Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 79,456 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for a good licensed deck contractor in Middlesex county.

I am right before closing to purchase our first home and our inspector found a critical structural problem of rear multi story deck. According to the conversation with our inspector, replacement was recommended. However, the seller did the repair already, even after our realtor asked them to discuss with us before doing anything about it. We requested documents like repair report and cost, in order for us to guess the repair quality but we have not received anything yet. We asked for permission to inspect the deck and get a cost estimate, if necessary, and it has been granted.

It is very important for us to find good licensed deck contractor because this is related to safety of our lives! Please recommend someone who can do both professional deck inspection and cost estimate.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:45 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cititravel View Post
Hi, I am looking for a good licensed deck contractor in Middlesex county.

I am right before closing to purchase our first home and our inspector found a critical structural problem of rear multi story deck. According to the conversation with our inspector, replacement was recommended. However, the seller did the repair already, even after our realtor asked them to discuss with us before doing anything about it. We requested documents like repair report and cost, in order for us to guess the repair quality but we have not received anything yet. We asked for permission to inspect the deck and get a cost estimate, if necessary, and it has been granted.

It is very important for us to find good licensed deck contractor because this is related to safety of our lives! Please recommend someone who can do both professional deck inspection and cost estimate.

Thanks in advance.
Decks require building permits and township inspections. Did the seller obtain both the permits and inspections ? If so, the deck should have originally been build to code with no repairs required. My point is that many "inspectors" seem to raise issues basically because they are unsure and simply wish to cover their ass !!!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM

FlyersFan, Thanks for replying.

This is old house and the wooden deck is original that came with the house. The seller also did not provide anything to prove that it is safe. Are you saying that the permits and inspections are done regularly? If you are talking about original permits and inspection, they do not count because this house is very old... This town does not even have town inspector, according to my attorney...

The wood deck was tested by two professionals: Our inspector and someone who has good knowledge of building structure and material. I do not have a single doubt to my inspector. He was the best. He was extreamly professional and knowlegeable. He was so professional that my realtor left for his appointment with his wife, in the middle of the inspection, but he stayed until everything was done right. I even plan to recommend him to this forum, after my house hunting finally ends.

Let me get back to my subject. Is there anyone who knows good licensed deck professional? I am searching through several sources but it would be great if I can hear from someone at this forum.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Deck Medic..it's a franchise but they do good work!

[SIZE=3]Deck Medic NJ deck sealing deck restoration deck repair deck ...[/SIZE]

Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Bear in mind when selecting a contractor, that being "licensed" in NJ means that you bought an insurance policy and paid $90 to the state- poof, you're "licensed". There are no experience and/or education/testing requirements, so the level of quality, even amomg "licensed" contractors varies greatly. If the problem is as major as you make it sound, you may want to have the deck inspected by a professional engineer (where licensing actually means something), who can evaluate any problems, recommend a fix, and possibly even estimate the cost to make the repairs.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 AM

wileynj, Thanks for your suggestion. They sound good.

Bob, I appreciate your explanation very much. That was exactly what I was wondering about yet no one knew to explain to me. This is very helpful information for me. Do you know any professional engineer? Is there any specific category of professional engineer that I have to look for? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Ray Nolan and Frank Rubino are bothe PE's and used to teach engineering at Middlesex County College.

Nolan & Rubino Engineering
351 N 4TH AVE
Highland Park NJ
732-249-9188

Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Bob, you just saved my day! I had such a short time frame left to do this because everything, except closing, has been completed and the sellers are waiting because my realtor preferred to have everything done before this matter is resolved. I will definitely contact them. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cititravel View Post
FlyersFan, Thanks for replying.

This is old house and the wooden deck is original that came with the house. The seller also did not provide anything to prove that it is safe. Are you saying that the permits and inspections are done regularly? If you are talking about original permits and inspection, they do not count because this house is very old... This town does not even have town inspector, according to my attorney...

The wood deck was tested by two professionals: Our inspector and someone who has good knowledge of building structure and material. I do not have a single doubt to my inspector. He was the best. He was extreamly professional and knowlegeable. He was so professional that my realtor left for his appointment with his wife, in the middle of the inspection, but he stayed until everything was done right. I even plan to recommend him to this forum, after my house hunting finally ends.

Let me get back to my subject. Is there anyone who knows good licensed deck professional? I am searching through several sources but it would be great if I can hear from someone at this forum.
Sorry....I was under the impression this was a newer home and the deck was installed at or near the time of construction.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 PM

No problem! I still appreciate your comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey