Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 PM

70 posts, read 329,026 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys. I'm a high school senior going on a college visit to Rutgers. I fly into Newark tomorrow and I'm scared spitless of trying to get to New Brunswick by myself. I hail from Montana, where crime is all but unknown. I've heard legends of Newark's crime rep, and all my friends from NJ are absolutely aghast that I'm supposed to be traveling alone.

What would be the safest method of getting to Rutgers (New Brunswick) from the airport? A friend advised me against taking a taxi, which just leaves me with Amtrak and NJ Transit. PLEASE help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM

18 posts, read 75,370 times
Default njtransit

Hello,
dont worry.there are thousands of people who travel on evryday basis.commute is very simple to rutgers.take a car(airport shuttle) to newark international airport train station and take a train(njtransit) to new brunswick.for train schedules u can check njtransit.com.good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,809,264 times
Well she is coming into EWR, so you should be able to hop on a train directly to New Brunswick. I do not know, do you have to change over at Newark Penn?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM

70 posts, read 329,026 times
Not sure... this is the info from the NJ Transit site:

"Arriving Flights Into Newark Liberty International Airport

Connecting Service

When you fly into the airport, after claiming your baggage, you can board AirTrain to connect with NJ TRANSIT train service to New York City, or to points in New Jersey. Check a NJ TRANSIT train departure monitor in any of the airport terminals (A, B or C) to determine which train to take to your destination or to make appropriate connections.

You can purchase a ticket from one of the ticket vending machines (TVMs) at the Newark International Airport Station. TVMs accept credit cards, debit cards or U.S. currency only. Have your employer call (973) 491-7600 for information on BusinessPass and TransitChek, and other Transit Benefits programs."

Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,220,792 times
Yes, it's very easy. When you land at EWR Airport, grab your bags and look for the AIR TRAIN. AIR TRAIN will take you from the terminals to the Newark Airport Train Station, which is served by NJ Transit trains and Amtrak trains. You will use an NJ Transit train to get to New Brunswick. You can buy your NJ Transit ticket from a kiosk by the entrance to the AIR TRAIN, or at the Newark Airport Train Station. The machines accept credit, debit or cash.

When AIR TRAIN arrives at the Newark Airport Train Station, just walk downstairs to the NJ Transit platforms. Get on a Trenton-bound NJ Transit train. Do not get on New York-bound trains or AMTRAK trains. There are TV monitors on the platform which will tell you which trains are coming next, and the conductors hop off the train when it stops, and you can ask them if it's the right train for you. Just ask "Does this train stop at New Brunswick?" If the conductor says yes, get on the train and take a seat. The conductor will come by later to punch your ticket. If you forget to buy your ticket at the airport before getting on the train, you can buy it from the conductor, but they usually charge a $5 fee on top of the fare for buying on-board and only accept cash.

It's a 20-30 minute trip from the airport to New Brunswick on the NJ Transit train. It's a comfortable ride, but if you're on the train during evening rush hour, it will be crowded. When the train stops at New Brunswick, get off and walk downstairs to the street. If you're going to the College Avenue Campus, it's right next to the train station. If you need to get to another campus, there are free Rutgers buses, or you can catch a cab from the cab stand right next to New Brunswick Train Station. Most cab rides around New Brunswick are less than $8. If you're going to Livingston or Busch campuses in Piscataway, the fare may be higher.

And, if at any point you feel you're lost or aren't sure which train to get on or which street to walk down, don't be afraid to ask for directions. Despite NJ's reputation, most people are friendly and able to help.

For train schedules and fares, Select "Newark Airport" in the "From" box and "New Brunswick" in the "To" box, and select the time you're traveling.
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...inSchedulesTo#

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM

786 posts, read 2,655,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
Hi, guys. I'm a high school senior going on a college visit to Rutgers. I fly into Newark tomorrow and I'm scared spitless of trying to get to New Brunswick by myself. I hail from Montana, where crime is all but unknown. I've heard legends of Newark's crime rep, and all my friends from NJ are absolutely aghast that I'm supposed to be traveling alone.

What would be the safest method of getting to Rutgers (New Brunswick) from the airport? A friend advised me against taking a taxi, which just leaves me with Amtrak and NJ Transit. PLEASE help!
I would take NJ Transit train...it drops you off right into College Ave Campus in New Brunswick.

TRAIN:
From New York Penn Station (45 minutes ride) or Newark Penn Station (30 minutes ride) take New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor Line trains to New Brunswick Train Station. One way fare from NY Penn Station and Newark Penn station are ~$8 and ~$5, respectively.

BUS:
Bus connection (#302 Airlink) is available from Newark Airport Terminals A/B/C to Newark Penn Station (~$1), where you can take Amtrak or New Jersey Transit train to New Brunswick Train Station (~$5). This is the cheapest way to get to New Brunswick form the Airport, but not recommended if you have less time and a lot of luggage.

LIMO/SHUTTLE:
Limousine/Shuttle services : Use State Shuttle ($30- $40/per person/each way, 30-45 minutes ride) between the Airport and New Brunswick area hotels

Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,019,848 times
i love how these out-of-staters automatically assume that they'll get stabbed or shot merely by being within the municipal boundaries of newark.

seriously, don't believe everything you hear about newark or new jersey in general. while newark is indeed a rough city for the most part, it's not like you'll be hanging out in any of the crime-ridden areas - you'll simply be arriving at the airport (which is on the fringes of town, far away from any residential neighborhoods) and then catching a train down to new brunswick. and even within newark itself, there are some very decent areas such as downtown (which is filled with office towers and white collar workers) and the ironbound (which is a lively brazilian/portuguese neighborhood that has some of the best ethnic food in the state).

to answer your question, it's actually quite safe and easy to get to rutgers from newark via mass transit. the simplest and most cost efficient way to do so is by train. don't take a taxi, which will be prohibitively expensive. seriously, there is nothing to worry about, and you'll be just fine if you follow the instructions below.

from the airport terminals, take the monorail (a.k.a. the airtrain, which is free) to the newark airport train station. at the station, switch to the northeast corridor line, which is operated by nj transit. make sure to catch the trenton-bound train and NOT the new york-bound train. also, remember to purchase your one-way ticket to new brunswick before boarding the train - there are ticket vending machines on the station platform.

when boarding the train, i'd highly recommend that you speak with the conductor or one of the passengers to confirm that it is indeed making a stop at new brunswick. that's because there is another nj transit train - the north jersey coast line - that also stops at newark airport, but does not pass by new brunswick. if you accidentally get on that train, you'll have to backtrack to the airport station and then switch to the northeast corridor line.

also, make sure not to get on the amtrak train, which is way more expensive than nj transit. while amtrak does make a stop at new brunswick, it isn't worth paying that much more money to make the exact same trip that can been done on the northeast corridor line.

once you've boarded the train, the trip from newark airport to new brunswick will take anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes, depending on whether you catch a local train or an express train.

when you arrive at the new brunswick station, walk along the platform toward the front of the train, then go down the stairs to street level, which is at the T-intersection of easton ave and albany street.

head north along easton ave for 1 block, then turn right onto somerset street. after 1 block, turn left onto college avenue, which brings you to the heart of the campus.

college avenue is the main artery of rutgers's college avenue campus and the location of many of the university's administrative buildings, not to mention the starting point of most campus tours.

one final note:
if you're really considering going to school at rutgers, the first thing you need to do is to forget all of the jersey stereotypes and come in with an open mind. if you do that, i'm sure you'll fit in quite nicely. rutgers is a great school and the experience of living in the new york metropolitan area for a few years will be awesome, as new jersey has a lot to offer (beaches, mountains, shopping, great food, historic towns) and nyc and philly are a quick train ride away.

good luck and have fun.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post

how do people nationally think Newark is so bad?? Is it because of Redman? All it takes is one rap song, like NWA who rapped about life in Compton, a city no bigger than Camden lol

Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times
ok without writing an essey here.

once u grab ur bags ask where AirTrain Newark station is, not the airline Airtran. Take it to Airport Station. Then find the right track for NJTransit NortheastCorridor trains and waite, u'll know it's right if New Brunswick is listed - it's the one going to Trenton

AirTrain Newark> Off-Airport Connenctions (http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/offairport_newark.html - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,940,327 times
Small gangs of marauding, big, scary black men greet each & every passenger arriving at Newark airport with a complementary stabbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey