Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,096,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can see the change over from the train , from Harrison - Newark - East Orange - Orange - South Orange - Maplewood....its not that big a change and happens slowly. The Oranges seem to be trying to approve , while Orange and East Orange are cleaning up there cities , West Orange and South Orange are trying to attract that young commuter crowd. South Orange is doing better then West Orange in that dept , East Orange has started to get that crowd around the Brick Church section... I think by 2030 all the Oranges will be the same in terms of a stable Middle Class section with South Orange , Orange and East Orange leading for certain reasons...
You mean because of their proximity to the train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

10,219 posts, read 19,119,049 times
Quote:
East Orange has started to get that crowd around the Brick Church section... I think by 2030 all the Oranges will be the same in terms of a stable Middle Class section with South Orange , Orange and East Orange leading for certain reasons...
I think you'll find most of the middle class commuter crowd at Brick Church is actually people driving in from W.O. and other surrounding communities. I've taken my bike down to take the train there and it's pretty nasty, though I've seen worse. There was a push a few years back to attract the commuter crowd in E.O; there are a few threads on this forum about what happened. Basically some buildings went to seed and other projects went bankrupt before completion.

I imagine if the economy ever picks up again there will be another push, but I don't expect it will succeed. Housing stock would have to become so unavailable or so expensive in the towns which aren't disasters that people would be willing to move into E.O. knowing they'd have to send their kids to private schools. With NJ buyers being as school-conscious as they are, I don't see that happening. Jersey City and Hoboken have much better locations, and they remained (and in much of J.C.s case, still remain) horrid slums for decades despite that.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM

728 posts, read 1,957,764 times
Quote:
You can see the change over from the train , from Harrison - Newark - East Orange - Orange - South Orange - Maplewood....its not that big a change and happens slowly. The Oranges seem to be trying to approve , while Orange and East Orange are cleaning up there cities , West Orange and South Orange are trying to attract that young commuter crowd. South Orange is doing better then West Orange in that dept , East Orange has started to get that crowd around the Brick Church section... I think by 2030 all the Oranges will be the same in terms of a stable Middle Class section with South Orange , Orange and East Orange leading for certain reasons...
In 2030 all the Oranges will not be the same, if they are the same they would all be bad lol. South Orange will always be the "Wealthiest" West Orange will always be the nicest and most suburban. East Orange and Orange hopefully improve and I think theres potential for that especially in East Orange I still do not see them ever being in the same category as West or South.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM

You're right. East Orange and Orange are more dense (East Orange a bit moreso), so they'll probably be populated by working/middle class residents, whereas South/West Orange will remain upper-middle class areas.

Demographically, maybe they'll become a little more equal. Right now, East Orange is almost all-black, Orange is mostly Black, but has more Hispanics than East Orange, and South/West Orange have a slight White majority (around 60% White and 30% Black).

East Orange and Orange will probably see an increase in their White populations, making them more like West/South Orange.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,119,049 times
I don't see white people moving into Orange or E.O. any time soon. White people are mostly afraid to move into overwhelmingly black areas, and the residents of such areas are mostly hostile to white people moving in. About the only way it's going to happen is if the economy gets really booming, housing becomes basically unavailable in the wealthier towns to the west, and then some well-connected entrepreneur gets the idea he can make a killing through gentrification. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Note this would be re-gentrification in the case of E.O. -- E.O. was once the place to be for the upper-middle-class suburbanite; the richer ones lived in S.O. and up the hill in W.O. Orange itself was always working class.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You're right. East Orange and Orange are more dense (East Orange a bit moreso), so they'll probably be populated by working/middle class residents, whereas South/West Orange will remain upper-middle class areas.

Demographically, maybe they'll become a little more equal. Right now, East Orange is almost all-black, Orange is mostly Black, but has more Hispanics than East Orange, and South/West Orange have a slight White majority (around 60% White and 30% Black).

East Orange and Orange will probably see an increase in their White populations, making them more like West/South Orange.
Orange and East Orange will still be very similar demographically by 2030 if there is any group that cuts into the Black percentage it will be hispanics. And endless West Orange and South Orange change dramatically which is highly unlikely there demographics will be much different then Orange and East Orange.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I don't see white people moving into Orange or E.O. any time soon. White people are mostly afraid to move into overwhelmingly black areas, and the residents of such areas are mostly hostile to white people moving in. About the only way it's going to happen is if the economy gets really booming, housing becomes basically unavailable in the wealthier towns to the west, and then some well-connected entrepreneur gets the idea he can make a killing through gentrification. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Note this would be re-gentrification in the case of E.O. -- E.O. was once the place to be for the upper-middle-class suburbanite; the richer ones lived in S.O. and up the hill in W.O. Orange itself was always working class.
Harlem was able to gentrify despite it large Black population, but then again, it is much closer to Midtown than the Oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Orange and East Orange will still be very similar demographically by 2030 if there is any group that cuts into the Black percentage it will be hispanics. And endless West Orange and South Orange change dramatically which is highly unlikely there demographics will be much different then Orange and East Orange.
I was just saying that the Black population would probably decrease a bit. I doubt it would decrease to 30% like South/West Orange (or vice versa). It's just that you wouldn't have two of the Oranges being overwhelmingly Black and two having a large White population: EO and Orange would probably see the Black population reduced to 50-60% rather than 70-80%, with more Whites and Hispanics (and possibly Asians, though their population is practically non-existant in that area) moving in.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,426,550 times
I actually think this gentification in East Orange and Orange can actually happen. When New Yorkers will be continued to be forced out out of the city due to high rents they're going to spread to these areas hopefully.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Getting priced out of new york means you are paying such a high rent that living in Hoboken or the waterfront of JC saves u a lot of money. There is plenty of other places such as West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen that would attract people before orange and east orange.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,767,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Getting priced out of new york means you are paying such a high rent that living in Hoboken or the waterfront of JC saves u a lot of money. There is plenty of other places such as West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen that would attract people before orange and east orange.
For a while , but satilite cities and walkable towns like White Plains , Stamford , Tarrytown , New Rochelle , New Brunswick , Yonkers , Morristown and The Amboys are starting to attract people or Mostly ex-new Yorkers aswell. And Alot of these places were either dead or dumps 15 years ago , so give the Oranges 10 years and it will get there. Remember there is only so much land in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey