Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM

12 posts, read 74,787 times

Advertisements

My husband and I looked at a few condos in The Portofino building in Jersey City. We've been living in Manhattan for the past 8 years but need to move out for more space as we're expecting soon and need extra room plus parking for a car. We're looking to buy a place in JC as an investment - live there for 3-5 years, then possibly rent out as the child hits school age as we are aware that the public schools there are not great.

Can anyone comment on the area (how safe, convenience, vibe) and/or the building itself? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
You may want to go a little farther into NJ if you can. You can get some great deals, especially now and have a home (not a condo) for quite some time not worrying about moving in 5 years or so.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Have you ever considered Clifton? Check your PM box, I have something that may be good for you especially if you you have a kid and are looking for school. Close to NYC transportation as well.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl610 View Post
My husband and I looked at a few condos in The Portofino building in Jersey City. We've been living in Manhattan for the past 8 years but need to move out for more space as we're expecting soon and need extra room plus parking for a car. We're looking to buy a place in JC as an investment - live there for 3-5 years, then possibly rent out as the child hits school age as we are aware that the public schools there are not great.

Can anyone comment on the area (how safe, convenience, vibe) and/or the building itself? Thanks in advance!
It's extremely safe. Newport is a high-rise neighborhood...if you like that, then that's fine. I prefer the more historic neighborhoods of JC, as I find that they have more character (Hamilton Park, Van Vorst Park, Paulus Hook). Newport just seems a bit sterile to me...but that's just me. There are lots of shops and restaurants, but in Newport they tend to be franchise-y, while in the other areas they are more mom and pop, which is, in my opinion, much better! Check out the neighborhood yourself to see if you like it...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,605 times
I would say that is a very safe area and very convenient if you and your husband work in Manhattan, especially lower Manhattan.

I live in JC and really love it, so I would recommend it for your situation. I think in 3-5 years that would be an excellent place to hold a rental. I think it would be a great investment.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 AM

303 posts, read 752,298 times
[ - live there for 3-5 years, then possibly rent out as the child hits school age as we are aware that the public schools there are not great.

Can anyone comment on the area (how safe, convenience, vibe) and/or the building itself? Thanks in advance![/quote]

Ok if you havent heard mcnair high school is considered to be one of the best high school in the country for the past 2 years and its a public high school well somewhat public they only take a certain amount of students a year but still public. grant schools arent the best i know ive lived here but a new school is being built inthe heights area for K-5 some elementary schools are decent not great but decent. If you want a house best bet is the heights greenville is a really bad area. The Heights has its problems but not as serious as greenville

Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 42,631 times
Can anyone suggest a reputable realtor in the Jersey City area, specializing in rental's?? Thanks!!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 19,677 times
I know this may sound crazy, but the best "realtor" to find a nice place in Jersey City is Craigslist. My sister and I are also interested in moving to JC and we tried realtors at first, but then we realized that alot of what they were showing us was overpriced and in bad neighborhoods and on top of that they charge at least one month's rent as their fee. Try your own search before you go to a realtor. There are TONS of listings on Craigslist...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM

36 posts, read 139,182 times
Definitely, would reccommend the Portofino and its surrounding neighborhood.

Consider this if you are looking at your closest neighbors.........

Athena building 2 bedrooms go for about 700k

Trump towers 2 bedrooms 2 baths go for about 750k

Crystal Point 2 bedrooms 2 bath go for about 915k

You can get a unit at portofino between 500-600K

Thats a 100-200k difference but gives you a good idea about your neighbors!!!

Somebody is paying 915k to live on the same block as you!

Now granted those buildings named above are new construction, hence the difference in price.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM

25 posts, read 98,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl610 View Post

Hi nycgirl610,

I was just wondering if you ended up buying a condo in JC? I'm looking to do the same (condo as an investment and live there for 3-5 years)...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey