Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,016 times

Advertisements

Hi, We will be moving this summer via the AF and and have 5 year old twins and need advice on towns close to the base that are safe and have good schools. We have never been to New Jersey or any where close. So anything you can share would be very appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by McGuire bound; 03-10-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 05:21 PM

219 posts, read 852,902 times
See my post about South Jersey.
It is a little farther south than the AFB.
You will still be seeing high taxes and corruption.
Good luck Brother.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,334 times
Default Home near McGuire AFB

Bordentown Township is close to McGuire. If you are looking for a home, there is a beautiful rancher is a lovely neighborhood in Bordentown Township currently for sale. If you are still in the market, contact Victoria @ (609)689-9344 (Joe D Remax) and ask about the house on Heiser Avenue.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,706 times
Live in base housing and when it's time to PCS out run like you are being chased.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 87,605 times
I live in Medford Lakes-great, small town atmosphere in the Pines. Good schools and great location for everything-Philly, shore, can even get on the train to NYC. Everyone around here is friendly. Kids ride bikes to school.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 39,861 times
I second Medford Lakes. I actually have a home for rent / sale up there now. Not sure if it will still be available by the time you get there, though, since I'm looking to rent it out or sell it fairly soon and have had lots of interest. Lots of folks from the two bases live in the area.

I'd certainly still give my advice. I've lived in Burlington county all my life, around the Mt. Laurel, Delran and Medford areas.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM

67 posts, read 247,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronmanNJ View Post
I am also in Barngat NJ. I live in Liberty Glen. Which is off Georgetown Blvd. K Hovanian is building about 200 news home 470,000 + right behing my house. Barnegat is great. Settlers Landing are the older homes in Barengat that are close to the new homes I am speaking about. They are just older (30+) but it is completly safe. My neighbor is a cop and actually he tells me all the time that Manahawkin has more problems then Barengat any day. They are both very safe towns so dont let that scare you at all. Believe me..Barengat is awesome. I would look into Barnegat in a heart beat.. But I would go with Ryan homes not Walters. Ryan has a better reputation. I build in Barnegat with Ryan and our freinds build with Walter. They sold it after 2 years.. nothing but problems... including sewer back up in basement.
Ryan is building new home off Georgetown Blvd stating in the 380,000 no upgrades. But there is one of the 5 year old Ryan homes like mine (savoy) for sales at 125 georgetown blvd for 369,900 which is really low for that house. They are my neighbors and they are being tranfered to Wisconsin for work, YIKES! They moved in the same time we did and are great people. I would jump on that house if you are serious about Barnegat. You will get more for you money , on a quite street (the other end of Georgetown goes right to rt 9 but we are on the end of the street with no traffic at all).

Good luck.. Better schools, great homes, Town has really come along since I have been here 5 years and we have a brand new high school, new elementry, and a YMCA they are planning to build here. We also are getting a huge sports complex with ice rink and other great things.. Parks and minutes from LBI...
Couldn't have said it better

Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 39,861 times
I guess it depends how far you want to be from base. If your husband isn't regularly commuting in, then Barnegat would be ok.

I actually have friends that grew up in LBI, specifically beach haven, and most of their family has relocated to the Mainland, Manahawkin area. Since Barnegat is very close to LBI, you will have to deal with shore traffic, however you'll be really close to the beach.

If you wanted to be closer in, I'd still recommend Burlington County. Southampton. Maybe Woodland.

If you wanted to still have the ability to go swimming and have recreation, you still can't beat Medford Lakes though. I used to be an adjunct professor on base for BCC, and I commuted from Medford Lakes quite a bit. It is an excellent family town, there is a local colony club that runs summer camp for children, a canoe carnival (think of a parade over water, where the floats actually float). A good deal of people from the bases in the area do rent/own there.

It's a small town. Not many people know much about it, and I suppose much of the town would like to keep it that way!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,178 times
Whatever you do stay away from the Browns Mills area. It is directly off the base and I have lived there many years and have seen it go down hill quick.
Alot of the schools don't make the grade and we are seeing more and more crime and especially gangs coming to the area. I would recommend Mansfield and or Bordentown area. I have also heard good things about Medford lakes.
Best of luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,800 times
I agree with bmnj about staying away from Browns Mills/Pemberton.

I live in Chesterfield which shares a school district with McGuire. A lot of the families that do no want to live in base housing live in North Hanover, Mansfield, Columbus, Chesterfield, and Springfield. We all use the same Middle and High Schools. Any of these towns would be perfect for you (depending on your price range) and they all have good schools and are safe. Bordentown is also very nice - low crime and good schools. I recommend any of these areas - and you will find many military families in these towns as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey