Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,452 times

Advertisements

My child is starting school soon and we can afford in the 600k-700k range, maybe 750k with some serious deprivation.

wow, 150k+ and you're worried that your kids will be thought the "poor folk". geez how times have changed.

i surely wouldn't buy a house that caused serious deprivation because then you are just reinforcing the idea of material things being so important you'd do anything to have them.

i think that if you give your kids a strong foundation of self-confidence and tell them that NO ONE is better than them, and you teach them the value of things, then you may just be able to come thru it without having to spend too much on "name brands" and such. and if all else fails, there are lots of knock offs of all those designer things around!
good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulone View Post
I guess I have not included Mountain Lakes because of the affluence. I think it is a beautiful area.
I would reconsider. If you are thinking of Chatham and Madison then ML should be on the list! Schools are the best in Morris county and housing prices have come down a lot in the last year. So you won't be making the most money in town...who cares as long as you can afford your mortage and food.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
You've got to listen to your gut instincts--if you're getting a bad vibe from any town, stay away. Spend the day in the town center, visit the nursery schools, do whatever you can to get a good feel for the town.

We once moved to a town in MA that was incomparably beautiful. We couldn't believe we were that lucky. But the day we were driving around looking at houses I was worried after seeing too many little kids (my kids' ages) dressed up in old fashioned frocks with bows in their hair to play. Something didn't seem right. I wish I had grabbed onto that clue and started our search in a more suitable town, because five miserable years later we finally moved somewhere much better suited to our needs and personality.

Life is short. Listen to your gut.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
You've got to listen to your gut instincts--if you're getting a bad vibe from any town, stay away. Spend the day in the town center, visit the nursery schools, do whatever you can to get a good feel for the town.

We once moved to a town in MA that was incomparably beautiful. We couldn't believe we were that lucky. But the day we were driving around looking at houses I was worried after seeing too many little kids (my kids' ages) dressed up in old fashioned frocks with bows in their hair to play. Something didn't seem right. I wish I had grabbed onto that clue and started our search in a more suitable town, because five miserable years later we finally moved somewhere much better suited to our needs and personality.

Life is short. Listen to your gut.
I'm not sure what that means? Was the town too conservative? too snobby? too uptight? Was it that sect where all those women and kids were removed from in Texas? LOL I don't know what "old fashion frocks with bows" translates to! LOL!!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not sure what that means? Was the town too conservative? too snobby? too uptight? Was it that sect where all those women and kids were removed from in Texas? LOL I don't know what "old fashion frocks with bows" translates to! LOL!!
I was wondering that myself...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We lived in Maplewood for a few years. After three and a half years, we were never asked what we did for a living and did not for the most part know what are neighbors did either. We were a very tight knit community having almost weekly get togethers, block parties, holiday bashes. It was never an issue and the topic never came up. Sometimes the moms would get together and hit some thrift stores for some good bargains. I guess it really depends on where you are.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Wish I could "only" make 150K to 175K. LOL.

Echoing above "frocks and bows" huh!? It was Amish? Moonies? Scientologists?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
You guys are making me laugh about my spooky old fashioned frocks and hair bows--I never entertained the notion of a cult or religious sect, but it totally fits!

No, these poor kids wore these old fashioned garments because their desperate-to-impress wannabe parents imagined that old money dressed that way.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
You guys are making me laugh about my spooky old fashioned frocks and hair bows--I never entertained the notion of a cult or religious sect, but it totally fits!

No, these poor kids wore these old fashioned garments because their desperate-to-impress wannabe parents imagined that old money dressed that way.
Ah! Obviously we are NOT old money!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks for your kind words. No I don't think its hard on the kids. Look 150-175K is a hell of alot more money than people make in Madison. Did you realize that people rent and there are apartments in Madison. Did you know alot of people rent and don't own a home. Did you also notice on the MLS alot of the top priced mansion are empty! Yes we notice but kids dont notice this crap. Look as long as their teeth are not rotten and dont stink I dont think kids could give a rats butt about money and what daddy does. I find actually poor people more damn materialist than the rich ones. Stop being so insecure. Look smile, bake a cake, shovel your neighbors walkway. Stop worrying and start living. Your not a loser. You will fit in just fine!!! Kids as long as there parents dont screw them up too bad will be fine.

So true!!

And a town will be what you make of it also. You can choose to feel pressured and be miserable, or you can just....live

My own kids were becoming snotty little brats. We got them the latest gadgets, clothing, shoes, etc. You know, all the stuff their friends have.
Their behavior was becoming atrocious. Well, I took EVERYTHING away (down to hair spray) and made them see that life isn't about that. It really got bad and this really opened their eyes.

At the end of the day, it's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey