Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

49 posts, read 196,918 times

Advertisements

Hey Happy New Jerseyites,
Sending this shout out to you all from DFW land. Its about 73 and sunny and beautiful in Keller,Tx today. Couldn't help but notice that Monmouth County, my former homesite is having lousy weather. Very cold this week and today snow flurries. I remember when I lived in Eatontown and it was about this time of year I would start to get spring fever. In other words I would start to want to be able to go outside and enjoy the outdoors. The only problem was I had about 3 or 4 months to wait until nice weather in June. That was the main problem with Jersey. You always seemed to be waiting for nice weather to arrive. Most of the time it never showed up. Even in the summer it rained most of the time. Well thats my personal summary of the weather comparison between Jersey and Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Miserable weather - for those like me, we want warm weather...for those like my husband, the 1" of snow we got was not enough. lol I'm sure Texas is lovely, but we would not want to give up winter altogether.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:19 PM

49 posts, read 196,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Miserable weather - for those like me, we want warm weather...for those like my husband, the 1" of snow we got was not enough. lol I'm sure Texas is lovely, but we would not want to give up winter altogether.
Hey Christina,
Took a look at your personal profile and say that your profession is in the social work field. Its something that I always regretted that I hadn't gone into. Unfortunately, I started college in the 70's but dropped out without even getting any credits. But I'm very well read on Pschology and the like. Is there any kind of test that I could take to rate like what I know about Social Work just from personal reading and life experiences? Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyway. How are you enjoying your profession? Pleasantly jealous of a college grad. Oh well.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM

37 posts, read 149,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Texan View Post
Hey Christina,
Took a look at your personal profile and say that your profession is in the social work field. Its something that I always regretted that I hadn't gone into. Unfortunately, I started college in the 70's but dropped out without even getting any credits. But I'm very well read on Pschology and the like. Is there any kind of test that I could take to rate like what I know about Social Work just from personal reading and life experiences? Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyway. How are you enjoying your profession? Pleasantly jealous of a college grad. Oh well.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's never too late for college! I started at 40 years old. It took me 8 years to plow my way through to a master's degree (sports medicine) and a teaching credential (adapted physical education--P.E. for kids with disabilities in the public schools). I was raising kids and working full-time. If you have a love of something, don't let it get away from you. Even if you don't get finished with your education until you're 85 years old, who cares? You're going to be 85 anyway. You can start with one one or two evening courses online or at a community college. And us seniors usually get a far reduced rate. Our community colleges in California only charge $26 a unit, and far less if you can't afford that. Plus, going to school is fun. You meet great people and you'll probably find that you will be the star of the class.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming: we have great weather out here on the coastside, too. My daughter (Scotch Plains) called me three times to say: "I hate driving in the snow." Then an hour later "It's so refreshing to shovel snow in the morning--I really enjoy it!" (She does allow that that might change after a few years), and then somewhat later (after she had recovered from driving her husband into Short Hills on 78) "I'm in Westfield shopping right now and the snowflakes are so beautiful and perfect."

Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 PM

136 posts, read 751,740 times
I LOVE this weather! As a weather buff I LIVE for snow events like that. Down in Ocean County we had about 2.5". But it was GREAT. WARM next week though! Then get ready for another cool down!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
ditto the above, never too late to go back to school. I'm actually a fake social worker...I do social work but I have a B.A. in psychology. It is very difficult to get a decent paying job in social work, having a B.A. in psychology. I didn't know I liked social work until the end of my senior year of college. Now I don't want to go back, because I love my job and it would take 5 years to get my masters. I know I should, but I don't want to. With an M.S.W. (masters in social work) there are a lot of career options and the salary is fair. Not great, but fair. I know there are tests that tell you if you are more likely to enjoy certain careers, but I couldn't tell you the names of them. A career counselor could. You could always start with just taking 1 or 2 classes to see if you like it. You could also try volunteering for a non-profit that helps people, and see if you like that. I have worked with children w/ behavioral disorders, adults w/ mental illnesses, adult disabled, and senior citizens. I have loved every aspect of each job; each was challenging and rewarding in its own way. The only downsides are: there is a LOT of paperwork, and you have to have good personal boundaries: you have to accept that you cannot save every person who needs saving, and you have to work at not getting attached to really wonderful people. IMO it's a great field. If I can make even 1 person's life a little easier every day, it means the world to me.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Christina, you sound like the most "genuine" kind of social worker! I've been one for almost 30 years and have found that all the degrees, accreditations and licenures don't necessarily make for an effective social worker. Unfortunately, the degree dictates the salary cap. So some of the best, never realise the salary they deserve and some of the more degreed make way more than they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey