Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,183 times

Advertisements

Hi
my daughter misses her 1 year coz her bday is oct 29-2003. last year we tried putting her in kindergarten but every attempt failed. i did her homeschooling for the full one year n she has almost completed her first grade syllabus. i am so desperate to put her in first grade this year coz she's extra smart n intelligent n there's no point in wasting her year for the subjects which she already know. please somebody who went across this situation..... Help me out.
Also can anybody tell me if there's any state source which provide funds for homeschoolers?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 AM

272 posts, read 295,624 times
As a former teacher and also as someone who graduated high school at the age of 16, I am going to recommend that you don't pursue this.

Your child will be the youngest in class. She may be the brightest but social, emotionally and physically she is going to be competing with children who are a year older. Most schools won't let you do it they know the consequences of it. In many of the schools where I live, there will be children who have Sept. and Oct. birthdays who parents ( at pre school recommendations)hold them back a year. Schools have talented and gifted programs for very intelligent children.... and by the time your daughter is in 2nd grade she will be grouped according to her abilities.

Now for my own personal experience. I wasn't the smartest student in school but was a good student. I had no problems going through elementary school because there were several students my age. The school I went to believed in skipping grades for those who could do the work. In high school we were only a few I wasn't quite as smart and by college I was the only one everyone was smart. In the end I wish I hadn't skipped a grade.

You think it is just about academics but it is not. Socially, emotionally and physically make a difference. She is going to be a year younger than most... so when others begin to be interested in social activities with boys say at 13 or 14 your daughter will be 12. She is going to want to do what her peers are doing. Driving I started college at 16 daddy had to drive me. A year difference physically makes a difference if she is interested in sports. Peer pressure the maturity of your child makes a difference.

Home school with the intention of getting her into a higher grade further down the road, I haven't seen it happen. However, I don't come from an area where homeschooling is popular.

The schools aren't letting your child start early because they know the statistics of starting to early.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey