Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
And you can obviously provide us with an official link that confirms these stats, right?
Of course.

//www.city-data.com/city/Orange-New-Jersey.html

NEW JERSEY SCHOOL REPORT CARD 2006-2007

Best high schools in New Jersey - NJ top schools - New Jersey Monthly - The Best of NJ (njmonthly.com)

Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM

27 posts, read 100,859 times
BTW,back then before reading this thread, I initially thought that the thread title "Orange, NJ (what a shame)" was because of the city's crime records.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Yeah, multicultural is a "code" word. Geniuses
Your post talks about a "buffer" zone and sounds more like it belongs in a discussion on Afghanistan. And that area is already "multicultural" depending on the viewpoint.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
In relation to the crime and poverty average, that first link proves very little. In a town of 30,000 everything will stand out in comparison to the national average.

As for the schools, all that proves is that the towns that are the poorest economically also have the poorest performing schools. Most, if not all those schools also receive the least state funding as well. Having attended Orange HS I can attest that it wasn't the best funded school.

These stats are not unique to Orange and can apply to pretty much Anytown, USA.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
whites don't have to stay away from neighborhoods with large populations of african-americans. i bet you i could walk right through an african-american neighborhood in Orange without a problem.

is there anyone out there who can confirm this? Nauticadon? am I right?
Have you ever done it and if so what problems did you encounter?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
Quote:
In relation to the crime and poverty average, that first link proves very little. In a town of 30,000 everything will stand out in comparison to the national average.
The link proves exactly what I said it proved: that the crime rate in Orange is twice the national average.

There are plenty of towns with populations near or above 30,000 where the crime rate is not above the national average. These towns with average or below average crime rates range from wealthy towns with few blacks (e.g. Westfield), to less affluent but still relatively wealthy towns with significant black populations (e.g. Maplewood), to decidedly blue-collar towns with significant black populations (e.g. Rahway). All of these towns have roughly the same population as Orange, with crime rates at or below the national average. Orange has a crime rate double the national average.

Quote:
As for the schools, all that proves is that the towns that are the poorest economically also have the poorest performing schools. Most, if not all those schools also receive the least state funding as well. Having attended Orange HS I can attest that it wasn't the best funded school.
I'm not here debating the cause of Orange's failing public schools -- that's debatable. But I cited it as a clear reason why white people (or anyone with an option) would choose not to live in Orange. You've done nothing to refute that.

Quote:
These stats are not unique to Orange and can apply to pretty much Anytown, USA.
Wrong. The stats that I cited are specific to Orange. Yes, there are other towns in the same position (high crime and failing schools) but these stats do not apply to Anytown, USA. They are Orange's stats, and Orange must own up to them (and correct them) if it's ever going to improve.

The bottom line is that the inference that white people avoid Orange because of the skin color of the residents is laughable. It's the culture of crime, lack of order and respect for others, and failing public schools that cause people to stay away from Orange. It's easy to point the finger at skin color, isn't it?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
While I was going to an appointment at the VA East Orange campus I had an opportunity to drive through Orange before continuing through South Orange, Maplewood and Millburn before I got on the 78 West.

What a Great Housing stock. I didn't get a chance to check out the downtown area, but the neighborhoods seemed just as pristine as those in South Orange. Why is this place 90+ percent African American (nothing wrong with that in principle). It is ripe to be just as nice as Maplewood etc..
Do whites/asians etc. stay away strictly because soo many AA's living there. Seems silly. Orange really could and should come back as beautiful multicultural utopia. Would help buffer surrounding areas as well to cement their standing and allowing them never to deteriorate to the level of East Orange/Irvington etc....

Your post is insulting the people who live in Orange. You need to brush up on your persuasive writing skills. I almost fell outta my chair after reading your statement about the "great housing stock."

Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,314 times
Quote:
False. The poorest towns receive the most government funding while others may not even qualify. I think you are confusing mismanagement of funds to not receiving funding.If you don’t believe me goggle “erate” it’s a program where schools can get discounts on telecommunications and information services based on their free lunch applications. Discount ranges form 80%-100%. Lower middle class districts and up will not qualify for such help. Example: Newark School Districts has one of the fastest bandwidth to the internet in the state that only top tier rich districts can afford. The reason is because Newark gets hefty discounts. Also, poorer districts generally have better starting salaries, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get anyone to work there.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
I'm wondering why the OP hasn't moved to Orange to help bring about this multicultural paradise he speaks of.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
Quote:
Have you ever done it and if so what problems did you encounter?
i've driven through some of the more colorful parts of Newark...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey