Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 59,225 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Would love some info on Glen Ridge regarding commute to NYC, schools, best neighborhoods to buy in and any other helpful information.
Thanks,
Nottingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 35,339 times
I grew up in Bloomfield, which borders Glen Ridge and can tell you Glen Ridge is a very nice, upscale, well to do town. Many large, expensive homes in a small, gas light lit, small area. Probably any neighborhood would be fine.

You can probably catch a bus to NYC from Bloomfield Ave, or Broad St. In Bloomfield depending on which is closer. Also there's a train station nearby in Montclair.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Glen Ridge is a tiny tiny municipality, so it's easy to walk to transit stops in Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, or Montclair.

DeCamp offers a commuter bus service to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Their 33 Route has several variations that could meet your needs. They operate on Bloomfield Ave, Broad Street in Bloomfield, and Grove Street in Montclair, all of which are in easy walking distance from anywhere in Glen Ridge. The one-way fare is $5.95, but I believe they have monthly tickets at discount price. The trip time from Montclair is usually about 35-40 minutes, which is better than driving b/c of the Express Bus Lane on the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel. www.decamp.com

There are also commuter train services to Hoboken and to New York Penn Station on the Montclair-Boonton NJ TRANSIT Line. There is a Glen Ridge station on the Line, but depending on where in Glen Ridge you live, one of the stations in Montclair might be closer. One-way fare is $5.00 from Montclair and again, there are discounted monthly and weekly tickets. Trip time to Penn Station is about 45 minutes. www.njtransit.com

Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM

46 posts, read 409,424 times
I live in Glen Ridge and I love it here. Glen Ridge is divided by Bloomfield Avenue and you either live on the North End or the South End. This will determine your childrens school Pre-K through 2nd grade. Forest on the North and Linden Ave on the South. After that all children go into Ridgewood at 3rd Grade and later they all attend Glen Ridge High School. All the schools are very good and the High School often makes the "top ten nj high schools" in NJ monthly magazine.
We love it here and I would be happy to give you any info you need. Feel free to send me message with any questions you have.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Default Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottingham View Post
Hi,
Would love some info on Glen Ridge regarding commute to NYC, schools, best neighborhoods to buy in and any other helpful information.
Thanks,
Nottingham
i'm no help, but if $$$$ was no object, the taxes there didn't put me into convulsions , and my kids weren't entrenched in their current school, i'd move to glen ridge in a heartbeat. i lived a 1/2 block from the glen ridge country club (but in montclair) and LOVE LOVE LOVED it.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM

46 posts, read 409,424 times
I forgot to mention that the town operates a free jitney to the train. The schedule can be obtained on the town website which is www.glenridgenj.org. There is also a photo tour you can take and a link to the school website. As I said before we have been VERY happy here and our children love it. There are a lot of family activities to get involved in and I have found people here to be very friendly and welcoming. You'll find that Glen Ridge is full of all types... invesment bankers, artists, television executives, writers, actors, pharma researchers, stay at home moms and big wig working moms... It's a really great town with a lot to offer. Great town services too.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 25,211 times
I agree with what has been said above, but wanted to add that the Bloomfield train station is convenient for much of the south end of Glen Ridge. It is a 5 minute walk for us, which makes for a better commute than we had in Brooklyn. Most trains are about 30 minutes into Penn Station, the Decamp buses are also about 30 minutes. The schools are very well regarded and have a lot of community support. The town is very nice too -- wonderful library, etc.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM

23 posts, read 61,083 times
Since you are living in Glen Ridge, could you tell me how to commute from in and around Glen Ridge to Court Square, Queens on a daily morning and return evening basis.

Also, I am considering Glen Ridge Middle / High for my daughter who will be going into grade8. We are moving from the UK. How does the admission process work and are there any specifically nice neighbourhoods to help us settle in. We are looking to rent to start off, and then buy later. What do you suggest.

How far are the shops and other basic amenities from the town.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Not at all familiar with the commuting options but good grief, Queens is about as far as you can get in NYC from NJ - why are you not considering Long Island for a home base?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 AM

23 posts, read 61,083 times
I am not still sure. I have not yet found a good website like njmonthly to give me the info on LI / NYC, so still fishing around. I am open to living closer to Queens, provided the area is good with good schooling and facilities, and without property prices in millions. If you can suggest some districts / websites, it will be a great help. I am looking at High Schools, as our children will be in last year of middle school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey