Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemask View Post
Just curious...

As I was checking craigslist, I found a few single-family houses for rent for around $3000, in clifton, nutley, lyndhurst, etc. As I am paying $1800 for my rent and already feel the pinch, I wonder who would spend that much renting a 3-4 bedroom house like this? With that much money, wouldn't the renter be able to afford to buy one for him/herself?

Your thoughts?
U will pay the same if u bough a home in a newer neighborhood 3,000 sq.ft with finished basement right off exit 6, south jersey, those old/greater newark towns arent worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
In Hoboken and Jersey City there are studios that rent for $2,500...many people just do not desire to own a home, it's that simple.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Hoboken and Edewater and stuff like that do that 3,000/mo kinda stuff. Lyndhurst and Nutley.. not as common

Might as well own a home if your goin to pay 3,000/mo.. I know i would if my budget was that great

But im lucky to have a 1300/mo 3bdrm in Lodi on a main floor of a 2 family home, I love it, my wife wants to own.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-05-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,747 times
I currently have a rental listing for $4,000/mo in the Princeton area and it is not the most expensive listing in the area. The home sits on 3 acres and has 6 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, finished basement with wetbar, 2 tiered deck with gazebo, and many more upscale upgrades. Our market includes many relocating executives with families who are on temporary assignments of 1-2 years.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM

342 posts, read 716,981 times
We're renting for 2,500 a month- plan to relocate in a year. We sold our townhouse, since we thought prices would go down drastically over the next year - will buy again when we relocate. Since we closed (in October) prices in our development have gone down enough that we've paid for our rental for the year.

I was shocked at how bad most of the rentals we saw were - most of them at our price point (and up to $3,000) were in horrible shape. When we found the house we're in now, we grabbed it - totally remodeled - new kitchen & baths - fresh paint, etc.

Anyway, for us renting for the year was a good move I think.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 22,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
I currently have a rental listing for $4,000/mo in the Princeton area and it is not the most expensive listing in the area. The home sits on 3 acres and has 6 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, finished basement with wetbar, 2 tiered deck with gazebo, and many more upscale upgrades. Our market includes many relocating executives with families who are on temporary assignments of 1-2 years.

Normglo, is MoorestownResident correct? "Rents are always negotiable BTW, the landlord could be covering the mortgage and getting some rental income on top."

Say if an executive called you up and said "I'll take it but only if you throw in the utilities" or "I'll take it but I am not paying $4,000/mo - how about $3,500?", what would you tell him? Do people who rent homes that expensive actually care about $500 more or $500 less a month?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM

89 posts, read 243,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
Was this listing rented out quickly? In your area there may be many executives but in the areas I saw, not that many.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM

89 posts, read 243,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
We're renting for 2,500 a month- plan to relocate in a year. We sold our townhouse, since we thought prices would go down drastically over the next year - will buy again when we relocate. Since we closed (in October) prices in our development have gone down enough that we've paid for our rental for the year.

I was shocked at how bad most of the rentals we saw were - most of them at our price point (and up to $3,000) were in horrible shape. When we found the house we're in now, we grabbed it - totally remodeled - new kitchen & baths - fresh paint, etc.

Anyway, for us renting for the year was a good move I think.
Which town is this hapening in?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 22,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemask View Post
Was this listing rented out quickly? In your area there may be many executives but in the areas I saw, not that many.
As far as I can tell, it's still available (not that I can afford it or anything). If you go to the Central NJ Craigslist and type in "Princeton" in the search box and pick "6 bedrooms" it will be the only listing that pops up.

The interesting thing is, there is also a 2 bedroom house listed for $4500 in Princeton. I can only imagine how astonishing it must be if it is listed for $500 more a month with 4 bedrooms fewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey