Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,146 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Virginia, and the place I live in is up and coming, but there are no big companies (except for Geico) so jobs that are not cashier or waitress are none existent. It is the perfect place for retirees, and uppermiddle class to wealth families. And people that can afford long commutes to D.c. I am looking to move to New Jersey, but need affordable rent nothing over 700/mo. and convenient public transportation, with shops, stores, and stuff nearby. I do have a husband and a terrible two yr. old (we are an african American family) so somewhere that has too much crime is out of the question. Hopefully somewhere near NY, so that getting a job we would have better luck than here. Any suggestions on places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM

138 posts, read 610,567 times
Unfortunately, $700 does not get you much in NJ, except maybe in south Jersey, which is not near NY. And in northern NJ, the only thing you would possibly find would be a studio or a small one bedroom, not likely in a good area. It's very expensive here...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Yeah, unfortunately you're not going to find anything big enough for your family for $700 per month, at least not in a safe area close to NYC.

This is a very high-cost state. Sadly, this is why many people are leaving NJ.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Question looking to move to New Jersey

Is there a surrounding state that you would suggest?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Pennsylvania has a lower cost of living, but you will be in the same boat, job wise, that you are in currently in Virginia.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

34 posts, read 110,924 times
Wink Cost of Living

NJ is very expensive- property taxes, housing- just cost of living in general.
Have you though of looking in your neighboring state of NC? Raliegh/Durham or Charlotte are beautiful cities. Both areas are comparable to larger cities in VA. I have lived there and would go back in a heartbeat- for now I am stuck in NJ and paying $20,000 a year in property taxes. Fly south!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Texas--Dallas Fort Worth area or San Antonio. So many companies are moving out there, because real estate and taxes are cheap.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird123 View Post
I currently live in Virginia, and the place I live in is up and coming, but there are no big companies (except for Geico) so jobs that are not cashier or waitress are none existent. It is the perfect place for retirees, and uppermiddle class to wealth families. And people that can afford long commutes to D.c. I am looking to move to New Jersey, but need affordable rent nothing over 700/mo. and convenient public transportation, with shops, stores, and stuff nearby. I do have a husband and a terrible two yr. old (we are an african American family) so somewhere that has too much crime is out of the question. Hopefully somewhere near NY, so that getting a job we would have better luck than here. Any suggestions on places?
$700 is the average rent out by me and I'm close to Allentown PA, Easton PA, etc.- Philly is about 1.5 hrs. and NYC is about 1 hr. Public transportation is limited but there's tons of shopping close by. The only downside to most of the towns out here is the HS - unless you have a football superstar : )) (Phillipsburg HS) but the elementary schools are fine. There seems to be a large population of African Americans out this way as well... working middle class area.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Thank you everybody for your replies, this has been a hard decision

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird123 View Post
Thank you everybody for your replies, this has been a hard decision
Of all the counties in the entire United States new Jersey has 13 of the top 20 of the highest tax burden for residents......this is not someplace you wish to move to but rather move away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey