U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,555,365 times

Advertisements

Newarkbomb.................. I have now seen you suggest Bogota, but steer people away from Teaneck.
Really?
Its public schools, commercial blocks & neighborhoods are far superior.
If you are so inclined, do explain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 AM

329 posts, read 1,467,379 times
Try New Milford NJ.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM

20 posts, read 40,659 times
Default Wayne,Verona,Roseland,Cedar Grove,Caldwell Boro,Millburn Twp., & More suggestions?

Thank you all.

Based on the information I received, I have come across some really decent rentals in – Wayne, Verona, Roseland, Cedar Grove, Caldwell Boro Twp., and Millburn Twp.

The rentals are: 1-2 bedroom apt. complex, condo complex and multifamily homes.

The price range is: $1200-$1800 with heat/hot water/gas + amenities such as pool or fitness centers included.

Can you suggest me some more areas that have decent rentals, safe/very low crime, art-cultural access, access to shopping and activities but at the same time have natural or country kind of feel – In all, I am looking for something of all in the area.

Can you also comment on the areas that I have found i.e. Wayne, Verona, Roseland, Cedar Grove, Caldwell Boro Twp., and Millburn Twp.

We are in learning mode so, more the suggestions/info. the better! Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,073,568 times
Well, Millburn is a very nice town with trains to NYC and a thriving downtown, A plus shopping, really, for clothes. Those women take their fashion VERY SERIOUSLY. It's linked with Short Hills, which is a really rich town. Not much of a natural/country feel though. It's pretty busy. I knew someone who lived for many years in an apartment complex there and she hated it and said it was a dump. I wonder if it's the same place you're looking at. I wish I knew the name of it but I don't.

You're really not going to find a country feel in that section of NJ. I've been to Ann Arbor, and the whole swath of the state is much busier than that.

Verona is close to Montclair. You might like that. I'm assuming Montclair is out of your budget.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,848,910 times
I was thinking Montclair also.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

My job is in Bloomfield, NJ. We (my wife and I) want to first go for 1 BR apt., get to know the area... then go for buying.

Based on our initial search we have finalized following areas/communities.

Your suggestions and/or opinions are all welcome. It would greatly help us! Thanks in advance.

1. Wayne, NJ (community: 2 Hazen Court, Wayne, NJ 07470)

2. Cedar Grove, NJ (community: 146 Tierney Drive, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009)

3. West Orange, NJ (community: 200 Mount Pleasant Avenue, West Orange, NJ 07052)

4. Lake Hopatcong, NJ (community: 1 Gerhardt Road, Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849)

5. Hamburg, NJ (community: 45 Burlington Court, Hamburg, NJ 07419)

6. Spring field, NJ (community 1: 100 Stonehill Rd, Springfield, NJ 07081 and community 2: 4 Forest Drive, Springfield, NJ 07081)

7. Rockaway, NJ (community: 10 Mt. Pleasant Avenue, Rockaway, NJ 07801)

8. Parlin, NJ (20 Pointe of Woods Dr. North, Parlin, NJ 08859)

What is your pick out of these 9 listed above? the best one out of the list? thanks

Last edited by RJMJ1980; 03-15-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 27,753 times
Given that you mentioned the arts, you might want to pick towns that New Yorkers move to when they move out of the city for a bit more room -- you first asked about Bloomfield and it's where I landed years ago after downtown (and at that point very artsy) Jersey City, previously lived in the West Village. I worked on tv commercials and we shot in Montclair so that's how I found my way here. Bloomfield was the closest affordable town with transportation to NYC that made sense -- it's a five minute drive on local streets to Montclair.
Verona is 2 towns over from Bloomfield -- all the towns are close. It has no train and the bus to NYC takes a bit longer, so it's a bit less popular. Montclair would make you very happy, but it is not cheap -- hence why we bought into Bloomfield and just drive over to go to restaurants, etc. Cedar Grove is more conservative -- taxes are more affordable though which is one reason it gets higher ratings. Forget about Essex Fells -- most of the homes are 1 mil plus and no rentals. The Caldwells are also a bit more conservative -- a bit further west too (we're talking small degrees here) but again, taxes are low, schools pretty good so it gets good marks.
If you're going to rent check out Montclair. You'll enjoy the town, be more likely to meet other artsy people, and have close access to New York. Don't expect apartment complexes with amenities and whatnot -- it just isn't what is out here -- but you can find a nice floor through in a 3 family older home with great woodwork, a fireplace and detailing for 2000 (2 bedroom).
If I sound like I know my stuff, it's because this is what I do

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies.

We just got back from NJ and we have finalized an apartment in Springfield. Actually, it is on borderline of Springfield and Summit - right off I-78.

Its a very nice area with a park nearby called Briant Park.

Also, it is very close to downtown Summit and close to Short Hills Mall.

Its about 30-35 min. from my job although GSP toll could be a minor issue but it balances with a nice area.

Once again thank you all.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,395,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Newarkbomb.................. I have now seen you suggest Bogota, but steer people away from Teaneck.
Really?
Its public schools, commercial blocks & neighborhoods are far superior.
If you are so inclined, do explain.
it's funny,
I just saw this now.. and at the same time i'm moving to Teaneck in May... I didn't suggest it because it's not that big on rentals.

But congrats to the OP! hope all goes well!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM

105 posts, read 302,871 times
Just wanted to say congrats on finding a place. I am a native Ann Arborite, and just moved to Summit last month with my husband and 2 children from Ann Arbor. If you have any questions regarding some of the nearby areas, and how they compare to Ann Arbor, feel free to contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMJ1980 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and replies.

We just got back from NJ and we have finalized an apartment in Springfield. Actually, it is on borderline of Springfield and Summit - right off I-78.

Its a very nice area with a park nearby called Briant Park.

Also, it is very close to downtown Summit and close to Short Hills Mall.

Its about 30-35 min. from my job although GSP toll could be a minor issue but it balances with a nice area.

Once again thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey