Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,508 times

Advertisements

i've seen two or three around the house.

does that mean there is a bigger infestation going on? i will surely call an exterminator cause i think they are disgusting. i scooped them up in a tissue and then squeezed so i didn't notice the stink. they went into the garbage and out of the house.

what is the smell like? maybe i smelled it and didn't realize that is what it was. i probably thought it was one of my dogs smelling. ( yes they usually smell like roses but ya slip every now and then, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
tough to describe the smell- almost almondy? its offensive, and some smell worse than others. I crushed 5 of them and threw them in the outdoor trash can. 1 week later, when I open the can, I can't even smell the trash, just the bugs. I've become so in tune to the smell that I will know when one has entered the house.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have 3 cats and they have already learned the hard way that stinks bugs are not a good toy!!! Actually, one of my cats has developed asthma since we moved in and now I'm wondering...could it just be an allergic reaction to the stink bugs?
We are infested with stink bugs as well. My oldest cat started sneezing back in October. I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. It went on for a couple more weeks then stopped. Now earlier this week he started up again, not just sneezing but he sounds congested too. Is this what happened with your cat? I'm going to take him back to the vet.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
[quote=Calico696;7208613]We are infested with stink bugs as well. My oldest cat started sneezing back in October. I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. It went on for a couple more weeks then stopped. Now earlier this week he started up again, not just sneezing but he sounds congested too. Is this what happened with your cat? I'm going to take him back to the vet.[/quote]

Our little guy goes into coughing fits... like he's trying to cough up a hairball. I'm wondering myself if it's not a reaction to the bugs???? Let me know what you find out as I'd prefer not to have him on steriods for too long!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
i've seen two or three around the house.

does that mean there is a bigger infestation going on? i will surely call an exterminator cause i think they are disgusting. i scooped them up in a tissue and then squeezed so i didn't notice the stink. they went into the garbage and out of the house.

what is the smell like? maybe i smelled it and didn't realize that is what it was. i probably thought it was one of my dogs smelling. ( yes they usually smell like roses but ya slip every now and then, lol)
To me, it smells like your grandmother's house..lol. Cheap, nasty old lady perfume or cheap soap. It's a wierd smell...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
If you want to shoot them give me a call girl and I'll be right over.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If you want to shoot them give me a call girl and I'll be right over.
I would but I think they wear bullet proof vests

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have 3 cats and they have already learned the hard way that stinks bugs are not a good toy!!! Actually, one of my cats has developed asthma since we moved in and now I'm wondering...could it just be an allergic reaction to the stink bugs?
Terry, check your duct registers. In our formal living room there was tons of trash, so far it was the only one I found like that. I wonder if this is why the cat is doing that.

Next, possible the bugs came in when the house was being built, which I've been learning about..

You don't want to know what we had in our house. Apparently the house is not sealed if bugs are coming in.

Good luck...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Terry, check your duct registers. In our formal living room there was tons of trash, so far it was the only one I found like that. I wonder if this is why the cat is doing that.

Next, possible the bugs came in when the house was being built, which I've been learning about..

You don't want to know what we had in our house. Apparently the house is not sealed if bugs are coming in.

Good luck...
I always buy new construction so I typically expect to be killing bugs..spiders during the first year. All the ducts are clear... this builder definately had OCD!!!
We also wondered if the cat wasn't reacting to all the new stuff..carpets, wood, finishes, etc. They all give off VOCs.
B&C gathered a couple dozen stink bugs from the attic yesterday... we'll be doing another sweep tomorrow and if that doesn't work..it may be time for the exterminator!!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
They are native to Japan, Korea, and China, and landed in the US on a shipment in Allentown, PA. The Lehigh Valley, Hunterdon, and Warren Counties are the epicenter for these disgusting insects.

Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've learned that the fluid in their bodies that smells also acts as an antifreeze, so they can survive outside year round. My house is 55 years old, well-insulated and sealed, but no house is sealed 100%. You have ridge vents, gable vents, and soffit vents on the roof- likely entry points. These insects can flatten themselves completely and take days to work their way slowly through a doorway or window. Also, they LOVE window or wall A/C units. I have two wall units that cannot be removed- I've sealed them with plastic inside and out, but believe me they get in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey