Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadutka View Post
WOW! Its Lets throw realtors under the bus day!! All of you who would suggest to tell the realtor to go pound sand..........

Consider this you would rather sit on the market.....

Have strangers go through your house everyday..........

When I sold my multi-family I listed at 7% Why???

3 % to my sellers agent to handle all the headaches And..........

4% to all buyers agents..........Why???

Human nature thats why. If any of you wouldnt agree to work harder and for more money...........

You are a verydishonest person... or you are not human :-)
It is that day everyday around here Lisa. There are a few bashers around here who will find issue with most anything a Realtor does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 PM

36 posts, read 139,197 times
I had No idea it was that way. I think some of the posters were molested by realtors when they were a kid.... ;-)

But seriously it appears that certain people on this blog take exception to a realtor feeding his family......

Maybe the For Sale By Owner should have just offered the buyers agent a cold glass of lemonade or some hot cocoa for the buyer.
:-)

WOOOOW!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I had No idea it was that way. I think some of the posters were molested by realtors when they were a kid.... ;-)

But seriously it appears that certain people on this blog take exception to a realtor feeding his family......

Maybe the For Sale By Owner should have just offered the buyers agent a cold glass of lemonade or some hot cocoa for the buyer.

WOOOOW!!!
I hear you Lisa. I think one of the bashers even posted a family member's picture a few pages back, or possibly it was the picture from his/her business card.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM

612 posts, read 1,010,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I would want a hard A$$ doing that job
Is that what you are?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
Is that what you are?
When it is time to represent my clients interests, many would describe me as being very capable of getting them the best deal possible.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Back to the original post - how did you make out after agreeing to 3.5%? Did they show it?

You'd asked about listing on the MLS without getting an answer..

Look here.

I did a google search for - for sale by owner NJ - from there I looked to see if they include a listing on the MLS which you need.

IMO, had you listed on the MLS to begin with the buyer may have found you instead.

BTW, if you do not have an attorney you should at least get one. We had an agent and in this market not having someone on your side as a seller is the pits. I am not saying that our agent was on our side, at times it didn't feel like it but we sold. When we buy/sell again I might rethink what I do. It has not been a good selling experience..

edit - you should also consider using pro pictures if you list on the MLS. I can give you a link if you DM me.
Photos and a virtual tour are important. Don't take your own pictures. Packages started at $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
I got the document and it seems straightforward. The payment would be directed by the closing attorney, so I assume that means at closing. Thanks for your comments.

However, she's only got one client whom she feels would be interested. That is the only client stipulated in the agreement document. There is no agreement to show the property to anyone else.

This is valid reasoning, and I have considered this. It seems that if buyers are scarce, both realtors and sellers lose, but sellers are in worse shape. So on one hand, a realtor with an eager client has something valuable to offer, no doubt. On the other hand, a realtor is supposed to be working in the buyer's interest, so withholding information about an appropriate property because the commission is not high enough (meaning over the standard 3%) seems unethical to me. That's bugging me a bit.

My condo has only been on the market since the end of October, and I have had 4 open houses, supported only by curb signs. I had about 20 people come through that were actually looking for condos, but only a few that seemed to be earnestly looking for a place right now. So it hasn't been marketed, other than a craigslist posting.

The asking price has been set, so it can only go down from there. Therefore I can't build in the extra commission to offset it in the price, if that's what you're suggesting. I can only end up with less. So the answer is no, I wouldn't care how much the realtor makes if I ended up with what I wanted for the property. But in this case it means I will end up with less.

Maybe I should just acquiesce at 3.5% and hope it works out quickly and cleanly at a decent price. I won't go to 4%, though; that just feels like gouging to me, and it feels wrong.

Again, thanks to all for the comments.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
you missed the point. If the realtor was business savvy, he/she would be willing to work for a 3% commission to get the sale done ASAP rather than risk the possibility of not getting it done. If the realtor is so "business savvy", why not go for broke and demand a 6% commission?
I have a feeling that the realtor asked for 4% figuring the homeowner would come back with 2% and then they would haggle and settle on 3%.
Asking for 6% would have been a dumb move... asking for 4% was savvy! It's sales and you never ask for what you really think you will get! Just like buyers.. offering 80 to 90% asking price.. they don't really expect to pay that but it's a "starting point". It's the nature of the business and it's the responsibility of the seller and buyer to educate themselves before planning on such a large "business transaction". Hate the game not the player

Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default Nothing is used! It's just PRE-OWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
But I agree with you, let them get the most that they can. Let's just call them "used house salesmen" and then everyone is on notice that they're just out to make a buck like anyone else, and will refrain from putting any undue trust in them.
Ahem... that would be "pre-owned house salespersons" please!

Try these
Stockbrokers: people who sell pre-owned parts of companies.
Business brokers: people who sell pre-owned whole companies.
Retailers: people who sell pre-owned merchandise, most of which is newly manufactured.
Grocers: people who sell pre-owned food products.
Auto salespeople: __________________ (fill in the blank)
Lawyers: _________________________ (?)

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:

WOOOOW!!!
It really has nothing to do with that, the discussion is simply about a realtor not showing a client a home until the seller agreed to 4%. nothing more, nothing less.

My last buyers brought an agent (FSBO) who took 3% and did EVERYTHING. She was awesome and didn't deny showing her clients my house because I set the fee at 3% and not 4. I can't remember her name (long time ago) but I wouldn't hesitate to use her again. I'm sure a FSBO was a royal PITA for her as a buyer's agent, but you know what? She gained the seller's and MY admiration, and most of all, SHE MADE MONEY. WIN WIN WIN - isn't that what it's all about?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 AM

612 posts, read 1,010,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have a feeling that the realtor asked for 4% figuring the homeowner would come back with 2% and then they would haggle and settle on 3%.
Asking for 6% would have been a dumb move... asking for 4% was savvy! It's sales and you never ask for what you really think you will get! Just like buyers.. offering 80 to 90% asking price.. they don't really expect to pay that but it's a "starting point". It's the nature of the business and it's the responsibility of the seller and buyer to educate themselves before planning on such a large "business transaction". Hate the game not the player
rofl, so you "have a feeling"? It obviously wasn't too savvy because the owner flat out admitted that he/she would to 3% no problem. The agent didn't even have to bother with her games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey