Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times

Advertisements

Hackensack for the most part is an ok city. I live right on the border practically. But recently i'm hearing a lot of bad news spewing out of the city. I heard 1/13/09 that a fight went on after school (hackensack high school) and a teenager was stabbed 3 or 5 times. They say it was gang related. (this also happened in 2007 but the kid was murdered) And remember this is a city in BERGEN COUNTY.

I'm also hearing some students there who say they have an open campus where they can go freely out to lunch anywhere and a lot of the student's dont dare to got near First and Central because of the drugs being sold, and some kids steal electronics off eachother.

I mean i thought Hackensack was a nice town, but i guess there is an area going downhill.
Nothing comparable to NWK or anything but it seems like a little Paterson.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-15-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM

345 posts, read 643,095 times
I'll keep my post vague, since I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't think one incident is an immediate indicator that a town is 'going downhill.' Having said that though, some areas of Hackensack aren't the best - this is nothing new. As well, the high school has a reputation as being one of the rougher ones.

However, keep in mind that all of this is within the context of Bergen County. The few less-than-savory areas are those that are near Patterson (Garfield, Elmwood Park) and parts of Hackensack, Englewood, and perhaps very few others. These areas are nothing compared to Newark, Camden, etc.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
So you heard, not actually witnessed first hand, but heard of a few problems and you're ready to write the city off? Interesting

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
hackensack high school is located in central hackensack, which is arguably the worst part of town. not surprisingly, incidents do happen now and then. but there are only a couple of spots in the entire city where crime occurs at all - and when it does, it almost never spills over to the nicer areas.

the worse parts of town are sketchy by bergen county standards, but far from terrible when you consider how bad nj's worst slums can be (irvington, springfield ave in newark, camden, etc). don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to downplay the incidents you've referred to. but you have to look at the big picture here and realize that although the city can be hit-or-miss, it's pretty respectable overall. it's a mixed race, mixed income city with mostly working class, middle class, and upper middle class neighborhoods plus a couple of small pockets at either extreme.

in other words, it's all about context. you can't just declare that the entire town is going downhill based on a handful of incidents in a part of town that's never been great.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,038 times
Hackensack HS has been known for unsafe issues since I was in High School 12 years ago. My HS provided us with extra people to tavel with us to the sports events we played there. The rode the bus with us and sat on the side lines and came with us to the ladies room too.
I would never send my kids to that school.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
Hackensack HS has been known for unsafe issues since I was in High School 12 years ago. My HS provided us with extra people to tavel with us to the sports events we played there. The rode the bus with us and sat on the side lines and came with us to the ladies room too.
I would never send my kids to that school.
wow that is ridiculous... what kind of snobby HS did u go to?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
but it seems like a little Paterson.
Parts of Hackensack are the roughest you are going to get in Bergen Co (that's not saying much).
But a little Paterson? I think not.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
wow that is ridiculous... what kind of snobby HS did u go to?
Agreed............. Hackensack is no where even remotely that bad. You must be from Northern Bergen Co, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey