Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM

505 posts, read 1,761,945 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'm gonna rant- listen if you want to...

Has the concept of an on ramp been completely lost on a majority of the population? Has merging become so complicated that only of handful of licensed drivers are capable of handling this rather basic maneuver?

If you drive where I drive, your answer would be an emphatic "Yes."

I don't know what it is, but noone knows what they are doing on these innocent little roads that take you from "small roads" to "big roads." They are designed not only to get you on the big road, but get you up to speed so that you can merge with traffic on the big road. Pretty basic stuff. I am sure most of us on here, get on a merge ramp, then by the time they are at the end of the ramp or have merged on the highway, they are going at least 60 mph (65 mph speed limit) traffic permitting. I'm sure you're all looking at my post saying "Duh." Well hold your horses, because it isnt that easy for some people.

Over and over again I see cars on merge lanes going way too slow, or even worse, moving into the far right lane at the same, sloth-like speed of 40 or even 30 mph. They then proceed to use the far right lane to accelerate to the speed limit (if we're lucky) over the next two miles. While that might be just dapper on a Sunday stroll with no one on the road, when you have a high-speed mass of traffic moving along, its like throwing a stick in a bicycle wheel- it f*cks everything up.

So please, those idiots who think their car is more freight train than automotible, more CSX than CRX, use the RAMP to get up to speed before getting on the highway, not the right hand lane of the highway. A merge is more than just getting on the road, its getting on the road at the appropriate speed. If this task is too daunting, then there is an entire network of secondary roads with traffic lights and speed limits of 45 mph that you would feel much more comfortable on.

Looking at this idiocy in the other direction, this would be like coming down an off-ramp to a 25 mph road going 65 mph, and then using the next 2 miles to slow down. I am sure if you presented this scenario with those offenders mentioned above, they would be aghast as the notion. Not to mention that you would become the new favorite person for the local police department.

/rant

Like I said, this was a rant- loosely or poorly structured ramblings of something that irked me today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,929,906 times
I have always said that all traffic is caused by people who do not know how to merge.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,133 times
I love on-ramps, best place to really floor it
If the on-ramp has concrete walls on each side, even better

Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Default The Y word

Agreed the art of "yielding" appears to be lost.

Rules of the road determine the car on the main road has the right of way while the car attempting to merge must adjust its speed to seamlessly merge into the main flow of traffic.

Additional problems with the merger people. Often the first car's speed, in a tight herd of eager rampers, is unrelated to the speed of the main traffic flow.

Too slow and the cars behind end up stopping. Too fast a merge without prejudging the main traffic flow, the first car suddenly realizes they can't merge safely and hits the brakes while the idiot in the car behind tends to slam into the first car. The Rt 202/206N ramp onto 22 east is notorious for accidents.

Yield now means, "don't worry they'll let you in, keep going....speed doesn't matter".

Stop signs have morphed into the old Yield signs. Stop, now means, "don't really come to a complete stop, just slow down a bit and and then go for it!"

Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
Alright, I'm gonna rant- listen if you want to...

Has the concept of an on ramp been completely lost on a majority of the population? Has merging become so complicated that only of handful of licensed drivers are capable of handling this rather basic maneuver?

If you drive where I drive, your answer would be an emphatic "Yes."

I don't know what it is, but noone knows what they are doing on these innocent little roads that take you from "small roads" to "big roads." They are designed not only to get you on the big road, but get you up to speed so that you can merge with traffic on the big road. Pretty basic stuff. I am sure most of us on here, get on a merge ramp, then by the time they are at the end of the ramp or have merged on the highway, they are going at least 60 mph (65 mph speed limit) traffic permitting. I'm sure you're all looking at my post saying "Duh." Well hold your horses, because it isnt that easy for some people.

Over and over again I see cars on merge lanes going way too slow, or even worse, moving into the far right lane at the same, sloth-like speed of 40 or even 30 mph. They then proceed to use the far right lane to accelerate to the speed limit (if we're lucky) over the next two miles. While that might be just dapper on a Sunday stroll with no one on the road, when you have a high-speed mass of traffic moving along, its like throwing a stick in a bicycle wheel- it f*cks everything up.

So please, those idiots who think their car is more freight train than automotible, more CSX than CRX, use the RAMP to get up to speed before getting on the highway, not the right hand lane of the highway. A merge is more than just getting on the road, its getting on the road at the appropriate speed. If this task is too daunting, then there is an entire network of secondary roads with traffic lights and speed limits of 45 mph that you would feel much more comfortable on.

Looking at this idiocy in the other direction, this would be like coming down an off-ramp to a 25 mph road going 65 mph, and then using the next 2 miles to slow down. I am sure if you presented this scenario with those offenders mentioned above, they would be aghast as the notion. Not to mention that you would become the new favorite person for the local police department.

/rant

Like I said, this was a rant- loosely or poorly structured ramblings of something that irked me today.
Tallguylehigh,

Are you in PA? If so, I get SOOOOOO irritated when I go there and try to use the on ramps. They STOP rather than use the acceleration lane as what it is named for!!

It's not a useless rant. I understand exactly what you mean.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
It's all the sotherners moving up this way - "I yield and I yield, but they just kept comin'": )

Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Tallguylehigh,

Are you in PA? If so, I get SOOOOOO irritated when I go there and try to use the on ramps. They STOP rather than use the acceleration lane as what it is named for!!

No-he must have been on the Jersey Turnpike with me this morning !!! It is truly remarkable. Thank you for ranting my rant as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
It's all the sotherners moving up this way - "I yield and I yield, but they just kept comin'": )
Is there some new northern migration into NJ that I missed? The only "southerners" moving into NJ that I recall coming en masse were coming from "south of the border"......

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
tallguy needs to get his own segment on the local news where he talks about things that "grind his gears" a la peter griffin from family guy. that way, more people can hear his rants.

but for the record, i totally agree with him.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM

505 posts, read 1,761,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Tallguylehigh,

I have lived in PA, actually went to school there, hence my ID. They are bad there, but the on ramps are terrible there too. They are too short with stop signs at the end, flashing lights telling you when to go, what a mess!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey