Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(((Brian)))

Sorry for the thread hijack! Just feeling sentimental today and lonely for NJ. I don't know when I'm ever going back. Or if. Think long and hard about this one, folks.
Nah, I don't mind threadjacks like that one.

You know what it is? Aside from being "home" New Jersey is a state that, right or wrong, gets a bad rap for a variety of reasons. Some are true and some wind up being outright lies. Because of this a lot of us found ourselves defending the state pretty fiercely. That's one thing that even people from Delaware can't lay claim to (and seriously...what's there to do in Delaware? ). New Jerseyans tend to take exceptional pride where they came from. We put people like Bruce Springsteen on a pretty high pedestal because hey...he's a Jersey boy who's made good and did our state proud.

I'll lay here at night and picture the drives from the race track down the turnpike. Or taking the parkway south to 37 to get to Seaside Heights. What I would give to be back home right now. A lot of nights you miss everything and everyone so bad you have a hard time even breathing.

At least for us we'll be waving "so long" to North Carolina and heading back to New Jersey before the end of this year. Don't worry JerZ, you'll get back home if you really and truly want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM

59 posts, read 241,494 times
[quote=tahiti;456912]jersey's not "getting so expensive" - it already is and has been for a long time. despite this, it's my home - all my family and friends are here. i don't know if i could handle non-NY newscasts (my mom moved to south jersey and we both felt like we were watching "pseudo-news" on channels 3,6,10 in philly). i'd miss my PORKROLL, GOOD bagels, GOOD pizza, the Shore, NYC, the green hills in the NW. i'm way type A, and if I don't know of 150 alternate routes to get somewhere, i'll go insane.

LOL!! Tears are coming out over here. "Pseudo-News" You nailed it. My in laws live in Mount Holly, so they only get Philly broadcasts. When I'm watching TV down there, I feel l like I'm in Mexico or something.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
[quote=Meyersd;512438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
jersey's not "getting so expensive" - it already is and has been for a long time. despite this, it's my home - all my family and friends are here. i don't know if i could handle non-NY newscasts (my mom moved to south jersey and we both felt like we were watching "pseudo-news" on channels 3,6,10 in philly). i'd miss my PORKROLL, GOOD bagels, GOOD pizza, the Shore, NYC, the green hills in the NW. i'm way type A, and if I don't know of 150 alternate routes to get somewhere, i'll go insane.

LOL!! Tears are coming out over here. "Pseudo-News" You nailed it. My in laws live in Mount Holly, so they only get Philly broadcasts. When I'm watching TV down there, I feel l like I'm in Mexico or something.
Not true. Only in the past 5 years have house prices doubled!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 AM

114 posts, read 208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I think it's as simple as Jersey is just "home" for a lot of us. I'm also 31 with one child and a husband. I sit here and think that this country is huge, and it is almost a shame to not experience other parts of it. But while the thought of going to a different state, with warmer weather perhaps, intrigues me-I stay right here. Family is not an issue (they live 5 minutes from me and we don't visit-LOL) so it has to be something else that keeps me here. Everything I know is here-from the 5 different routes to avoid an accident on Rt. 18 down to the sarcastic repartee with my bank teller. My cousin's wife is from PA and she said one time that she just didn't understand the connection people from Jersey have with the state-she couldn't wait to leave PA.
I think some of us have "Jersey likers guilt" too. We feel like we should want to leave when everybody is complaining about taxes, traffic, etc. It's almost like you have to apologize when you admit that you-*gulp*-like it here.
Haha Don't feel guilty about it embrase it call it your home it's okay. Besides stop looking at jersey from a financial view point honestly there are alot of great thing jersey has to offer me personally i could imaging living anywhere else

Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfromhere99 View Post
So, why is NC so appealing for NJ folks? That's all I hear of on here - people that move to NC. Why NC?
You know I was wondering the same thing I think I need to go on the NC thread and read about NC to figure this out because almost everone who talks about leaving NC is the first place the mention

Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl16 View Post
I think for some people who are fed up with NJ (the expense, overcrowding, etc.), NC looks very enticing. I know when I lived in NJ, I would hear about how wonderful NC was. Home prices are far less expensive (for now), better climate, less congested (for now). It was like hearing about a Utopia of sorts. What a great place NC is and how dismal NJ is. I think the thought of moving to NC has an appeal. Something to the effect of "I can't take it anymore in NJ--I'm going to move to NC because.....(see the above). So the ideal grows and takes on a life of its own. NC is the "hotspot" that people are flocking to.
Yea but little do they know slowly NC will be the next NJ. Anyway mosy people who move to the south almost always come back jersey life is an addiction I don't know what it is it just feels right

Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
I love jersey eventhough sometimes i want to move.. but no way to NC ... thinking Miami.. the reason why i don't take the leap is b/c i have a good job.. making ok $.. for a well known global company.. waiting for the right time to make my move to another position in the same company but in FL.. ;-)
So you'll trade snowstorm for hurricane...NO THANK YOU but miami is a nice place to VISIT

Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
So you'll trade snowstorm for hurricane...NO THANK YOU but miami is a nice place to VISIT
Gotta agree here! +1

Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 PM

32 posts, read 126,837 times
Hi all,

Very interesting reading this thread. I am born and raised in NJ.....18 years in Central Jersey...Bon Jovi Land, and the last 13 in Northern NJ. My husband, daughter and I are moving to SE Ct. in a few weeks, and while I am so happy to go, I am sad to leave "home" too. But, we are choosing to leave as I am "trading in" my humble 1950's style 1300 sq home on .24 acres for a brand new 2800 sq. center hall colonial on 2.4 acres for less than what we sold for. Now, mind you I will pay higher taxes, but 2000 more for more than twice the home and land, but there was no way my hubby and I were finding something like this here....no way. My hubby makes a great salary....well, great if you don't live here, because 6 figures is nothing much here now anyway....I find that very sad. I am staying home with my child and we wanted to maintain a lifestyle that supports this, but also wanted a bigger home for more children. We are very fortunate that he is in computer sales and works mainly from home so as long as he is near major transportation and not too far from metro areas, we can live wherever....so it doesn't make sense to kill ourselves to live here anymore. I will admit that I am tired of the frenetic pace of Northern NJ.....the taxes, the mentality that you never have enough, the price of real estate....and look forward to a somewhat subdued lifestyle a bit north (although, they too complain about such things....it is all relative!), but NJ has a lot to offer....you just have to pay for it!

NO matter where I live I will always be " a jersey girl" at heart, but to the OP....you can stay in the NE if you are flexible with work and get more for your money...it is possible...we are doing it....but I will complain every single time I have to go and get gas and get out of my car to do it (how uncivilized :0) )!!...hubby is from Maine and reminds me daily how spoiled we NJ folk are....Good luck,and keep up the positive postings...its refreshing!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 42,682 times
DON'T MOVE TO PA! I lived in Jersey for 41 years! Then moved to PA for the same reasons, couldn't afford it anymore (we have an antique car hobby that was also taking up a chunk of money let alone space) and what a mistake! The crap you have to put up with here and they don't like "outsiders"....big mistake!

We were going to move to SC, but that fell through. PA was our next choice, my dad lives in the Poconos, that was our vacation home when I was growing up. So we thought, what the heck....

I miss my friends in Jersey (I have none out here), no one out here can cut hair (I travel an hour to my old stylist) and still haven't found a dentist I like (yes, I travel an hour to my old dentist, too). Think about those things too if you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey