Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

Haven't spent time there in quite a while, have heard stories that run the gamut from 'gang central' to 'resurgent artsy town'.

Would welcome any recent observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:53 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,876 times
dont let anyone fool you by telling you that Asbury Park isnt dangerous. But its not a place that I wouldnt feel comfortable in which is probably because of the many bars that are always open so there are always people around there. Especially in the summer. Asbury Park has tons of potential the only thing is that its reputation holds it back. No body is willing to start a buisness there because they are afraid of going bankrupt. But there are pioneers that are doing it and actually getting some buisness. After the summer though all the stores close down because the only buisness they get is from tourists who use the beach in the summer. I would give Asbury Park another 3 or 4 years. IT will probably be back on its feet. Not completley though.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
I would give Asbury Park another 3 or 4 years. IT will probably be back on its feet. Not completley though.

It continues to amaze me how long a comeback is taking, it is after all the same ocean as the neighboring towns are on and they seem quite healthy.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,918 times
Asbury Park is rebuilding as you read this. I am restoring a home in Ocean Grove and check out Asbury Park at least once a month.
I will never be what it used to be when some of us were kids. No more amusments or boardwal attractions. But lots of Condos are being built right now.
Restaurants are opening up weekly and not your typical hole in the wall places. One of the best restaurants is Moonstruck, right on the lake that seperates Asbury from Ocean Grove.

It may take a few more years to really come back to life but it will.

Just like any city there are bad areas and always will be, you just have to stay clear of those.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:34 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,411 times
I won't even drive thru the town --- at least not the heart of it. Still lots of murders there, etc., just like Long Branch.

Asbury Park and Long Branch, NJ, are the two reasons why Monmouth County has as high a crime rate as it does.

Also --- the Asbury Park Press regularly reports on the prominance of drug-related gangs who are rooted in these two towns.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,918 times
I guess it must have been a mirage last week when I drove along the boardwalk street past the Stone Pony and saw all the old run down buildings torn down and street after street of new high rise condos.
If you haven't been to Asbury park lately than you really don't know what you are talking about.
I'm not saying it's Rumson or Deal but it is coming back.

BTW Asbury Park was always know as the summer home for the New York Jewish community, the Italians owned Long Branch.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:56 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
If you search on the internet you can find information about Asbury Park and what's been happening the last ten years or so . They started working on it years ago and then the developer stopped putting up the money. It sat for awhile and his contract ended, so they found new investors and started to work on it again. Obviously there's more to it but I believe that's it in a nutshell.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,876 times
The problem and the reason its taking so long is that what they are doing is constructing tons of condos and they are not actually fixing up old homes in the inner communities. Its just going to be a segregated town if they do that.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 16,628 times
Smile Don't Be Scared...

If you are scared of Asbury Park and don't want to get shot, then don't buy your drugs here. Otherwise this is a great town. What you've heard is true, this is an artsy community with a diverse culture.
To help this city regain its splendor, we need to forget the prejudices' of the past and enjoy, today, what it has to offer.
Try stopping by Cookman ave. instead of doing a drive-by of the boardwalk. Get out of your car and you will find successful high end retail stores, galleries, antiques and casual, fun and fine dining. You will also find high end martini bars and casual local bars. We have First Night and community events- film festivals, guitar offs, jazz festivals, BBQ competitions, etc. We have Rock and roll and Theater life. Boardwalk and Beach.
Have fun!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmighty View Post
If you are scared of Asbury Park and don't want to get shot, then don't buy your drugs here. Otherwise this is a great town. What you've heard is true, this is an artsy community with a diverse culture.
To help this city regain its splendor, we need to forget the prejudices' of the past and enjoy, today, what it has to offer.
Try stopping by Cookman ave. instead of doing a drive-by of the boardwalk. Get out of your car and you will find successful high end retail stores, galleries, antiques and casual, fun and fine dining. You will also find high end martini bars and casual local bars. We have First Night and community events- film festivals, guitar offs, jazz festivals, BBQ competitions, etc. We have Rock and roll and Theater life. Boardwalk and Beach.
Have fun!

I absolutely intend to check it out before I make a firm decision about where to move to.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey