Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times

Advertisements

OK...the Seaside thread got me thinking. My dear old mum told me that Asbury Park is THE place to be right now. She said Cookman Avenue especially. I haven't been to Asbury Park for like 12 years and I find that hard to believe. She said there are all these trendy restaurants and shops. Asbury???? Who knew??

Maybe I'll take a ride up there today to make a report.

What do YOU all think? My mum has been known to be a tad batty sometimes so who knows what I will find on an investigation trip. LOL!

~Shanny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Asbury was starting to get some momentum, but with the housing/credit problems of late, several of the big projects have shut down. It's very likely that if things don't improve quickly, you could see 1/2-finished structures sitting there rotting again, just like the one from the last "renaissance". You'll also find that the improved area is pretty minor compared to the rest of the town, which still needs alot of help. The schools still suck as well, which is going to make any really large-scale improvement difficult.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
OK...the Seaside thread got me thinking. My dear old mum told me that Asbury Park is THE place to be right now. She said Cookman Avenue especially. I haven't been to Asbury Park for like 12 years and I find that hard to believe. She said there are all these trendy restaurants and shops. Asbury???? Who knew??

Maybe I'll take a ride up there today to make a report.

What do YOU all think? My mum has been known to be a tad batty sometimes so who knows what I will find on an investigation trip. LOL!

~Shanny
Pure puffery, yes AP has seen some building and there's a couple of shops and restaurants that have opened but essentially not too much has changed the town is still infested with low lifes of all stripes and while those places are drawing some new people in to AP it is still run by corruption and in my opinion has a very long road to travel. A few gays coupled with real estate speculators trying to pump up values is not going to turn this place around anytime soon

Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times
Well, I wouldn't want to live there but it will be interesting to ck out the restaurants and shops.

I'll let you know.

~Shanny

Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
My dear old mum told me that Asbury Park is THE place to be right now.
Tilly's gone. Who cares about the rest of it?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Amen. Even with a "rising" it'll still be just another boardwalk now.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
While I am not a religious person I did happen to take in the Easter sunrise service on the beach in Ocean Grove this morning. After the service we took a drive along the Asbury Park beach front road. (right next door to OG) There is a lot of work to be done at Asbury Park.
One of the things I did realize as we walked along the AP boardwalk and looked out at the Atlantic ocean was that no matter how much money somebody has there is just no duplicating ocean front property. Of all the billions spent in Las Vegas there is still one thing it will never be and that is ocean front.

While I am in no way suggesting we start vacationing in Asbury Park, it will come back to life someday. Maybe not in our lifetime but it will come back.

E

Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Tillie is NOT gone... He is still in Asbury Park on the Wonder Bar now!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Tillie is NOT gone... He is still in Asbury Park on the Wonder Bar now!
I saw that yesterday, it's not the original Tillie, it's a clone.

E

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I saw that yesterday, it's not the original Tillie, it's a clone.

E
Really, are you sure? I was pretty sure they saved one of the Tillie's ( Actually I know they saved one of the Tillie's ) and I assumed that was the one they saved... Unless they have the other one somewhere else... Because during the attempt to save both Tillie faces one of them was destroyed and the other was rescued. The things I learn from Weird NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey