Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I feel terrible for those who have lost their jobs. HG, how's it going? Have you looked into contract work?
I am working on getting a freelance gig for a start up on the City. Even contract work is not looking good at this point.

5 months out of work, 5 interviews. Bad odds. My network can't even help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Enlighten us.
Probably the two ugliest places I've ever seen, for starters. Also, generations of permanent underclass, though, truthfully, since both places are almost entirely formulated on agricultural economies, those numbers fluctuate seasonally. But I digress. These two places are essentially extensions of Mexico, like much of the lower Rio Grande Valley. For someone who is used to NJ culture, being exposed to an area such as this is a complete flip 180° from every aspect of life you are accustomed to. Work ethic pretty much absent, a very high transient population, litter and graffiti all over the place. You have people who "winter" from the midwest and northeast, spend 4 months here to get away from the cold, then bolt as fast as possible. Towns such as these, in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, are full of people who 'just don't fit in' to normal, functional society. Most of them exist in proximity to the Interstate Highway System, which means they exist in part due to catering to cross country transportation. If you were to formulate the average time of residence (by Anglo residents) in these places versus NJ, you'd see quite a disparity. And it's been my contention (especially since I moved away from NJ) that when you mix people into areas of desolation, the results are often disasterous, if you measure these results by how appealing a neighborhood looks. Many of these people are not in it for the long haul, they are just there for a visit. Military towns in the southwest are guilty of this, El Centro and Yuma especially. When you combine all these factors together, you get high unemployment rates, and horrible man-made environments combined into one steaming pile of dreck.
El Centro:

Yuma residential area:

Doesn't exactly conjure up images of say, downtown Madison, does it?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Yeah but they got cheap taxes....

Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yeah but they got cheap taxes....
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - best post of the day.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Probably the two ugliest places I've ever seen, for starters. Also, generations of permanent underclass, though, truthfully, since both places are almost entirely formulated on agricultural economies, those numbers fluctuate seasonally. But I digress. These two places are essentially extensions of Mexico, like much of the lower Rio Grande Valley. For someone who is used to NJ culture, being exposed to an area such as this is a complete flip 180° from every aspect of life you are accustomed to. Work ethic pretty much absent, a very high transient population, litter and graffiti all over the place. You have people who "winter" from the midwest and northeast, spend 4 months here to get away from the cold, then bolt as fast as possible. Towns such as these, in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, are full of people who 'just don't fit in' to normal, functional society. Most of them exist in proximity to the Interstate Highway System, which means they exist in part due to catering to cross country transportation. If you were to formulate the average time of residence (by Anglo residents) in these places versus NJ, you'd see quite a disparity. And it's been my contention (especially since I moved away from NJ) that when you mix people into areas of desolation, the results are often disasterous, if you measure these results by how appealing a neighborhood looks. Many of these people are not in it for the long haul, they are just there for a visit. Military towns in the southwest are guilty of this, El Centro and Yuma especially. When you combine all these factors together, you get high unemployment rates, and horrible man-made environments combined into one steaming pile of dreck.
El Centro:

Yuma residential area:

Yeah, but yet I bet people who live in those crappy looking bungalows still make jokes about NJ and think that it's all oil refineries and highways!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM

250 posts, read 683,457 times
This will definitely affect housing values here in the NJ/NY areas!

New Jersey Real Estate Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey