play and older people yelling at kids to not hit the ball in their yard, at their house, at their car.
5. Older people yelling at kids to stay off their property. Cops yelling at kids for trespassing and arresting kids for any reason.
6. Shop owner calling cops on kids for trespassing.
7. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.

Before blaming computers and games for this, look at yourselve. Just the other day my wife was complaining to me that kids were hanging outside 7-11 and I was like, what are they doing wrong?

Parents are obsessed that nothing wrong EVER happens to their kids. Whatever happened to skinned knees and elbows? Parents insist on their kids wearing safety equipment for EVERYTHING.

Whatever happened to kids going on the monkey bars? Parents insisted on telling their local gov't that these are unsafe.

Why dont kids go out and play in the snow? Parents insist they are going to get sick and miss school.

Why dont kids play ball anymore at the parks? Parents insist on setting their kids up with organized teams. No one can just play on their own, everything must be scheduled. Plus they are worried about undesirables hanging out in parks.

Thats the mentallity people have today. Everything is either unsafe or an arrestable offense. I think its got WAY more to do with parents and older people than the kids.

And don't give me "oh crime worse outside than the good old days" PLEASE! Look at ANY crime stat and you'll see things are far BETTER this day in age. You can take risks. Parents take all the fun out of being a kid to save a few lives.

Like the guy was saying above me, Im sure people drove fast cars down your street 20 years ago. Their were just as many sick sex offenders 20-30-40-50 years ago too. Its the obsession that NOTHING EVER bad can happen to your kid. Might as well grow them in a plastic bubble.

Stop blaming computers, tv, and video games when its YOUR fault.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
Ok. Im 27 years old and here are my reasons for kids staying indoors more and not doing things on this list.

1. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.
2. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.
3. Ice cream trucks have gone out of business.
4. Nowhere to play and older people yelling at kids to not hit the ball in their yard, at their house, at their car.
5. Older people yelling at kids to stay off their property. Cops yelling at kids for trespassing and arresting kids for any reason.
6. Shop owner calling cops on kids for trespassing.
7. Parents instilled in their minds that this is dangerous.

Before blaming computers and games for this, look at yourselve. Just the other day my wife was complaining to me that kids were hanging outside 7-11 and I was like, what are they doing wrong?

Parents are obsessed that nothing wrong EVER happens to their kids. Whatever happened to skinned knees and elbows? Parents insist on their kids wearing safety equipment for EVERYTHING.

Whatever happened to kids going on the monkey bars? Parents insisted on telling their local gov't that these are unsafe.

Why dont kids go out and play in the snow? Parents insist they are going to get sick and miss school.

Why dont kids play ball anymore at the parks? Parents insist on setting their kids up with organized teams. No one can just play on their own, everything must be scheduled. Plus they are worried about undesirables hanging out in parks.

Thats the mentallity people have today. Everything is either unsafe or an arrestable offense. I think its got WAY more to do with parents and older people than the kids.

And don't give me "oh crime worse outside than the good old days" PLEASE! Look at ANY crime stat and you'll see things are far BETTER this day in age. You can take risks. Parents take all the fun out of being a kid to save a few lives.

Like the guy was saying above me, Im sure people drove fast cars down your street 20 years ago. Their were just as many sick sex offenders 20-30-40-50 years ago too. Its the obsession that NOTHING EVER bad can happen to your kid. Might as well grow them in a plastic bubble.

Stop blaming computers, tv, and video games when its YOUR fault.

Let's see, traffic just as bad?? I don't think so. More drivers, cars,etc.

And let them have bad happen to them? You're 27!! Grow up, get some kids of your own and then talk to me.
Sure, let a sexual predator get a hold of my kids. Give me a break. You don't have a clue.
We have enough to worry about without the added stuff. Yeah, the kids at the park aren't great influences, but that's the least of the worries.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM

161 posts, read 767,654 times
There were sexual predators when you were a kid too. Just like there were when I was a kid. Did your parents not let you play outside on your own or with friends?

Your parents told you not to talk to stangers and you went on with your life.

Im not saying let something bad happen to them, but rather to educate them and not simply remove them from society

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Ok, I thought you were saying, let them go and whatever happens, happens.

Yes, there were sexual predators then, you're right. Unfortunately, the only games of pick up to be had are basketball. Our ball fields are by permit only (insurance purposes). And with the sprawl of neighborhoods, there aren't any empty field spaces available. We live in a very litigious society. It's not like when we were kids and could break the neighbor's window and then just buy them a new one or work off what they paid to have it replaced. You'll have a server knocking on your door before you know it.

I think there have been too many scares too close to home for some especially with NJ being the birthplace of Megan's Law.
You're right, parents have to educate their kids. I did it by putting fear into them after my previous line of work. They are very careful and can go out in groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey