Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 21,666 times

Advertisements

We want out of NY city and have always dreamed of living by the beach.

I am keeping my job in NY and most of our friends still live there - so we have to be fairly close to the city (1.5hr commute max). Walking distance to a train station would be great - since our city friends don't own cars and we hate the idea of the morning drive in traffic!

We don't want a beachfront condo apartment - too many visions of my aunt's place in Miami - think Del Boca Vista. Preferably townhouse or small single-family home. I want ocean views, a short walk to the beach and pay less than 800K.

A relatively quiet area that is a walkable distance to a town center with restaurants and coffee places, etc. would be great.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Just a question-What is it with NY and the Jersey shore? What about the NY shore,Long Island etc?

Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 43,766 times
Monmouth Beach, Sea Bright, Deal, Long Branch...I just moved to Atlantic Highlands, no ocean views, but 10 min to Sandy Hook, and views of the Raritan Bay. Other nice areas that are 10 min from the water and offer a relatively short commute to NYC (via ferry or train), are Navesink, Rumson, Red Bank, Fair Haven

Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 163,626 times
Don' forget Belford, the new Ferry service is said to be great. 45 min to the city. And with Belford you are still close to Sandy Hook, Red Bank and of course the terrific middletown area.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Long Island is always a choice but if you are looking at the shore, depending on your price range, you have a lot of choices:

Point Pleasant
Mantalooking (sp?)
Seaside Park/Heights

And Many more. Seaside is a little rough in parts but again, it all depends on your price range.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
You are going to have to make some compromises. 1.5 hrs on the train from Penn Station is only Long Branch. You may find what you want there. Really though $800k is not a very big budget for close to the beach houses in a town on the Coast Line (train). Condos sure, but not houses. Also, many of the train stations are not that close to the beach.

If you are willing to accept a longer commute and no train then look at towns in northern ocean county.

If you are willing to fore go "ocean view" and accept "reasonable walk to beach" and a slightly longer commute, Bradley Beach is nice, has a train and a lovely downtown area. Belmar might also work.

If you are willing to expand your budget then somewhere like Allenhurst would be perfect. But expensive.

Sea Bright has ocean views, a nice little downtown and houses in your price range but it is a 10-15 minute drive to the train in Little Silver or Long Branch. Also, I am not sure how safe I would feel living there since it is a peninsula with very few ways to get back over the river. If the area ever had a big time hurricane Sea Bright would be toast.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Wow, I do not know how I missed the price range. At $800K I would say a townhouse or Condo right near the beach is possible. A home right near the beach is going to be tough and probably going to need a lot of work. If you are willing to go a bit of a distance from the beach, say a few miles, then you have more of a shot.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,666 times
Thanks for the really informative reply, Petey. I agree that I'll probably have to compromise somewhat, but I just wanted to see if there was a place where I could get most of the things I was looking for.

Like you mentioned, Long Branch does seem worthy of checking out. I could go a little higher in price (850-875K) but I don't want a condo apartment - a townhouse with ocean views would be great though. Possible?

What is Long Branch like?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM

I worked on a project in Seaside Heights with condos one block from the ocean. They are around $600K or so and three bedrooms and are townhouse style.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
Seaside Heights is pretty far south for a commute and it's not within walking distance of a train station. Pt. Pleasant has a train station and is a really quaint town but I don't know about the affordability or how long the commute would be.

I live in Toms River. I own waterfront property (lagoon which leads to barnegat bay and I am a 5 minute walk to a bay beach and 8 minute drive to the ocean.) I commute to Elizabeth every day and it takes me approx. 1 1/4 hour drive to reach the Goethals bridge. There is defintely waterfront property here in your price range but the commute is long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey