Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 AM

226 posts, read 858,878 times

Advertisements

We have them here in Hunterdon county, I have them in the field next to my house and occationally hear them howling or see them while I'm walking my dogs. The farmer told me recently one sat and curiosly watched him cut some brush back for hours.
Last year two kids were attacked by them (I think somewhere north of here, maybe Morris???) and apperently the neighbours had to beat one of them to get the kids head out of it's mouth as it was trying to drag him away, (not hearsay, it was on the news). Just after that I read a report that said scientist believe the northeast coyotes maybe a mix of wolf and coyote and if anyone shoots one Rutgers wants it's head to do research. They said, the northeast coyotes are much larger (could be due to weather conditions), have a different shape/size skull than their southwestern relatives, and also hunt in packs which is not typical of coyotes, but it is of wolves. Interesting eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default coyotes

I've yet to see a live one in NJ but I know they are around. Guys running beagles at 6-Mile Run in Franklin tell me they have seen coyotes.

NJ has a coyote hunting season. Haven't seen any coyote stats yet but each coyote taken has to be reported to the state.

One mangy yote got smacked by a car near the junction of rt28 and rt 22 in Somerville a few years back. About 3 years ago a guy posted a photo of a yote near Milltown rd in Bridgewater.

Coyotes are real opportunists and will attack and eat cats and dogs, foxes, berries, donuts, birds, groundhogs, etc, etc.
Availability of road kill deer and gutted deer during the hunting season probably keep the damage down.

In San Diego and elsewhere a couple of infants have fallen prey to coyotes.

States like Maine have a 24/7 coyote season because of the damage they do to the deer herd and general havoc eating pets and livestock. These yotes are about the smartest critters in existence.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
I left New Jersey in 1970, and I've gotta be honest, I didn't know Jersey had coyotes. Has this only happened the past few decades or were they around all the while?
Yes, in the last few decades.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM

174 posts, read 431,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, in the last few decades.
That's what I thought. I would be fascinated to find out why this happened given that coyotes have been around so long. We have them everywhere out here in California.

National Geopgraphic TV and TLC has many excellent shows on all things scientific as it relates to wildlife. This would make a great subject IMO.

BTW, was in Jersey to visit grandkids last year in Hackettstown. While returning from a skateboard park in Sparta, I was startled to see a bear in someone's backyard in broad daylight. Being a city boy, this blew me away! My son and daughter-in-law treated it like business as usual.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I swear after now seeing that picture, I approached a coyote in Harriman. I thought it was a feral dog!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
I live in Stockholm, NJ & we just saw one in the woods about 100 feet from my house. That is the 1st coyote I have seen here.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
I had heard reports of coyote sightings in Northvale and Closter here in Bergen County...saw one for myself on Wednesday night on the border of River Vale and Westwood. Smaller than I thought they would be. Never thought I would see a coyote in Bergen County.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
It may have begun through some gradual migration. Peccaries have been spotted in the parts of the Oregon wilds but are native to Arizona/Southwestern territory. It is believed that they've migrated on their own.

When I grew up in Central California coyotes were a farmer's nightmare. They kill any animal that they can (yet California made it illegal to kill them). If you know of a stray coyote in your area, be mindful of pets that you keep outdoors.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 AM

60 posts, read 289,695 times
Yes they are - I literally had one coming running out and bump into my leg. It was late - I swear we both almost fell over from shock which probably worked to my advantage.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,484 times
I found this blog about coyotes in Bergen County today as I Googled “Coyotes in Tenafly Englewood New Jersey”. I saw two coyotes in my backyard today October 14, 2009 around 7am. I know the local dog that ventures to my backyard every once in awhile and this didn’t resemble a dog I have seen. They had grey shabby fur, long snouts and with shaggy tails pointed towards the ground as they scurried through my yard into the brush. They are smaller than I imagned they'd be after hearing stories about their presence in Bergen County. Also, i was shocked to see two as I thought they were solitary creatures that travled by themselves? Anyway, I open the door to scare them off and they traveled back towards me to take refuge in the tall bushes behind my house. I decided to head back inside. Moments later I saw them come back through the yard towards the street (Lewelen Circle Englewood, NJ). It appeared as though they were looking for something and they kept a pretty interested demeanor outside and this scared me a bit as I have two young children. Have there been any recent incidents of coyote sightings in Tenafly, Englewood or Bergen County? If so, are they aggressive? Do they attack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey