Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM

11 posts, read 42,658 times

Advertisements

I'm spoiled like jerseymama, WHAT? PUMP MY OWN GAS!!!!! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM

140 posts, read 605,997 times
I've read about Lamberville (sp?)? How expensive is it to live there? Seems like a pretty town.
Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,061 times
Default NJ is an expensive place to live

Yes, NJ is VERY expensive and everyone wants to get out. Highest real estate taxes, highest auto insurance, corrupt government. But you also hit on a few things. The reason it is so expensive to live is because the state provides those "free" services that you are taking advantage of. At least you are getting something in return for your tax dollars.

Good luck in your move. I hear Maryland is very nice.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 AM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
We were really desperate to move to NC the past year but after reading all the negative posts from former Jersey people who can't wait to get back to NJ we are really having second thoughts.
We had our house on the market and after dealing with all the bargain hunters and low ball offers we decided that perhaps NC can wait.
We don't really want to leave but retiring here is very costly so perhaps when and if the housing market rebounds and I stop reading all the negative reports from NC, maybe we will think about relocating.

Right now too many reasons to stay. Hopefully I won't have to use the snow blower again this year and I can plan on mowing the lawn once again.

E

I'm a former NJ'er who moved to Charlotte, NC, 3 years ago and haven't regretted it for one millisecond. There's plenty of northeasterner's kissing the ground that we got out of NJ and paying insane property taxes, exhorbitant prices on the home, outrageous car insurance, and on and on. We ultimately felt like we could not continue to live like that. Charlotte has a very healthy job market, with a lot of variety. You may make a bit less in overall salary, but in the end, everything else that you're paying lower more than makes up for it.

We ended up with better weather, friendlier and more humane people, good schools, incredible home prices and just a saner way of life. We gave up some of our family/friends, but it takes just a bit over an hour to fly there for a visit.

I will never go back to NJ again. And neither will most of my northeastern neighbors.

Last edited by lisaf; 04-07-2007 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 AM

22 posts, read 76,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
I'm a former NJ'er who moved to Charlotte, NC, 3 years ago and haven't regretted it for one millisecond. There's plenty of northeasterner's kissing the ground that we got out of NJ and paying insane property taxes, exhorbitant prices on the home, outrageous car insurance, and on and on. We ultimately felt like we could not continue to live like that. Charlotte has a very healthy job market, with a lot of variety. You may make a bit less in overall salary, but in the end, everything else that you're paying lower more than makes up for it.

We ended up with better weather, friendlier and more humane people, good schools, incredible home prices and just a saner way of life. We gave up some of our family/friends, but it takes just a bit over an hour to fly there for a visit.

I will never go back to NJ again. And neither will most of my northeastern neighbors.

Glad to hear something positive of Charlotte! I'm making my way to visit there within the next month. My job is relocating me to either Charlotte or Atlanta and based off my research i'm leaning more towards Charlotte. I have to give my answer on my preference by July 1st and the relocation will take place by October. Moving by myself is definitely nerve wrecking but i'm def. excited as well!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:23 PM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC101 View Post
Glad to hear something positive of Charlotte! I'm making my way to visit there within the next month. My job is relocating me to either Charlotte or Atlanta and based off my research i'm leaning more towards Charlotte. I have to give my answer on my preference by July 1st and the relocation will take place by October. Moving by myself is definitely nerve wrecking but i'm def. excited as well!
If you've got a choice between Charlotte or Atlanta, please do yourself a favor and pick Charlotte. The level of racism in Atlanta really, really, truly surprised the heck outta me. Plus, the schools aren't great either. You can visit the Atlanta boards if you need more back up to that. But there's lots of people moving OUT of Atlanta and moving to NC.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 PM

28 posts, read 151,924 times
I guess its the high taxes, miserable people, gray skies, pollution, cold weather, over priced housing, and high insurance that makes us all love this place We look forward to 3 months of the whole year June, July, August the only decent months.. why do people from jersey like it so much i live here and i HATE it!! I want to move to florida SOO BAD

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNJ View Post
why do people from jersey like it so much i live here and i HATE it!! I want to move to florida SOO BAD
Florida?????

That's just sick. No matter where you are there, every place else is 25 miles away. You might have to pay tolls to drive to the grocery store. You can take a shovel and dig a five-foot deep hole in your back yard in fifteen minutes. You won't hit a rock, because there aren't any of those. What there are is giant bugs. Lots of giant bugs. And herons. And alligators. And mile after mile after mile of the same flat, swampy, boring wasteland that you've been driving past for the last hour at least. TV news leads with either Gators football or basketball every night. They think Joe Lieberman is a flaming liberal. Everyplace plays Jimmy Buffett. They think an appointment means anytime within six hours of the time you agreed to. Everyone will try to sell you his favorite get-rich-quick scheme. Walking to your car involves a significant risk of getting skin cancer. There is no such thing as public transit, unless you count hotel shuttles. Two out of every three jobs there involves kissing some tourist's ass. The median age is like 84. Half the people there are kids who can't leave or students who say they go to the University of Florida, and the other half is 84 or older. That's it. That's Florida in a nutshell, and whoever wants it can have it. I just got back from there, and I can tell you, there are only two good things about that state -- Spring Training baseball, and the fishing is pretty good. After that, forget about it...

Old 04-08-2007, 12:28 AM

9 posts, read 60,034 times
There is a law that says you can't leave the state while divorced (and with children, obviously) unless you get permission. That's what keeps me here.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
I've read about Lamberville (sp?)? How expensive is it to live there? Seems like a pretty town.
Thanks.
Lambertville is a gorgeous little town. I love to go there on weekends and shop and walk around. But to live there, it is sort of off the beaten path. So unless you had a job very local (which there aren't many since it's quiet out there) or worked from home, you'd maybe have a nasty commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey