U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM

18 posts, read 115,514 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been lingering and searching through this forum for a bit but can't find an exact answer. My boyfriend and I live in St. Louis and are moving to New Jersey soon. I'm from Miami and I'm quite looking forward to some more passionate personalities than the Midwest offered. LOL! Well, he'll be taking quite a pay cut and will be working in Englewood Cliffs. I'll probably be doing contract work as an attorney in NYC or NJ. We're looking for a hip, cosmopolitan, artsy area to live. We've been told Hoboken is it but with his pay cut and my lack of employment when I first arrive, it might be too expensive for that first year. Is there another town(s) that offer similar proximity to NYC and a similar city vibe at a slightly lower cost? We're 30 and 32 and our budget is about $1400 for rent. A one bedroom is fine and I know it will be small but as long as it's in a cool area it'll be fine. I had to dish out quite a bit for a one bedroom on south beach so I'm aware of the whole larger place vs. hipper area conundrum. Thanks for taking the time to read and, hopefully, respond. I can't wait to get there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,434,709 times
Check out Jersey City (close to the Journal Square or Grove St. train stations on the PATH line).

Others more familiar with JC will probably be able to make more specific recommendations.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Is Jersey City similar in style to Hoboken? I see that it's further west. Silly question, but is englewood very far from these cities?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM

I may have been unclear. I see englewood on the map but what I meant was driving time. Anything other than jersey city or Hoboken? We may have to take one trip only and just rent a place in a few days. Anything will help. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM

214 posts, read 969,047 times
The Grove Street and Newport areas of Jersey City are south of Hoboken. JC is a big place, and it borders Hoboken on it's south and west.

Although if you are working in Englewood Cliffs... you might want to check out Fort Lee or Edgewater. Or if you like NYC, you may even pull off living in Washington Heights/Hudon Heights.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM

What kind of area/towns are fort lee and edgewater? Suburb types? Family homes? Is there a younger vibe? I looked into Washington heights in NYC but I'm a little worried about the crime rates listed. I might be wrong about the area.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 AM

47 posts, read 199,986 times
MONTCLAIR - MONTCLAIR - MONTCLAIR - super-artsy - big time cultured - TONS of restaurants - IT'S BROOKLYN-WEST

Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 15,996 times
I live in JC and would not recommend it. Can't wait to leave. As far as Edgewater/Fort Lee go, they do not have a hip vibe. They have a highly Asian influence and also are out of your price range for a decent apt. You may find something in or near Hoboken at that price (maybe a studio) but if you need to park, you may not have luck.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 AM

730 posts, read 2,783,838 times
Well I live in JC also and I would recommend it. For 30 somethings there is a lot of things to do, places to eat, drink, etc. You can find an apt for $1400 here as well. Hoboken is also a great place for 30 somethings if you are into that whole vibe and getting there from JC is simple and fast.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,887,709 times
OK, let me clear a few things up...

Jersey City is primarily South of Hoboken...both towns share the Hudson River waterfront.

The desirable/hip/artsy/cosmopolitan areas of Jersey City (primarily the Downtown neighborhoods) are equal in rental prices to Hoboken.

The good news - in this market, you should be able to find a small 1-bedroom in EITHER Hoboken or Downtown Jersey City for $1,400.

Recommendation - if it's hip and artsy you're looking for, and you guys are in your 30's - avoid Hoboken. It's very young (the "scene" there is very 22-25, postgrad), and any artsiness that was in Hoboken left town about 5 years ago. Downtown Jersey City (look into Grove Street area, Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park) is very hip and artsy, and just as easy (or easier, IMO) to get into NYC as Hoboken is. Also, the "scene" in Downtown Jersey City is more your age group.

Edgewater and Fort Lee are suburban. I don't believe either town is what you're looking for.

Regarding the post that said Montclair is Brooklyn West - ummm, no. Montclair is a great town in it's own right, and it is not urban (Brooklyn is). Montclair is a suburban town that tends to be quite diverse (for a suburban town, that is), and it has a lively downtown. So, for Montclair, regarding the original posters requirements... Hip? A little. Cosmopolitan? No. Artsy...kinda.

To the OP...look to Downtown Jersey City or Hoboken. Basically, Downtown JC = Hoboken, but without the younger riff-raff. Check both out for yourselves though, and let me know if you have any further questions on either towns (I'm very familiar with both). FYI, both towns are about a 25 minute drive from Englewood Cliffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey