Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Since you know civics and have read up on this bill please name one earmark ?
Here's one I love: benefits for Filipino veterans!
Stimulus bill may include benefits for Filipino veterans - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-filipino-veterans4-2009feb04,0,4907254.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
So in other words there is no source other than the bill itself. I will continue to read the bill itself and the amendments rather than rely on news media trying to sell it to the masses on behalf of our president. Don't know what O'Reilly and Rush have to do with it as I don't listen to either one of them. Any media source will report the bits and pieces of the bill that suit them with their own slant.

GWB throwing around money before he left? Yes he did with the help of democrats including Obama. Sorry this bailout mess has blame on both sides of the aisle. It amazes me that people refuse to admit that.

Blown out of proportion? This bill is almost a trillion dollars and people dare questioning it and speaking about it equates to "blowing it way out of proportion"? How dare we question how these politicians are going to spend our money?
Look.......yes....its a lot of money....but we have never been in this situation before....my guess it that because we are in uncharted waters no one is absolutley sure what course to take but we have to move forward. Anyone who says they have the perfect plan is a liar. This is a learning situation we are in. We didn't get here in the last two weeks.....this is 8 years of financial ineptness by the GWB administration. I don't have to remind you that when Clinton left office there was a surplus and NO national debt. In fact......it was just last summer that GBW was telling us everything was fine and just last fall that the republicans and McCain was telling us the foundation of the economy was strong !!! With a track record like this why should we even be listening to what the republicans have to offer regarding financial advice ? Did the democrates vote for some of Bushes programs.....yes.....thats called bipartisnship......at this point the republicans are using their same old scare tactics and focusing on two or three "pork" issues that are less than 1% of the total bill......yes....thats blowing the facts way out of proportion. Obama has invited the republicans to the White House and offered to meet to talk about whatever compromisies they are seeking.....but all we hear is that the bill is filled with "pork" when thats really not even true. Again.....I'm not democrate or republican....I vote for who I feel is the best candidate.......GWB foundered through this whole financial mess just like he did with every other crisis this country went through under his administration......Obama has only been in office two weeks and NO president has ever been faced with cleaning up a mess like this in the past let alone the first two weeks.....this man was elected to lead......its time to step back and let him lead !!!

Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-05-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Look.......yes....its a lot of money....but we have never been in this situation before....my guess it that because we are in uncharted waters no one is absolutley sure what course to take but we have to move forward. Anyone who says they have the perfect plan is a liar. This is a learning situation we are in. We didn't get here in the last two weeks.....this is 8 years of financial ineptness by the GWB administration. I don't have to remind you that when Clinton left office there was a surplus and NO national debt.
Oh, but there was a debt. You have the debt mixed up with the deficit. The debt in 2000 was about 3.6 trillion bucks. Furthermore, the claim of Clinton balancing the budget is a specious one. Why? Because the Social Security revenues were counted twice: once for the SS fund, the other for the general fund. If you are a private business person, you'll have your doors padlocked the first time you try doing that. As it stands, if the SS fund was counted only once, as it should have, during Clinton's 8 years, then like all the other presidents before and since, his administration also ran a deficit, just not as much.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here's one I love: benefits for Filipino veterans!
Stimulus bill may include benefits for Filipino veterans - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-filipino-veterans4-2009feb04,0,4907254.story - broken link)
Thats NOT an earmark.....in fact its not even in the package.......this is a newspaper article that says what the bill MAY include !!!! I'm not sure you even understand that everything in this bill isn't about creating jobs....many of the programs proposed, many of which may sound silly to someone uninformed (don't take that as a shot as I will be the first to admit that I may not understand all the programs and their benefits myself) and are there to help pevent LOSS of jobs which also stimulates the economy because they are spending and not on unemployment. For your next example please provide something thats actually in the bill and not hearsay about what may be in the bill ???

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Oh, but there was a debt. You have the debt mixed up with the deficit. The debt in 2000 was about 3.6 trillion bucks. Furthermore, the claim of Clinton balancing the budget is a specious one. Why? Because the Social Security revenues were counted twice: once for the SS fund, the other for the general fund. If you are a private business person, you'll have your doors padlocked the first time you try doing that. As it stands, if the SS fund was counted only once, as it should have, during Clinton's 8 years, then like all the other presidents before and since, his administration also ran a deficit, just not as much.
Are you serious !!! GWB created more debt than every past president.........COMBINED !!! And that my friend is a fact !!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM

238 posts, read 728,891 times
Quote:
Look.......yes....its a lot of money....but we have never been in this situation before....my guess it that because we are in uncharted waters no one is absolutley sure what course to take but we have to move forward. Anyone who says they have the perfect plan is a liar. This is a learning situation we are in. We didn't get here in the last two weeks.....this is 8 years of financial ineptness by the GWB administration. I don't have to remind you that when Clinton left office there was a surplus and NO national debt. In fact......it was just last summer that GBW was telling us everything was fine and just last fall that the republicans and McCain was telling us the foundation of the economy was strong !!! With a track record like this why should we even be listening to what the republicans have to offer regarding financial advice ? Did the democrates vote for some of Bushes programs.....yes.....thats called bipartisnship......at this point the republicans are using their same old scare tactics and focusing on two or three "pork" issues that are less than 1% of the total bill......yes....thats blowing the facts way out of proportion. Obama has invited the republicans to the White House and offered to meet to talk about whatever compromisies they are seeking.....but all we hear is that the bill is filled with "pork" when thats really not even true. Again.....I'm not democrate or republican....I vote for who I feel is the best candidate.......GWB foundered through this whole financial mess just like he did with every other crisis this country went through under his administration......Obama has only been in office two weeks and NO president has ever been faced with cleaning up a mess like this in the past let alone the first two weeks.....this man was elected to lead......its time to step back and let him lead !!!

Indeed, Bill took the advice of former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan to tap into the Social Security account to balance out "other deficits"........thanks Alan

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Indeed, Bill took the advice of former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan to tap into the Social Security account to balance out "other deficits"........thanks Alan

You wouldn't be so silly as to attempt to suggest that the financial state of the country was better under Bush than Clinton.....would you ?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM

323 posts, read 575,089 times
if you consider tackling our problems headon ,ruining the economy ,instead of passing the debt on to your grankids ,then wait for jeb to run in 2012

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

Really? Because the Washington Post article that I read has Obama talking about the "buy American" provision causing him concern regarding protectionism. Pres Obama- a democrat is crying protectionism as well. It is amazing that you can make this partisian when it was Bill Clinton who gave us that God awful NAFTA and so-called free trade with China. Both Democrats and Republicans have sold out our American manufacturing base-it has by no means been a partisian sell out.
The calls for protectionist measures are very short-sighted and truly alarming; trade wars contributed to the great depression. Though I preferred Obama to McCain, I'd like to hear *less* protectionist rhetoric from him.

The problem with protectionist measures is that they ultimately come to bite us, because (a) they potentially drive up the costs of the shrinking portion of business that is still profitable, and (b) they invite retaliatory measures, which hurt our exports.

Here's a radical proposition -- instead of "saving jobs" propping up failing companies by via wealth transfer from the productive part of the economy to the non-productive part, why not instead save jobs by not taking as much from profitable companies (e.g. slash corporate taxes) ?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
if you consider tackling our problems headon ,ruining the economy ,instead of passing the debt on to your grankids ,then wait for jeb to run in 2012
This country may not survive the last Bush let alone another one !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey