Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Bizarre to say the least..does the judge find everybody not guilty who pleads because the results are handwritten

The Breathalyzer does not give out a printed reading of its test results, rather, the officer writes down the machine’s reading. Judge Himelman pointed that out as another reason he had reasonable doubt when he found Capt. Sullivan not guilty.

Kind of blows that assumed notion everyone has of the cops protecting their own because it looks like they could of parked his car, dumped him in the squad car & driven him home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Bizarre to say the least..does the judge find everybody not guilty who pleads because the results are handwritten

The Breathalyzer does not give out a printed reading of its test results, rather, the officer writes down the machine’s reading. Judge Himelman pointed that out as another reason he had reasonable doubt when he found Capt. Sullivan not guilty.

Kind of blows that assumed notion everyone has of the cops protecting their own because it looks like they could of parked his car, dumped him in the squad car & driven him home

I was wondering that, is it standard to throw out those results and if so why even bother doing test considering it wouldn't count?

And no I am not a cop hater. I have great respect for the men and women who are brave enough to keep us safe.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no conviction of the charges. is this another cop hater thread.
FYI lots of felons post on CDF.
with all due respect huckle:

1) the OP *IS* a cop, so there goes your "cop hater" thought.
2) being from southern ca, you are completely unaware of the salary range, bennies and pensions for our men in blue. JM's assessment of why the state is in trouble because of this payout is SPOT on.

I don't understand why you feel the need to jump to conclusions about something you know nothing about in a state 3000 miles away?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Thanks for the " backup" Tahiti. I have no problem with him retiring at a substantially reduced pension and no 500K. But he was smart and went to a judge who read the facts and one little piece of reasonable doubt and it gets tossed. Inside rumor has it that this was he SOP every night. Why should someone get 500K if the arresting officer has probable cause to make an arrest. The officers road Sgt. also said there was PC to make the arrest. This society is sue happy and as NJ Kate said it makes us all look bad.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM

323 posts, read 575,399 times
i didnt read the story ,if anyone here thinks that police officers are held to the same standards as non police officers ,they are dreaming

unfortunately ,it will take something tragic (loss of life) ,to get this guy off the road

Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
they found him not guilty because they claim the officer who arrested him was way too happy to be a witness. During his DWI escapade, he was pulled over a Manasquan cop and let go by flashing his badge. An officer in his own department caught him a few miles later. Not for nothing, but if he got pulled over twice in a 15 minute span after leaving the bar, I have no doubt he was drunk.
Exactly! I am sure he was drunk! Believe me...there are many of them who go out and drink and drive and flash the badge....*some, not all* but you would be amazed at how many get off when they are out drinking. I frequented many parties w/ my ex who is a trooper and wow, can some of them drink and unfortunately get in a car and drive. Hypocrites!(some of them)!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
His continued actions may cause a tragedy somewhere down the road and he'll probably get sued for that $500K and then some. He'll learn his lesson, but unfortuantely at the expense of someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey