Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 46,735 times

Advertisements

I live in Maine now but I was born in Brooklyn and raised in South Jersey. I'll be honest, if it weren't for the distance and the winter weather, I'd be happy to stay up here in New England. I've posted here before wondering about towns like Phillipsburg, Trenton, Easton PA, down the shore side and so forth. Obviously, I'm still trying to figure out where to "land" so I thought I would try a different approach to help me commit.

I would like to live in a town. One that looks like a town, not some spread out sprawly one like in South West NJ. Under 50,000 people. I would like to be close to mass transit. I would like to live where there is a night life of some sort. Nothing crazy, resteraunts, pubs, maybe a museum or 2, nice shops. A park where I can take the dog. Farmer's markets are good. I don't have any kids so the school district isn't so important to me but who knows - maybe one day that will change. Diverse population would be a nice change. Price is an issue - I might be able to go as high as 160K if I the house I own now were to sell. I would like to be no more than 2 hours from the town I grew up in which is Tuckerton. I might be able to take my job with me but as a plan B, it would be important for other employment to be close by as well - I'm a Director of Ops for a small computer reseller.

As I poke around different newspapers and websites, I'm starting to look towards, DE and PA. What about Philly? Is there anywhere in NJ like I described?

Please don't tell me not to move from Maine. I think it is really going to happen and all I can do is be thankful for my fortress of solitude and the time we have shared. I really need to get back to family and friends and out of my safety bubble. If you've got any ideas on a place as I described - keeping in mind my price cap - please share!
thanks for the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinz420 View Post
I live in Maine now but I was born in Brooklyn and raised in South Jersey. I'll be honest, if it weren't for the distance and the winter weather, I'd be happy to stay up here in New England. I've posted here before wondering about towns like Phillipsburg, Trenton, Easton PA, down the shore side and so forth. Obviously, I'm still trying to figure out where to "land" so I thought I would try a different approach to help me commit.

I would like to live in a town. One that looks like a town, not some spread out sprawly one like in South West NJ. Under 50,000 people. I would like to be close to mass transit. I would like to live where there is a night life of some sort. Nothing crazy, resteraunts, pubs, maybe a museum or 2, nice shops. A park where I can take the dog. Farmer's markets are good. I don't have any kids so the school district isn't so important to me but who knows - maybe one day that will change. Diverse population would be a nice change. Price is an issue - I might be able to go as high as 160K if I the house I own now were to sell. I would like to be no more than 2 hours from the town I grew up in which is Tuckerton. I might be able to take my job with me but as a plan B, it would be important for other employment to be close by as well - I'm a Director of Ops for a small computer reseller.

As I poke around different newspapers and websites, I'm starting to look towards, DE and PA. What about Philly? Is there anywhere in NJ like I described?

Please don't tell me not to move from Maine. I think it is really going to happen and all I can do is be thankful for my fortress of solitude and the time we have shared. I really need to get back to family and friends and out of my safety bubble. If you've got any ideas on a place as I described - keeping in mind my price cap - please share!
thanks for the time.
I just moved to Stewartsville (greenwich Twp. population 5000+).. small historic town outside of Phillipsburg and I absolutely love it! Tons of shopping in town as well as in neighboring Easton, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc... Philly is about 1 hr 30 mins and NYC is just over an hour. Taxes are reasonable...home prices are reasonable.... only downside is - PBurg HS if you have kids. Ranked at the bottom!!! If you don't have HS kids... it's a great place to live!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
For $160k you're asking for alot. Most towns in that price range (and there aren't a whole lot in NJ) are going to be pretty seedy and aren't going to be abundant in museums, nightlife, etc. And anything with mass transit usually increases home prices, as people are able to commute to work.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Check out Red Bank, NJ. But for $160k, wow, you definitely cannot buy a HOUSE. You may be able to buy a 1-bedroom condo...

Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
If I were you, Collingswood is where I'd go. Minutes from Philly....within an hour of Tuckerton, hip, cool, Farmer's Market on Saturdays (I think just in the warmer months...not sure)

Although Collinswood is dry, they have tons of awesome restaurants where you could bring your own. You could go up or down the road and be in another town that has a liquor license very quickly or like I said previously, hop into Philly where you have your choice of clubs.

Collingswood has an adorable downtown. It seems very pet friendly and diverse. I see white people, black people, asian people, gay people, etc.. that look like they co-exist beautifully. Haddon Ave (the main drag) reminds me a lot of Fillmore Street in San Francisco.

I love Collingswood because I can get there from Cherry Hill within minutes.

Now the only problem I see is your budget $160K. That could be tough but maybe you can find something that will need a lot of work (if you're handy) and it could be doable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shanny

Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM

69 posts, read 184,140 times
I moved from coastal Maine to the Jersey shore back in 1997. I miss Maine, but I couldn't live there again. Great place to vacation though (Vacation land). My town is one square mile, walkable to everything, historical, and right on the beach. Ocean Grove. Check it out.
You won't find a house for 160k in my county (Monmouth), but you sure could find a condo (apartment).

The most shocking change for me when I moved from Maine was how many people are packed into the state. The shore is pretty crowded in summer.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
For $160k you're asking for alot. Most towns in that price range (and there aren't a whole lot in NJ) are going to be pretty seedy and aren't going to be abundant in museums, nightlife, etc. And anything with mass transit usually increases home prices, as people are able to commute to work.
You can get a decent house for that price "NEAR" nite life and or attractions. Like this beauty in Alpha Boro...Easton is only 5 mins. away. Plenty to do in Easton.

Select This Property:
Remarks: Charming Ranch Sits on Corner Lot w/Privacy Lovely Backyard w/Beautiful Landscaping Added Feature Detached Garage&Workshop.LENDER HAS APPROVED $148K quick close possible

$ 148,000
MLS# 2462693
County: Warren
Cities/Towns: Alpha Boro
Style: Ranch
FHA 55+: No
Zone/Comp:
Rooms: 6
Bedrooms: 2
Full Baths: 1
Half Baths: 0
Total Baths: 1
Acreage: 0
Living Room Level/Dim: First / 11x8
Dining Room Level/Dim: First / 11x11
Kitchen Level/Dim: First / 12x15
Bedroom 1 Level/Dim: First / 10x12
Bedroom 2 Level/Dim: First / 11x14
Bedroom 3 Level/Dim: /
Bedroom 4 Level/Dim: /
Den Level/Dim: First / 9x8
Sq Ft:
Association fee: $
Garage/Desc 1/ Detached Garage
Heat Source: Gas-Natural

Heat System: 1 Unit
Cool System:
Water: Public Water
Sewer: Public Sewer
Utilities: Gas-Natural
Services: Cable TV Available
Grade School: ALPHA
Middle School: ALPHA
High School: PHILIPSBRG
Tax Amount: $ 4,462
Tax Year: 2007
Tax Rate Year: 2007
Easement/Desc: Unknown /
Farm Assessment: No
Land Assessment: $ 69,900
Building Assessment: $ 91,200
Total Assessment: $ 161,100
Lot Size: 0.14 50X125
Lot Description: Corner, Open Lot
YB/Desc: 9999 / Approximate
Basmnt/Desc: Yes / Full, Unfinished
Family Room Level/Dim: /
Other Room 1 Level/Dim: /
Other Room 2 Level/Dim: /
Other Room 3 Level/Dim: /
Other Room 4 Level/Dim: /
Interior:
Exterior: Workshop
Application Fee: $

Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Wiley luv,
It would take the op wayyyyy over 2 hours to get to his family in Tuckerton.

Luv ya girlie!
Shanny

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Wiley luv,
It would take the op wayyyyy over 2 hours to get to his family in Tuckerton.

Luv ya girlie!
Shanny
I have no idea where tuckerton is..lol : ) By the way... now that we live closer, when are you coming by to see the new "hoose"???? I should have called you when we were down Philly way a few times - great shopping outlet near you!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 AM

63 posts, read 136,671 times
I cant believe Im looking at a house for under 160k! Even in Alpha. Im in central Jersey and 160k wont even get you a foreclosure. It sucks. Prices are so ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey