U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,285,526 times

Advertisements

Noticed a disgruntled NJ resident below mention auto insurance as "way out of line". Is that the feeling of the majority of the posters here?

Yes, yes, we all know that NJ has the highest rates in the country. I must've lucked out (BIG PROPS for NJM), but our insurance is very reasonable. 3 cars: 1 compact 1998, 1 sedan 1998, 1 small SUV 2006. Standard deductable on all ($500 collision and comprehensive). Average is less than $600 a vehicle per year. We live in suburbia, have clean records, but, maybe this is biggie - no teen drivers.

What's your take on it? Also, has anyone had success with Geico or the other low cost carriers entering the state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 AM

128 posts, read 379,197 times
I do not know where you live, but we live in Central NJ and the insurance is high. It is just my husband and I with a clean driving record and we pay over 2K. Are you sure you are living in NJ- - I would love to know what town so we can move and reap some of your benefits.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Default car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
I do not know where you live, but we live in Central NJ and the insurance is high. It is just my husband and I with a clean driving record and we pay over 2K. Are you sure you are living in NJ- - I would love to know what town so we can move and reap some of your benefits.
morris county. if you can, join NJM, they're phenominal.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM

19 posts, read 54,398 times
Look into 21st Century Insurance, I'm in Middlesex and the savings was $700/year compared to Liberty and ~$300less than GEICO and NJM.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,953,601 times
I dunno- my wife and I pay around 2k/year on a 2005 Magnum RT and a 2006 Freestyle through Allstate, which, while I don't enjoy writing the checks, doesn't exactly kill me. Our rates actually went down when we moved back here from Las Vegas, so I'm not so sure I buy the whole "NJ has the highest auto insurance rates" line.

Bob

Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Default no deal for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem212 View Post
Look into 21st Century Insurance, I'm in Middlesex and the savings was $700/year compared to Liberty and ~$300less than GEICO and NJM.
for fun i did an online quote - it's about $600/yr more than NJM with higher deductibles. besides, we've had to make several claims with NJM over our 17 year relationship and they are nothing short of superb. no wonder they rated the highest in the nation acc'd to consumer reports.

glad you got a lower rate, though.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,486,632 times
If you can get into NJM go with it...I also have my home owners thru them. I havn't had to use them often (thank God ) but when I have they have been right there..and I mean right there with help etc. I would never go elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,550,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Noticed a disgruntled NJ resident below mention auto insurance as "way out of line". Is that the feeling of the majority of the posters here?

Yes, yes, we all know that NJ has the highest rates in the country. I must've lucked out (BIG PROPS for NJM), but our insurance is very reasonable. 3 cars: 1 compact 1998, 1 sedan 1998, 1 small SUV 2006. Standard deductable on all ($500 collision and comprehensive). Average is less than $600 a vehicle per year. We live in suburbia, have clean records, but, maybe this is biggie - no teen drivers.

What's your take on it? Also, has anyone had success with Geico or the other low cost carriers entering the state?
We have NJM as well and pay around $2,800 for 3 cars. Agree about the props for NJN they are just the best. We have our home owners with them as well and they were about $2,000 a year cheaper than USAA. Amazing.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:25 AM

21,329 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Quote:
for fun i did an online quote - it's about $600/yr more than NJM with higher deductibles. besides, we've had to make several claims with NJM over our 17 year relationship and they are nothing short of superb. no wonder they rated the highest in the nation acc'd to consumer reports.

glad you got a lower rate, though.
I was able to get with them and keep them after marrying someone that had it. I've been very happy with them, and haven't had any problems.

Quote:
We live in suburbia, have clean records, but, maybe this is biggie - no teen drivers.
I can tell you that having a teen driver or a new driver is expensive. My son (22) has a 2005 Mazda 3, his insurance was about $2,500; compared to insuring a 93 Taurus at $1,800. After a few accidents it didn't really go up but they "suggested" he get his own policy. Since he couldn't be bothered filling in the forms he went with 21st.com and got a better quote, but at this time the car is paid off and he's being penalized for tickets and not insurable by most that send junk mail.

The one issue I have with NJM and I'm not sure if all places are like this is it was a hassle taking my son off of our policy. Even though they suggested he come off, when I called they wouldn't take him off without him having his own policy (which faxing paperwork was another story). I was trying to teach him a lesson and wasn't able to Even though the car that was in both of our names got titled only to him, they still wouldn't do it even though I didn't "own" the car any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
If you can get into NJM go with it...
A few years ago they had the refer a friend and everyone that I refered was turned down because they didn't work for a qualifying company.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:43 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,784,761 times
I've heard good things about NJM, but it is a bit moot as not everyone can join.
I pay $2400 a year with NJCure for 2 new 1 banger. Set to drop 20% next year. I had cheaper quotes from Geico but currently have both accident and points forgiveness, which was usefull after my speeding ticket :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey